Hero

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
Directed by Zhang Yimou
Starring Jet Li

I recently received my region 1 copy of this movie from across the pond and, with baited breath, placed it in my player.

First, let me set out my stall: apart from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, I know virtually nothing about this genre of film. That which I have learned is directly attributable to people on this website (and for that I thank you). This is a virgin review from an eye untainted by prior knowledge,

So what do we have? The tale of a nameless warrior who must face the best of all assassins in order to achieve his goal of revenge for the massacre of his people.

The shadows of racing clouds over mountainous terrain – the army on horseback riding with banners blowing – the vibrancy of colour and its segmentation within the convolutions of the tale – the use of many flowing robes, winds and its very own special version of ‘bullet time’ techniques makes one thing very clear: the quality of cinematography is second to none. Almost a blend of poetry, philosophy, and moving canvas. Add to the mixture esoteric martial arts that become less of a battle and more of a ballet, a soundtrack both evocative and hypnotic, the story of love, honour, heroism, the struggle against overwhelming odds and you have a crucible aflame with adventure.

There are many levels to this movie and it is, in essence, an anti-war film. It shows how, sometimes, choices that go against our natural grain must be made for the greater good. It shows us that, ultimately, violence is not the answer. And yet, what a way to show it!

Sometimes you stumble across a movie that you know you will go back to time and again. This is one of those movies. I’m stunned. I'm converted and can't wait for the next movie in this genre. What more can I say?

That's a very nice review, and I agree with it completely.:)

I want to use the word "lush" for it's great cinematography.

Foxbat said:
Sometimes you stumble across a movie that you know you will go back to time and again. This is one of those movies. I’m stunned. I'm converted and can't wait for the next movie in this genre. What more can I say?
This week I have developed a sudden thirst for oriental cinema - Hero, Appleseed, Warriors of Heaven and EArth, House of Flying Daggers, Spring Summer Fall Winter...Spring - all on my buying list for ASAP after Christmas. :)

please don't attack me, but I disagree.

Being an avid fan of this genre, and a stone cold Jet Li and Donnie Yen fan, I was greatly disappointed.

The sheer cailibur of martial arts skills would be enough to carry this film with better a direction and story line. I was disappointed in this Quentin T. movie.

The movie jumps around to much, it's not stable. Please note: I saw this film about two years before it came out in the american theaters, and did not wish to see the remake.

The cinematography falls nothing short of the other martial art films based in that time period. Frankly, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had more impressive cinematography. Then again, I wasn entirely impressed with that story line either.

This was simply my opinion. I may be used to a less artsy martial arts film.

Please be aware that this is not a Tarantino film. He neither directed nor took any part in the writing of the screenplay. He generously lent his name in the form of ‘Quentin Tarantino Presents’ in order to boost this movie’s market appeal in the West.

On the subject of Martial Arts – I see this as a film that happens to have Martial Arts in it rather than a Martial Arts movie. It accentuates both the artistry and esoteric values of the discipline – comparing it with artistry such as Calligraphy and Music. It uses colours to define watersheds within the storyline and shows how subtle differences in the plot move ever farther apart as time progresses. It is more a story of heroism, honour and self-sacrifice, and the almost dance-like choreography of the fight scenes only serve to enhance this state. This film is, in essence, a fairytale.

It’s all about opinion and it will not be everybody’s cup of tea but, for me, it is one of the finest films of the year. :)

Nothing wrong with disagreeing - heck, people do that to me all the time. :D

I'll still be looking out for this film, though I'm pre-warned that it may lose something towards the end.

I really enjoyed this movie mainly because of the artistry with which they presented martial arts. Jet Li is truly a master of fighting, and extremely fast ... in fact before his acting days he won many tournaments in Kung Fu. I got the DVD for Christmas and enjoyed watching it last night, along with some of the extras. Be sure to watch the interview segment between Tarantino & Jet Li, it's pretty cool.

hmmm, I think there's more merit being added to this movie than it deserves. Ok, I was not aware of QT not being the brains behind the movie, this is good to know, because I love QT movies.

But the storyline itself is jumbled and jumps from one scene to another without fully explaining anything. the characters aren't appealling or even noteworthy.
I think there was too much "so called" art inspired emphases on this movie and somehow, an interesting sceenplay was lost.

but see for yourself. this is just my opinion.