Bioware announces Star Wars Old Republic MMO

Rahl Windsong

Last of the Windsong Clan
It has been a rumor for months now but Bioware has now made it official with the announcement of their new MMO in development, Star Wars The Old Republic!

I can hardly wait! This storyline has delivered some of my all time favorite single player games and now to have an MMO to play in that storyline and Bioware the developer, well I could not be happier about this news!

Check it out here: Game Info Overview | Star Wars: The Old Republic

Last edited:
It was the world's worst kept secret, but I have to admit it's a little exciting. I just wish it shared more of the asthetic of the KOTOR games. While we're at it, what's with the huge lightsabers? I know they're gonna be shrunk a little, but even so, I don't think I want a clone wars mmo.

I'd rather they made another Sonic RPG on the DS than this, in fact i'd rather they made anything apart from this nonsense.

MMO's are a waste of time. Endless grinding and pointless levelling with no real end in sight, populated by idiots (i'm sure some of them are ok), a world full of hero wannabe's all chasing the same goal like headless chickens. (I mean nobody wants to be a shopkeeper, or someone who cleans the deathstar, they all want to be powerful jedi or sith)

In a world where everone is special, nobody is.

And yes I have read all the stories about how they say this one will be different and will concentrate on story etc etc etc. *Snore*

They should have made Kotr3.

I'd rather they made another Sonic RPG on the DS than this, in fact i'd rather they made anything apart from this nonsense.

MMO's are a waste of time. Endless grinding and pointless levelling with no real end in sight, populated by idiots (i'm sure some of them are ok), a world full of hero wannabe's all chasing the same goal like headless chickens. (I mean nobody wants to be a shopkeeper, or someone who cleans the deathstar, they all want to be powerful jedi or sith)

In a world where everone is special, nobody is.

And yes I have read all the stories about how they say this one will be different and will concentrate on story etc etc etc. *Snore*

They should have made Kotr3.

They should've made Kotor 2 for that matter. And the idea here is that they're trying to turn quite a few of those old tropes on their head, possibly subvert the genre entirely. If they do it with any modicum of success than I'll be happy.

And to be honest, I'd much rather have something, than nothing at all.

They didn't. Kotr2 was made by Obsidian not Bioware.

Even so it was a flawed game (esp the rushed and incomplete ending), but still infinity better than an MMO.

KOTOR 2 was a crime!
as for boiware I am skeptical - they are EA owned and after the flop of Spore I am not holding any more hopes.
Sadly they own so many big name developers - westwood (or whats left of them) bioware - and many more. Heck Red Alert 3 I might get as a fan..........................

I hate EA, but not as much as I hate the EA marketing team!

They are all jumping on the MMO bandwagon because WOW makes so much money, it's a monthly rather than one off payment and it is impossible to pirate (well virtually impossible).

true, but EA won't win - they just don't give the user support after release like blizzard do.
That said I still hope that GuildWars 2 comes out and makes a big hit - IMO that is a better game makeup because:

1) its not monthly subscription fees- granted you lose a bit from this, but its much more friendly to bank balances

2) you don't have to grind away hours and hours of time just ot get a decent level character - you can play when you like and if you don't play for a few months you can come back and still be a valid team member. I think they need to focus more on story and gameplay options and interactions rather than on leveling.

unfortunately, all that money that WOW makes is pretty much locked in WOW.

Of course, they said that about everquest, and we all know how that ended.

The world probably is ready for a new record breaking MMORPG, but I don't think this will be it.

While I am excited about another Star Wars game...MMO? You have to be kidding.

Have they announced what console it will be on?

As far as I know it's PC only right now, but they haven't ruled out a console release. Xbox 360 would make the most sense, I guess, since the KOTOR games were Xbox exclusives... on consoles anyhow.

As far as I know it's PC only right now, but they haven't ruled out a console release. Xbox 360 would make the most sense, I guess, since the KOTOR games were Xbox exclusives... on consoles anyhow.

EA now own them don't they? I doubt it would be console exclusive to 360 then.

Hey hey, EA's last game - Dead Space - is meant to be really good. Perhaps they are learning (and perhaps they are hands off with companies they have purchased).

They've been trying to take more of a backseat with the companies they've acquired, letting them have their own voice and all that -- Mythic comes to mind here, who were given complete freedom and quite a bit of cash to get Warhammer: Online to the level of quality the license deserved. Hopefully they're (EA) learning their lesson.

And Dead Space has been phenomenal so far. I'm really, really impressed with the entire experience. EA has gotten a lot of flak, but they're still very capable of producing solid titles.

I think it's safe to say EA aren't going to dip their fingers too deeply in BioWare's pot -- I'm certain they're not that arrogant...or are they? ;)

EA do seem to have turned things around recently; even the obligatory yearly updates have shown some evidence of actual effort.

I never, ever thought I'd have something nice to say about EA again. I'd better check the thermostat in Hell.