Leaps of Faith

Duchessprozac

In a story I am currently, the main character finds out her mother was a witch and that she is supposed to take her place. The problem I have is that she seems too skeptical about what she is told and I'm having trouble finding ways to have her convinced that what's she's being told is true and the guy telling her isn't some nut.

Basically, what I would like to know is, would it be ok to have her make a leap of faith solely for the purpose of continuing the story?

Its a risk I think, to try and make a character do something which to the reader will seem completly out of charater. As this is a fairly major part of the tale (I am guessing) I think it might be a little risky. Is this a magic world where witches are common or one more like our world today (ie. no real witches)

It's set in the modern, only where the world is populated by a few thousand real magic users, most of which keep their abilities secret, and the world comes under threat by creatures from another dimension that exists in tandem with that of Earth.

Hi, Duchessprozac,

If the girl is supposed to take her mother's place, she must have some latent powers. You could put her in a situation in which she has a foreboding of her abilities, something unsual enough to make her doubt and consider the possibility.

Good luck,

Giovanna

hmm a few idea:
1) maybe craft a friend for your lead who is into the occult side - at least like the occult is in our world - probably a person who is taken to some extremes - she (sorry I really see this as a female role myself) could encourage the lead to follow the revealing character (the man) and go along with what she assumes is some occult game

2) a random encounter or experience with this other world - but try to make it accidental, not they are seeking a chosen one (its just a little weak)

3) some sort of largish demonstration of power or spell?