Fahrenheit 451 Challenge

iansales

Last night I watched Francois Truffaut's film of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. At the end, rebel fireman Montag joins the Book People, each of whom has memorised a book so that while they live it can never be lost or destroyed by the authorities...

If you joined the Book People and, given a choice of any book, fiction or non-fiction... which one would you choose to memorise so it would never be lost?

Ooh thats a very very good question!

Its very hard for me i have a couple of books i love much more than other favs.

For me it would be The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Its a book i dont wanna forget and meant alot to me the first time i read the collection of the short novels.

Other books that came close to HHGTG is Foundation,Legend,Count of Monto Cristo,Wolf in Shadow.

Which one would you choose?

It's a tough choice. Choosing one book would mean giving up all the rest and that might mean they'd be lost forever if no one else chose them.

It would be The Tale Of The Fourth Wise Man by Henry van Dyke.

The other choices would be Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol, Ray Bradbury's Fog Horn, Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre or Beauty & The Beast the original faery tale.

Something by Lawrence Durrell, I expect. If not the entire Alexandria Quartet, then Tunc or Nunquam. I can't think of any genre works I would want to memorise - Dune, for example, would no doubt be chosen by plenty of other people :)

Homer's The Odyssey. I cannot imagine a world without it.

Have you read all of it? Impressing!

I tried to read it once when i was younger and it was so hard with the prose form and the translation was swedish that was 100 years old and that made it almost impossible to read. That swedish isnt even near todays version.

But it was interesting with the hole Gods thing that was all over the story.

I'd have to memorise a short story or else I'd never manage it (my memory's terrible)!

Perhaps "The Hoard of the Gibbelins" by Lord Dunsany...

probably I am legend.

or The Stand, if i wanted to go with the "my books bigger than yours" theme :)

I'd go for Finnegans Wake.:p

Ooookaaayyy... Now, that's an interesting choice. May I suggest investing in some headache powders first?;) (Not that it's not a worthwhile book -- though I think I'd prefer Ulysses myself -- but memorizing it would be ... quite a task, shall we say.....)

Hmmm. I'm going to have to give this one some serious thought. The ones that come to mind right off are things that I would imagine plenty of people would memorize to begin with -- namely things by Lovecraft, Poe, Tolkien, Shelley, Howard, etc. So this is going to take considerable thinking......

I'm tempted to say something short :p

If it's SF I'll take The City And The Stars by Arthur C. Clarke. For a non-SF book it would be Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach.

It's starting to look like there are going to be lots of lost classics of literature :)

I've been thinking about that. If such a thing did happen should priority be given to a certain kind of book ... say the Literary Classics or the Science Fiction & Fantasy Masterworks?

Or should people choose freely what they wish to remember? How about religious texts? The old epics much of which were in verse?

And then there's all the wealth of comics and graphic novels not to mention books for children.