Marvellous March Manuscripts? So what are you reading this month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being one of the few people in the world who has not read a single Harry Potter book, I thought I'd read them before my daughter does. She is 7, and her reading skills are growing by leaps and bounds.

Therefore, The Philosopher's Stone is next for me.

Just started reading Certain Prey by John Sandford. The eagle-eyed amongst you will spot that this is not sci-fi. I've only read 10 pages and there's already been a rape and a separate (though related) murder. Could be a plot for the next series of Torchwood, I suppose.:rolleyes:

Just started reading Certain Prey by John Sandford. The eagle-eyed amongst you will spot that this is not sci-fi. I've only read 10 pages and there's already been a rape and a separate (though related) murder. Could be a plot for the next series of Torchwood, I suppose.:rolleyes:

Ah good to see that i have been feeling lonely as the only crime reader in chrons :p

Every thread about a crime author or series i have made has died off in 60 seconds ;)

Have you read the other books in the series ?

Its a famous series that have been recommended to me many times by fellow crime fans.

The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe. I love the little nod to Vernor Vinge in it, when the protagonist discovers a Vinge book mis-filed at the top of the library.

The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe. I love the little nod to Vernor Vinge in it, when the protagonist discovers a Vinge book mis-filed at the top of the library.
Yeh! Don't forget to check out my comments in the Gene Wolfe section about other books by this modern day master.

Well, after wrapping up three Alastair Reynolds books back-to-back (I loved them, by the way), I was looking for a quicker read.

So I picked up Asimov's robot novels. Zipped through "Caves of Steel" and "The Naked Sun", and now I'm ready to start "Robots of Dawn." Pretty entertaining stuff, all in all. The first two are products of the '50s, with all that entails for better and worse, and the third is from 1983. I'll be interested to see what's different, both stylistically and in terms of science.

Its a great book. The three sections are written in totally different styles but all work and link together. It kept me awake for hours after I had finished it trying to piece it all together.

Ah good to see that i have been feeling lonely as the only crime reader in chrons :p

Every thread about a crime author or series i have made has died off in 60 seconds ;)

Have you read the other books in the series ?

Its a famous series that have been recommended to me many times by fellow crime fans.

Actually, Connavar, it was recommended to me by my new partner. She is into crime novels and has all of this series and other John Sandford books as well. So, I don't generally read crime authors and this is the first Sandford I've read. I'll let you know what I think when I've finished.

Just finished reading this and the other two books in the set - Spiral & Loop. It's so different from the moves, which I watched first. But now I really love the books although the movie was pretty decent too.

Tell me how you go with Ring and if you are going to read the other two books.

I've read them before (after I finished watching the films), although I only skimmed through them at the time due to time constraints. I do remember them being completely different from the films, though, and I was completely surprised by the ending of Loop. I've got the other two, and now that I'm able to read through them more carefully, I'll be able to appreciate them better.:)

Just started Tanya Huff's Quarter novels. The 4 books are available as 2 omnibuses. I really liked Tanya's Blood Ties books (and the TV series), so I'm looking forward to see how she does with more traditional fantasy.

I loved The Hidden City (Michelle West). So much so I pulled out my old beat up copies of Hunter's Oath and Hunter's Death to start a long reread. I think it will be a while before the next book in this series.:D
I'm going to reread the series before The Hidden City.
I agree that it will likely be a while before the next one.
Have you read her Sundered books? Not as detailed as the Sunsword, but good nonetheless. I'm also a fan of her 'Cast in ....' novels.

This week, I do believe it's The Duchess of Malfi by John Webster for me.

That man has a lot to answer for....:p

Don't know if you've come cross this one before, Hoops, but whether or no, here's what Chares Lamb had to say of him:

To move a horror skilfully, to touch a soul to the quick, to lay upon fear as much as it can bear, to wean and weary a life till it is ready to drop, and then step in with mortal instruments to take its last forfeit, this only a Webster can do. Inferior geniuses may "upon horror's head horrors accumulate," but they cannot do this. They mistake quantity for quality; they "terrify babes with painted devils;" but they know not how a soul is to be moved. Their terrors want dignity, their affrightments are without decorum.

From his Specimens of English Dramatic Poets Who Lived About the Time of Shakespeare (1808).

He's cruder than either Shakespeare or Marlowe, but for sheer, unmitigated grim gruesomeness, he's very hard to beat.....

As for myself, I'm in the middle of Moorcock's The Dragon in the Sword at the moment....

Status
Not open for further replies.