Comic to Movie - best/worst/general chat

Maybe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

It would have been alot better if Connery would have left Norrington alone to direct the dang movie XD
I enjoyed the movie, but I admit it was a mess because of the creative differences between Connery (executive producer) and Norrington (director).

It would have been alot better if Connery would have left Norrington alone to direct the dang movie XD
I enjoyed the movie, but I admit it was a mess because of the creative differences between Connery (executive producer) and Norrington (director).

Norrington made a pretty decent movie with Blade, so it comes down to the material. The film's script is utter garbage, which makes it pretty un-salvageable.
I wasn't aware of the Connery/Norrington creative difference thing, so now that you mention it, it makes sense and explains a LOT.

Last edited:
american splendour is probably my favourite movie of a comic,a truly beautiful film, also hardware, which was based on a 2000 ad one off script. i loved the crow when i was a teenager but i cringe a bit at just how much i loved it now, but still, beautifully shot and an amazing soundtrack.

The best adaptation is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, in my opinion. And that's one where the movie came out during the comic run, before the graphic novel was even close to being finished. Most folks don't even seem to know that the comic version exists--and really expands everything in a fabulous way. It's one of my favourite fanta-sci-fi movies, and it may very well be the graphic novel at the top of my list.

The comic version spanned '82-'94, the movie came out in 1984.

I've always wondered whether or not the movie adaptations of comics hire out or at least in some marginal manner, employ, the original writers and/or illustrators of the comic. Often there seems to be a love-loss between the comic and movie mediums which could be in part to a lack of reference with the comic's writer and/or illustrator. It's not because the mediums don't correlate or lack some type of equitable relation, the matter's dependent on contour.

Most comics avert from a frame-by-frame depiction while movies require just that. Say you make a movie out of a comic, but due the discrepancies of their mediums, have to place "filler" in-between spaces a comic would omit. This results in a take-away from the comic by merely adding or subtracting scenes for the movie adaptation. If a comic were stylized as a kind of hybrid between the two, I'd imagine the transference would go a ton smoother. It's just that movies have a pretty standardized formula, while comics offer a greater variety of style.

I'd have to say V for Vendetta was one of my favorites. Watchmen was over hyped in my opinion, but the story is very compelling; moreover on a convoluted end of the spectrum, that I felt mainstream movie goers had go over their heads.

P.S. I think movie writers just aren't very good, but given some of the dialogue I've read in comics, comic writers my fall under that as well. I say this well-knowing there are quality exceptions to the statement.

Batman Begins is one of my favorite movies. I was glad they finally dug into why someone would dress up like a bat and fight armed criminals with his bare hands.

From what I've seen, the best comic book movies and TV shows lift directly from the comic books. Batman Begins was based on Batman: Year One, and The Dark Knight was loosely based on The Long Halloween. Captain America: The Winter Soldier also lifted heavily from the comics.

The worst comic book movie, hands down, is Batman v. Superman. I don't know how you screw up a movie featuring the two biggest pop culture icons in history, but somehow they did. My favorite scene was the part where Wonder Woman looks up the footage of the future Justice League heroes on the flash drive. She looks at some footage of Aquaman, who just sort of pokes the camera with his trident. Like he's casually saying "Dude, get out of here. You think I want any part in this movie? No, man, just get off my lawn."

Best: Nolan's Batman trilogy, Burton first two Batman films, Guardians of The Galaxy, Raimi's Spider Man and the first of the most recent Captain America films
Worst: The Green Lantern, Thor, Avenger's 2.

Back