Luke Cage - Netflix's Another Marvellous Series

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Marvels-Luke-Cage-Comic-Con-poster.jpg

This gritty, action-packed drama follows the evolution of Luke Cage (Mike Colter), a man with super strength and unbreakable skin caused by a sabotaged experiment. After a failed relationship with fellow superhero Jessica Jones, Cage tries to rebuild his life in Harlem, New York, but is pulled out of the shadows and forced to fight for the heart of his city. Along the way, Cage cannot avoid confronting his past, which he has worked hard to bury. "Marvel's Luke Cage" is the third show in the Netflix-original Defenders series.

Like it says in the headline, this is a marvellous series straight out from the black heart of America. I was unfortunate for not being able to read read The Defenders and find out what's behind the man called Luke Cage you last time saw keeping Rose bar.

The comic readers know that place, where DareDevil and Punisher frequent to meet the unfortunate Turk, who also can be found from sitting in the Pop's playing chess. In fact, he's been hiding the devil in Hell's Kitchen. But on his way down this series, he become the trigger that unleashed Mr Cage to charge down the streets like an unstoppable night train.

What's more is that everything you see in the small screen has more than one connection in the shared universe. And the story that unfolds has a deep black soul from the very beginning.

It only took me one and half episodes to get locked in. What is their secret for churning out these almost flawless gems?

Last edited:
It's sad that these TV threads cannot be found from the Google, because I'd love to read some fresh insights, in this series that brought a black hero out from depths of New York Harlem. To someone who's new to black heart of the metropolitan, I was loving every scene of it.

It looked old, and epic with slowly grumbling red brick buildings rolling at the background in the streets scenes, which showed surprisingly clean for the amout of life that's flew them daily basis. And it's not just black life as like London, New York's Harlem has ethnic roots that go back hundreds of years. I could as well say Harlem looked surprisingly diverse for its reputation.

Nevertheless, the cast will take you into the lives of ordinary American people, to witness raise of a black hero, who sometimes comes out quite boldly for being a superhero in the Marvel Universe. He ain't scared of showing his face to a camera, because there isn't anything bad left in his life. In fact, he's more often proves his innocence by his actions against people that are almost as powerful as Mr Fisk.

Unlike Hell's Kitchen's beast, Mister Cage ain't afraid of getting shot. Not even if it's coming out from barrels of five-o's. To be honest, I'm surprised by how boldly Netflix is showing police brutality. Especially, when it comes towards the black people, who's trying to do their best to survive in the urban scenes that often turn into full blown war-zones. So, I'm with Turk, when he claims "Hell's Kitchen seems safer," from seeing the evidence with a big grain on my face.

GW's Orcs would be proud for the amount of dakka in the first season. Then again it's not just that, because when Luke takes on the baddies, he's actually holding back the power he hiding in those massive fists. I'm afraid Tyson pales in his shadow, when this brooding superhero slaps his opponents, because, when he let's out, the receiving side is most probably seeing a lengthy, and painful hospital trip, for the amount of stupidity on challenging legendary Luke Cage.

I look forward seeing more of this black hero.

On my list to watch, can't wait!

I've watched Jessica Jones and loved the scenes with Luke in. That show had a gritty film noir feel to it. Excited to see where Netflix transports me now.

Well, it warms my heart to you loved it, when I was afraid the opposite. Luke Cage couldn't be bad series. Not after what happened with DD and JJ. To be bad, it would have to be dismissal. LOL

I just finished watching all of it last night. It was PHENOMENAL. I was a little irked by the ending, but I think that's the point. They do a great job of setting up for another season/The Defenders show. I feel like every series they do gets better and better. Now I am really excited for the Iron Fist next year. But really, it is a wonder. How do they pull this off? Did anyone else finish watching the series? I would love to discuss some points but don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

I liked the show, and Cage was awesome,but I don't think the villains worked as well as Fisk or Kilgrave. Maybe it's because the seemed more like real villains than supervillains. I guess I like my evil to be reallly really evil.

but I don't think the villains worked as well as Fisk or Kilgrave.

I think they worked pretty well against mostly invulnerable Mr Cage. To be honest, it was a bit of torment of watching him doing well against the gangsters. Someone could have said, "He was OP", but the fact is: In the level of villains, my honest opinion is that Diamondback was equal to the Kingpin, maybe even more powerful with his Hammertech suit. And all other gimmings.

