30.03: Planet of the Ood

I thought it was one of the better episodes. As the monster was a corporation and the 'monsters' were the victims. How many people were expecting the ood to be the bad guys.

I agree with chopper, it was nice to give the Ood a neat ending.

I thought the special effects - well the views of the ood-sphere were very good.

(PS. Bring back Reinette as companion!)

Unlikely - as good as she would be, the Doctor cannot crossover into established events and since she died during the episode, it is highly unlikely that the Doctor will go back and change history just to have her as a companion.

Someone who I would like to see as the next companion is Sally Sparrow from "Blink". She has the intelligence to understand and appreciate the life the Doctor leads and the humanity to represent us on her journey. I really think she would make a great companion and combine the best of Rose, Martha and Donna.

would have been great, but reinette was too hot - they'd have never left the tardis. :D

Someone who I would like to see as the next companion is Sally Sparrow from "Blink". She has the intelligence to understand and appreciate the life the Doctor leads and the humanity to represent us on her journey. I really think she would make a great companion and combine the best of Rose, Martha and Donna.
Agreed. Apart from anything else, she can act. Still not sure Tate can...;)

Sally Sparrow was great. And Reinette was too.

In fact, get rid of the Doctor and have a series with the two of them in it:D

Was I the only one who didn't like -- well, no, I can't say that, Sally was good in Blink, but I certainly wouldn't want her to be the companion. There was something about her that would put me off if she were to become such.

Agreed. Apart from anything else, she can act. Still not sure Tate can...;)
Maybe not, but Tate's still a better actress than Martha. Though not as attractive, clearly;)

As for this episode... I really liked it, though only because it had the Ood in it really, and they're all sorts of awesome :) It was a little convenient, but not too bad.

However, they really need to step up this series soon, it's getting a little dissapointing.

Sally Sparrow was great. And Reinette was too.

In fact, get rid of the Doctor and have a series with the two of them in it:D

Long, slow exhale....

"Sally Sparrow Investigates" could do as well as the kid's Sarah Jane thing they're showing. Sadly I'd have to agree about the timelines for Reinette but a distant grand-daughter (even out of wedlock) who also just happened to be played by Sophia Myles... the possibilities are too distracting

Incidentally - "Confidential" explained that the inside of the containers warehouse was filmed at RAF St Athan. Does anyone know where the outside of the Ood-sphere was filmed. Looked more industrial than an RAF base, and looked genuine.

I still want Rose back :)

Although Madame de Pompadure would be an awesome companion :)

And I would like anyone more than Martha.

Even Jackie :p

Does anyone know where the outside of the Ood-sphere was filmed. Looked more industrial than an RAF base, and looked genuine.
My thoughts at the time were that it looked too industrial. That's not a criticism, it just led me to be expecting more to the Ood processing than surgery and psychological conditioning.

My guess would be an old steelworks - a rolling mill or something like that. I expect that although it looked good on the outside, the inside was too dilapidated to use for the 'brain' scene.
Steel Works, Rover Way, Cardiff - A Fullscreen 360 degree Virtual Tour Cardiff, Wales UK

My favourite episode in this series so far by a mile. Alien landscape, good pacey plot. Liked the continuing 'missing bees' reference and the reference to the Doctor's song ending soon.

But the main reason I enjoyed it - as DT said in Confidential - 'You've gotta love an Ood'!!

Pity it dragged up the old Sci fi cliché that when ever an alien race is attacked for being an immigrant or being used as a slave the person cracking the whip is black.
As for Reinette as a companion
a) she is an historical character and that would screw with a whole load of timelines.
b) she seems to be busy in the states at the moment with a vampire in Moonlight.

As for Reinette as a companion
a) she is an historical character and that would screw with a whole load of timelines.

I'm not saying she should be a companion, but... they're all historical, from the Doctor's point of view surely? Or do you mean something different?

Much as I had my doubts when I heard that CT was to be the new companion, I think she's already making a good stab at the part. And I must say, I find the the lack of a romantic sub-plot a nice change.

I say, give her a fair chance..."let's see what happens", to coin a phrase....:p

I'd believe there wasn't a romantic subtext a bit more if the two "not" involved with each other didn't keep shouting that there wasn't anything going on between them at every possible opportunity. (Wasn't this the plot of a lot of Hollywood movies in the 1930s? And didn't it always end at the altar; the couple being always the last to know. Not that I believe that this is going to happen. :eek:)

I'd believe there wasn't a romantic subtext a bit more if the two "not" involved with each other didn't keep shouting that there wasn't anything going on between them at every possible opportunity.

Yes, I agree that's a good point, Ursa...well, when I worked through the syntax of that sentence, I'm pretty sure I agree...But I honestly can't see it, myself.

Sort of "the lady doth protest too much, methinks", as Queen Gertrude says...

With a program you can use indentation to show the structure.

(And I'm practicing living in a world where commas are frowned upon; it'll be upon us before we know it if we're not careful. ;):()

Back