Looking for book series that ends in guy landing on sentient planet.

Johannsentodd

Hello all, looking for a book series I read in the somewhere in 2010-2015. It is an entire series that involves an ongoing battle across generations between forces of earth and an alien civilization. I believe at one point in the series there is a battle on Mars with marines making a race across Mars and leader becoming a revered hero, but may be a different book series. At the end of series, an old admiral, the main character from first book when he was a new recruit, travels on a ship to aliens home planet and discovers the planet is the sentient being and has a conversation with it. Any help is appreciated.

Hhhmmm. Might need more details. Sounds somewhat like Michael Cobley’s Humanity’s Fire series starting in 2009.

Hhhmmm. Might need more details. Sounds somewhat like Michael Cobley’s Humanity’s Fire series starting in 2009.
I looked at that one, don't think it's it. I know they fought a battle on one book on Titan I think, or one of the other moons of the gas giants, against the aliens. Not really any space battles in it. Everything in the series is essentially planet based marines in battle.

Maybe it's "Heritage Trilogy" of Ian Douglas?
I think this is what I was thinking of with my comments on Mars. Can't find any info on the ending of this series though to see if it matches up with ending with one guy crashing on sentient planet and convincing it that humans are not a hive mind and the planet has been killing individuals. Again, I may actually be thinking of 2 separate book series here. Are the Xul I see mentioned in series materials a hive mind species?

Hello all, looking for a book series I read in the somewhere in 2010-2015. It is an entire series that involves an ongoing battle across generations between forces of earth and an alien civilization. I believe at one point in the series there is a battle on Mars with marines making a race across Mars and leader becoming a revered hero, but may be a different book series. At the end of series, an old admiral, the main character from first book when he was a new recruit, travels on a ship to aliens home planet and discovers the planet is the sentient being and has a conversation with it. Any help is appreciated.

It doesn't sound like any series ive ever heard of . But story wise its sound quite interesting .:cool:

If I mat offer a suggestion and though it not your looking for you might find of interest

The ColdFire Trilogy by C S Friedman .:)

... one guy crashing on sentient planet and convincing it that humans are not a hive mind and the planet has been killing individuals.
Hmm, this makes me think of Hunter, Come Home by Richard McKenna. The planet's living (Gaia) system is sentient and starts to kill people because they are acting like they are a threat. But AFAICR it's a standalone book.

guy crashing on sentient planet and convincing it that humans are not a hive mind and the planet has been killing individuals. Again, I may actually be thinking of 2 separate book series here
Oh, then I think it's Ender's Game. I had suspicions that you may be talking about it, but Mars race led me to Heritage Trilogy.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 33
Definitely not enders game, read that multiple times. And also not Hunter, Come Home. May just have to call this one a loss. I just don't think I remember enough about it to give a good description.

And the forum has some Q&A about sentient planets here and here. (Searched for the phrase.)
Hmm, this makes me think of Hunter, Come Home by Richard McKenna. The planet's living (Gaia) system is sentient and starts to kill people because they are acting like they are a threat. But AFAICR it's a standalone book.
Yes, I thought of that too. Searched for "sentient planet" in the forums. Even started to type up posting the links. But even though "Hunter Come Home" had some kind of cold war going between two camps/types of humans (iirc), none of the stories had a battle across generation between the forces of earth and an alien civilization.
I searched around a while, found nothing definite, and closed my browser with a definitive snap heard at least 11 inches away! :)
Came back to see if the story had been found.
(Looks like the site remembered my links. Still no interplanetary battles, though.)

Back