WorldCon 2010 - Melbourne (we hope)

GOLLUM

Hi there,

I recently attended a mini-con in Melbourne, OZ where I hooked up with world-class aussie artist Shaun Tan. Anyways, I've made contact with some of the folks at the organising committee for Melbourne 2010 and will probably be assiting in various ways, so I will post any news I can here.

Just so you know, I beleive August 9th 2008 will be the date when we know if Melbourne gets the Worldcon for 2010. Currently thre is no-one else (other than a group of suspect aliens) bidding against us, so our chances are pretty high.

Cheers...

(sigh) Well, it might just as well be in Melbourne as in any of the other places I would love to go but can't.

I wish you good luck with the bid.

Very cool. Hope you get it!

Never been to a WorldCon, probably won't make it to one in 2010. (Not unless someone drops me a winning lotto ticket *g*)

Have fun with org'ing and planning and the like!

(sigh) Well, it might just as well be in Melbourne as in any of the other places I would love to go but can't.

..but what about the ones in the US?? Can you not or have you not attended any of those?

This year is Denver, Colarado, next year Canada.

@Thanks Higlander....:)

I've been to two WorldCons, one in San Francisco, and one in San Jose -- but from a travel standpoint where's the fun in that? I can go to either of those places any time I want.

Places like Melbourne and Glasgow, and yes, even Denver, are alluring with or without the WorldCon -- but all of them are equally beyond my means.

Oh..sorry to hear that.

Perhaps I can post some pics from Canada and Melbourne, better than nothing I guess..

Gollum I don't think there will be any problem with Melbourne winning the bid as that is who my money will be on,but there again I did pre-support Chicago and they lost just by 12 votes, but you should win no problem as I would like to go anyway I will find out at Denver.:):)

Gollum I don't think there will be any problem with Melbourne winning the bid as that is who my money will be on,but there again I did pre-support Chicago and they lost just by 12 votes, but you should win no problem as I would like to go anyway I will find out at Denver.:):)
Yes it would be great if you could put your support behind us at Denver. It would also mean if you came to Melbourne we could finally meet up as we had planned to do at last year's event.

Cheers...

I read somewhere the other day that they are looking at either Reno, NV or Seattle, WA for 2011. Either would be great for me. I spend a lot of time on business in Seattle and Reno is just over the Sierra Nevada from me. Yaahoo!

Make that eight!!!!! Hey its close for me, only an hour away at most! I love the idea.