The Black Company -- Spoilers!!

Wolfbrother

Hey guys, just have a quick question about this series that is just great in my opinion.

I bought the first three books at a second hand store awhileeeee back, and just got around to finishing them. I noticed now though, that the first three "Books of the North" have recently been re-released in a bigger volume by Tor.

I want to continue on with the story in the "Books of the South" but noticed that they are so damned expensive. Over 30/40 USD for the first one. This is out of my range of what I would consider a fair price.

So my question is, does anyone know if there are any more plans to re-release any more of the Black Company sequels? Or just the first trilogy?

Thanx Guys,
Woflbrother

Sheesh... Glad I bought all of these as standard, inexpensive paperbacks! :)

A great series; really pleased I stayed with them through to the end.

Wow thanx a lot Max the Mediocre. I have the first 3, so no need to buy the expensive new edition. But the Books of the South will definitely be purchased at some point. No rush at all. :D

Did you guys like the Books of the South generally? Or no?

I liked it. The series declines in quality at some point, but it's been a while, and I don't recall exactly when. I think it's post-BotS, though.

Sheesh... Glad I bought all of these as standard, inexpensive paperbacks! :)

A great series; really pleased I stayed with them through to the end.

Not quite the end. Cook has at least one more Black Company novel on the back burner, just waiting on the completion/publication of other things. Since he seems to like trilogies, if it ever comes out I expect it will be a new trilogy going off in a new direction with the people who survived from the last book.

@Wolfbrother - I liked the Books of the South every bit as much as the first three, perhaps more. Also don't forget Silver Spike. Dark days lie ahead for the Company. I'm surprised you can't still get good-condition pbs of these books, Have you tried eBay or Abebooks?

I liked it. The series declines in quality at some point, but it's been a while, and I don't recall exactly when. I think it's post-BotS, though.

I don't agree that the bulk of Glittering Stone was a decline in quality in terms of writing or ideas. However, I do think some of the mythology was overdone. If the books had a failing, for me it was in 'Soldiers Live' with the rather mundane Voroshk. But perhaps that was more to do with the loss of so many old friends.

Snowdog, I actually have the Silver Spike in trade paperback, and I have found the second book of the South (forgot the name) online for just a few dollars, not bad at all.

But the first book of the South seems to be extremely expensive wherever I go. Give it a quick check, its quite unbelievable.

So good thing I have a lot to read in the mean time, I can just read other things until the release of all the Books of the South.

Not quite the end. Cook has at least one more Black Company novel on the back burner, just waiting on the completion/publication of other things. Since he seems to like trilogies, if it ever comes out I expect it will be a new trilogy going off in a new direction with the people who survived from the last book.

Really? Given how Soldiers Live ended, that surprises me, since the author seemed to tie up just about all the loose ends in what was clearly intended to be his final word on the subject of 'The Black Company'.

I do hope that if a new book (or series) does appear, it represents new inspiration as opposed to the lure of the cheque book.

By the way, I don't agree with those who think the quality of the books declined. I didn't necessarily enjoy what happened to many of the characters along the way, but felt the series remained entertaining and intriguing to the end.

I read an interview where Cook mentions this new book, plus another Garrett book (also excellent news). I think he even gave a title for the Black Company book, but I could be mistaken about that. I'll try to find the link.

His next book out will probably be number 3 in the Instrumentalities of the Night series. I assume so anyway.

Link to interview - http://www.sfsite.com/10a/gc209.htm

Snowdog, I actually have the Silver Spike in trade paperback, and I have found the second book of the South (forgot the name) online for just a few dollars, not bad at all.

But the first book of the South seems to be extremely expensive wherever I go. Give it a quick check, its quite unbelievable.

So good thing I have a lot to read in the mean time, I can just read other things until the release of all the Books of the South.

You're right. I don't know why this particular book is so expensive. I usually read Silver Spike before Shadow Games, although you could certainly switch those two since they cover the same time frame and some of the events occur in both books but from different perspectives. It's really a matter of taste. But it's definitely better to read both before reading Dreams of Steel.

The Books of the South, comprising Shadow Games, Dreams of Steel and Silver Spike, is due June 2008.

So to confirm, there are six books in total? I won the Books of the North anthology online, but I don't really know anything about the series:eek:

More than that Rane. I've read them and like them quite a lot. If I have time later I'll post some more info on them.

Cheers....

So to confirm, there are six books in total? I won the Books of the North anthology online, but I don't really know anything about the series:eek:

I have just one link for you Glen Cook , look at the Black Company listings - there are 3 mini-series Black Company, Black Company : Book of the South and Black Company : Glittering Stone.

I adore the Black Company. If he does have another on the burner as you say, it might be a prequel. What would the Company be without Croaker? (I'm still mad about Sleepy btw).

I have just one link for you Glen Cook , look at the Black Company listings - there are 3 mini-series Black Company, Black Company : Book of the South and Black Company : Glittering Stone.
True but the main series itself consists of the seperate books:

The Black Company - May 1984
Shadows Linger October 1984
The White Rose - April 1985
Shadow Games - June 1989
Dreams of Steel - April 1990
Bleak Seasons - April 1996
She Is The Darkness - September 1997
Water Sleeps - March 1999
Soldiers Live - July 2000

Extra:

Silver Spike - September 1989