The Day of The Triffids - BBC Remake (2009)

I saw this and thought 'oh dear. Another remaking that will almost certainly have an extreme PC bent. Why can't they come up with something original?'
Then I spotted the fact that this will be the third time the BBC has remade Triffids.
Seriously, they need to get some new ideas.

Yeah, I think any BBC remake will be dogged by political correctness (Dr Who I'm looking at you).

Has the 80s version come out on R2 DVD yet?

I once caught an episode of Sci-fi channel a few months ago and I forgot how much I enjoyed it!

Day of the Triffids. 28th Dec 21:00 BBC1

Been looking forward to this over Xmas. Am hoping its better then the recent Quatermass and A for Andromeda remakes.

Re: Day of the Triffids. 28th Dec 21:00 BBC1

I saw the adverts for this today and i have to say that it looks pretty good, i'll need to see if the wife's interested though.

I'm looking forward to watching this tonight. Feeling a bit, erm, nervous as the Beeb's track record lately is pretty atrocious - last year's 39 Steps remake was abysmal, Paradox was monstrous, and the ongoing Doctor Who disaster sets my teeth on edge.

But Triffids is a good story - how can they go wrong? Apart from Izzard, already.

Ah, its that guy out of Trainspotting again, he was in Spooks a couple of weeks ago. Can't place the Police / Security woman yet.

Does anybody else find that filming in HD helps betray the 'fakeness' of paticular scenes?

Just watched the first 45 minutes.

Naff. Iredeemably naff.

They've turned it into Bladerunner meets Aliens with plants than can sprint and 'always go for the eyes', a terrible 'hard-boiled' voiceover and a man who can survive a plane crash by locking himself in the loo with half a dozen plastic lifebelts.

Oh, and the triffids seem to eat things by dissolving them alive like the blob rather than tearing bits off rotting carcasses. And they scream when shot.:(

It's going to be almost as bad as the film version.

I'll give it another ten minutes or so.

Last edited:

Its a bit poo, but no doubt I'll tune in tomorrow.

Gah. Or do I mean meh?

If the triffids were desirous of food, why didn't they eat the people they killed at the farms?

Also, for 500 farms of 20,000 triffids each to account for even 50% of the UK's fossil fuel consumption would require milking 28kg of usable oil from each triffid per day. Not remotely likely. (Yes, I did bother to work that out, but only because the programme annoyed me so much.)

I thought Rodney and Del Boy were going to be in it!

Day of the Triffic:)

I made it to the end (just) but I'm not sure I'll bother with part two.

I nearly gave up when it became obvious that the Beeb was trying at all costs to avoid making the whole thing '28 Days Later with plants instead of zombies' but doing it anyway.

Wasn't she the rogue CIA woman in Spooks?

Ah, spotted her :) I meant the one who was working at the Triffid plant. Just looked her up on IMDB, can't spot her in anything I'd recognize.

*slaps Gary for that pun* :)

I rather enjoyed it once it got going. They are indeed treating it 28 Days Later with plants instead of zombies. Bit disappointed that Coker is an American, and that the substance of his role has been sacrificed to create a star part for Eddie Izzard.

We're only half-way through, but it looks like the '81 version will remain definitive. Rightly so.

While I digest the episode itself, I'd like to mention the excessive trailer for Part II. Did we really need to see all that to make us watch it? (And are there any major incidents we didn't catch a glimpse of?)

Its a shame it wasn't better, the BBC can turn out some top quality stuff when it wants to.

I was half watching and half online. Might be why I didn't think it was too bad! Ended up dreaming about triffids though.