With what he did was more than Kilgrave ever did as he held whole borough under his fist. Kilgrave turned at the end around sixty people at one go, while Diamondback terrorised the city. Fisk never wanted to hurt the city. And one time he might have commanded man like Diamonback or Shades, but at the moment, they were on their own, while they taxed whole Harlem.

The city at the end did nothing. They didn't try to control it in anyway and for a moment, it looked like an urban warfare zone, with civilians trying to live in the middle. Luke protected them. And put Diamondback's sorry ass back on the ground, with exploding whole neighbourhood. In fact, he showed remarkable restrain compared to how Iron Man or Thor would have handled that business.

In the end Luke didn't even call Jessica, even though he could have done so. He even said no to DD, even though he didn't know who Mr Murdoch really is. I hate to even think about the carnage the Punisher would have done to those boys, and their operations.

Diamondback was bad shot. Even worse tactician. But somehow he held his ground to the bitter end. I hope he understands to not come back for a Round Two. Luke's not going to hold back forever. :sneaky:

luke_cage_mahershala_ali.jpg

James sat down with Mahershala Ali, who plays Cornell “Cottonmouth” Stokes to talk about playing a villain, his inspirations for the character and what it’s like to take a job knowing you might not be back for Season 2...

Your version of Stokes is a crime boss, and on the surface he appears to have similarities to the Kingpin at least. Now the Kingpin wanted to legitimise himself and take control politically, so I wondered what you think the extent of Stokes' ambition is?

I think he's exploring. When he meets Cage I think he's stretching his wings a little and exploring his capacity as a person in a position of power. But I don't think he necessarily has a clear vision of what he wants to accomplish. In some ways that's shaped by his cousin, who begins to steer him into going completely legitimate. There quickly becomes a little bit of friction about how he should run his business and also what he should look to accomplish.

Obviously he does bad things by any objective moral standpoint, but do you think he sees himself as a bad person?
Marvel's Luke Cage: Mahershala Ali Cottonmouth interview

Now, without want to be too spoilery... when you sign up for a show like this you must know that Marvel's villains don't tend to make it out of things alive. So as a working actor, do you have any hesitation in taking a role thinking you might get just the one go around?

I think you have to look at where you are in your career, and what you want. I was all up for this one shot, I really was. If anything it gave me the chance to give it all I had. The villains often don't make it to season 2, that's just the reality of it, so you know, maybe I'll be back as something else and be on the good side. But no, it didn't make me hesitant. It actually gave me a lot of energy because I knew this was my one shot to make my contribution and have that one experience.

Coffee retakes it rightful position back from Netflix and Chill and I am so glad it does.

The show was phenomenal and the visuals were to die for. The soundtrack was lovely as well and characters resonated with me.

Reactions: ctg
When Marvel Television confirmed they were giving Luke Cage his own solo Netflix series, fans of Power Man rejoiced. The character made his live-action debut on the site through Jessica Jones, and audiences fall for Luke Cage’s charm. And, now, one media company is reporting that the hero’s standalone show is the biggest Marvel/Netflix hit of 2016.
Luke Cage Is The Biggest Marvel Netflix Series Of The Year

Luke Cage star Mike Colter has revealed roughly when fans can expect to see his show's second season.

"I'm about to start [filming] next month," Colter told MCU Exchange. "When the Defenders comes out on August 18, that’ll be something we can hold onto for a little while and we can enjoy that. And hopefully, we’ll get to see Luke Cage out early next year."
Luke Cage season 2: expect it "early next year"

sdkfje.jpg

Yes indeed, Simone Missick is finally rocking the character’s bionic arm after Misty faced off against Bakuto in The Defenders and came away one limb lighter.

Naturally, Marvel and Netflix aren’t saying how she gets this new high-tech prosthetic (Danny Rand seems like a more likely source than Tony Stark, given Marvel’s reluctance to cross the movie/Netflix streams), but it’s great to see that Misty will be back in action alongside Luke (Mike Colter). Missick’s performance was one of the highlights of Luke Cage‘s first season and she was a most welcome presence in The Defenders.

Season Two will also star the returning Alfre Woodard, Theo Rossi and Rosario Dawson, as well as newcomers Mustafa Shakir and Gabrielle Dennis.

Netflix also has Season Two of Jessica Jones in production, and we surely can’t be too far away from The Punisher

Luke Cage Season 2 first look at Misty Knight’s arm