Under the Dome

All of his books after Wizard and Glass -- so, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower, Cell, Lisey's Story, Duma Key, Just After Sunset -- I have in hardback, so I don't think I can break the habit now. (I have a few others in hardback, but they're older ones picked up for a few pounds from carboots and whatnot...)

He's about the only author I follow so intently and currently that I'll want the book when it's first published (well, Scott Lynch is starting to become an exception) so I can convince myself that it's OK going for hardback when it's King.

Books are very expensive nowadays, but I'm so behind with all these authors that I need to read, most I can pick up from secondhand book shops, at least...

Hiya

I know I've been away a while but I have to tell someone. Under the Dome I had it for my birthday, started reading it Saturday just put it down.
In one word BRILLIANT!!!!!! awful but brilliant won't say more till someone's read it

I saw this in the shops the other day. I must say that it looked tempting.

Reading it now, about 150 pages in, pretty good. Certainly intriguing, and given who we've met so far, likely to get quite nasty.

You can't beat a big SK book.

I'm 100 pages in, I see a few rehased themes (Norman from Rose Madder) but that's not bad, definitely Cell flavored rather than early SK

Soooo, I ordered it, it arrived, and despite the fact that I shouldn't be reading it at the moment, I am. It's sucked me in good and proper. I'm on page 184 and really enjoying it.

My Masters course is making me more aware of King's writing now and clumsy bits; that's one thing I thought I'd never do, pick through King's writing. But I'm really getting into the story now, so it's happening less and less.

Some rather unexpected moments, indeed...people (well, I mainly have one person in mind here) you think are going to be a major character, and then something entirely abrupt happens. I'm sure you're thinking of the right person...that was a shocker, rather early on in the book.

The usual colourful characters are out in full force.

Soooo, I ordered it, it arrived, and despite the fact that I shouldn't be reading it at the moment, I am. It's sucked me in good and proper. I'm on page 184 and really enjoying it.

My Masters course is making me more aware of King's writing now and clumsy bits; that's one thing I thought I'd never do, pick through King's writing. But I'm really getting into the story now, so it's happening less and less.

Some rather unexpected moments, indeed...people (well, I mainly have one person in mind here) you think are going to be a major character, and then something entirely abrupt happens. I'm sure you're thinking of the right person...that was a shocker, rather early on in the book.

The usual colourful characters are out in full force.
Yeah, King is the first to say that his writing (the actual nuts and bolts of it) are something to be desired; for him, it is the plot, the substance, that is most important.

He's also brilliant at tapping into the dark underbelly of the human soul. His characters whether they be good or bad are well defined. Always been a huge fan. The Stand is still the top of my list.

Has anyone read Under The Dome yet?

Last edited:
He's also brilliant at tapping into the dark underbelly of the human soul. His characters whether they be good or bad are well defined. Always been a huge fan. The Stand is still the top of my list.

Has anyone read Under The Dome yet?
Under the Dome is excellent.

I got this book for Christmas and am about 3/4 the way through. It has a very similar feel to The Stand almost to the point where the same characters are used only with different names and slightly different backgrounds. King is also starting to recycle some of his catchphrases it seems.

I am about 80 pages in and definitely very intrigued. Just a quick one:
****SPOILER AHEAD****

Is Gendron on the outside of the dome or the inside? I am not sure I figured that part out yet.

****SPOILER ENDS****

Hi biodroid.This confused me so much i started the book again.But Paul Gendron (Sea Dogs) is on the outside of the Dome.This is one of his best books for years.

The guy in the cap that Barbie first meets? Yes, very much on the outside. I like that guy, I hope he and Barbie get to meet properly.

Got my copy last week, too busy reading other stuff to dig in yet. Might start today.