Charlton Heston - RIP

tangaloomababe

Living in Paradise
It is sad news indeed that Charlton Heston has passed away.

I recall I was in my first year of High School and the whole school were treated to a showing of Chuck's fine performance in Ben Hur. The movie was relatively old by then but still a great watch. I have seen it many many times since then and so many other wonderful performances by Chuck in movies such as Planet of the Apes (the original and the best), Soylent Green and The Omega Man but Ben Hur remains the firm favorite.

His movies will remain as a legacy to a very fine actor.

Miss you Chuck and thank you for making movies so enjoyable.

Second that, tanga.
I'll always remember him as George Taylor in the original, and by far the best Planet of the Apes, and that wonderful scene on the beach, right at the end.
A true Hollywood Great: they don't make them as large these days, somehow...

One of my real all time favourites - a real hunk! Rest in Peace.

Hmmm. His politics were a little right for my liking. He was, after all, the president of the NRA, which is pretty much the lobby group that keeps guns in the hands of way too many people in the states.

But from an SF point of view, Planet of the Apes, Soylent Green and The Omega Man, a fine legacy.

One of my all-time favourites. He had a small but very impressive part in Branagh's 4 hour adaptation of Hamlet (1996) which proved that he was much more than just your bog-standard action man.

Very sad that he is no longer with us.

I dont care how much right or gun nut he appeared to be.

He was great in two of my favorits movies of alltime. Ben Hur and Planet of The Apes. The beach scene at with the ruined statue is very shocking when you saw it first and a classic one.

It is sad news but atleast he got a long life.

RIP he had some truly great performances and with his wife of 64 years by his side when he passed away it sounds like he lived a good life on and off the screen.

"Legend" is a word used too often in today's society, but never has an actor been more deserving of it's true meaning in my opinion.

Yes his views on the right to bear arms may not sit favourable with everyone but let us not forget he was a big supporter of the civil rights movement back in the day.

Hats of to you Chuck, you called it as you saw it and stuck to your guns. RIP

"Legend" is a word used too often in today's society, but never has an actor been more deserving of it's true meaning in my opinion.

Yes his views on the right to bear arms may not sit favourable with everyone but let us not forget he was a big supporter of the civil rights movement back in the day.

Hats of to you Chuck, you called it as you saw it and stuck to your guns. RIP

My wife pointed out that he had marched with Martin Luther King Jr. That was back in the day when it wasn't "Politically Correct" to treat everyone fairly. That make his politics allot more fair than people gave him credit for an his involvement in Science Fiction made him very forward thinking.

I just found this post, Ben hur, is one of my all time favorite, the acting is so intense that the emotions were almost palatable, only one other film has garnered the same amount of awards (Titanic), 11 Oscars. It holds a dear place in my heart, The director pushed Heston on that film, (did you know that Leslie Nelson, from Naked Gun fame, tried out for the part of Ben Hur) On DvD it has out takes... I had better stop now...because i could laud this film forever.
PS. Heston was an awe inspiring actor.

Torn.
I couldn't agree with you more.......... I love Ben Hur, have done from the very first time I saw it. There are some brilliant scenes in it with Chuck and Stephen Boyd's confrontations. When you first find out that his mother and sister are leapers, its just so moving.
The chariot race, for those who have seen it, no computer generated sets on this one, I think it took almost a year to built and many many months to film. I have watched alot of the outakes also Torn, it builds up a good story around the movie. It was deserving of all its awards and Chuck for his best actor win.
There are two lesser known movies of Chucks that were also very very good... The Warlord and Will Penny both made around 1965-1968. The Warlord was a favorite with him.
Please feel free to rave about Ben Hur Torn, its deserving of it!!!

From his cold dead hands indeed.

A "legend" he was not. But I am clearly outnumbered in that opinion.
I quite understand where your coming from.

But Heston, as an actor, had the power, to entrance an audience,he made the film seem real.
Screen Legend.
As a person i can't possibly comment, as I never met the man, I read that he believed in personal choice, freedom if you will. Thats all I know.

"From my cold dead hands" wow, i can even imagine him saying those words...if he said it to me i would shudder, His voice could command legions.

TK-428 I agree with Torn, looking at Heston from purely an actor's viewpoint, he had a presence in every movie he was in. He could make a character believable and he had a passion for his acting.
As a person he was also passionate, I am a strong believer in tighter guns laws, in fact I would be happy if there were no guns, but thats not a realistic viewpoint. Remember also that he was an advocate for civil rights.
But if we are talking about the actor only, then Heston is a LEGEND.

Well, Heston had presence but I do not put him as being of the same caliber of an actor as other real legends like Brando, Douglas, Olivier, McGuiness or O'Toole.