Is Shakespeare Irrelevant...

I just had to post to say how much I'm enjoying the discussion on this topic between JD and Tielhard. Where do stand on this? Well, for once I find myself in disagreement with JD (always dangerous ground!)

However, the fact that Shakespeare has continued to be considered to be relevant after four centuries;(1).....

....... put into a form both eloquent and succinct, expressed in language that remains among the most exquisite recorded...(2)..

1. Considered by who? I'm in no way in favour of the 'dumbing down' of any degree course but surely the whole point of dropping Shakespeare from the English Lit degree is that most people, rightly or wrongly, consider him to be increasingly irrelevant to today or at least that there are more 'relevant' contemporary works that can be studied.

2. Unfortunately, any eloquence that he may have had at the time of writing is now obscured because the English language has evolved and no-one speaks like that anymore. And succinct? I've never heard anyone describe him as succinct....

My thoughts on Shakespeare are darkly bias, I see little difference between it and so called modern ‘art’. Both take a degree over self-opinionated clap-trap and snobbery and in pulling words out of one’s rear end to actually understand how both a picture of the Mona Lisa made from dry elephant dung and how one stanza of very poorly written old English have any secret depths or intrinsic value!

Agreed. And I think almost anything suffers from being over-analysed.

Apologies to anyone struggling to make sense of my last post. Unfortunately, I seem to be too late to edit it. It's one I completed in a hurry just before I left work yesterday and it seems my technical abilities failed me. Basically, the last two paragraphs in the quote attributed to JD are obviously mine, in response to his earlier post. Sorry, JD.

Okay, let's give this a try again (I had one lengthy post ready, and the darned thing got et!).

First, some general statements: A.) On the subject of overanalyzing... while I'd say that Shakespeare can take any amount of analysis, I do think that forcing too much analysis of any topic on a single individual is a very bad thing. Things that should be enjoyable, that should be joyous to read, end up being one's bête noire -- something that should be a crime, in my book. That being said, if one is studying English (especially English literature), then studying those who have been the greatest influences on that literature would seem an essential. This is something I'll try to get into later.

B.) Aside from Romeo and Juliet (a bowdlerized version, I might add) I never studied Shakespeare in school. (Then again, I never went to university, either. My then-wife did, and yes, she studied Shakespeare, though as an elective, as she was majoring in RTF.) So my own feelings about Shakespeare's work come from reading it on my own hook, out of curiosity and pleasure.

C.) No, my daughter is not on the stage. As far as I know, none of my relatives are into the thespic arts (although a surprising number have gone into either the nursing profession or the ministry....)

Now I'll try to address some specific points:

[1] What you seem to be groping towards here but have not stated is that it is easier to get students to study analysis using a text which is inherently interesting. This may well be true, if it is then clearly we would be better teaching our students using the Beano as it is far more interesting than Shakespeare and if it does get boring then it at least has pictures that tell you something about the text such that no one comes away from the text with nothing. I am not however convinced that by using an 'interesting' text as the focus of thier study students are being correctly encouraged to apply analysis. Surely being able to analyse the content of a mobile phone contract is a better life skill than being able to disccourse upon something interesting like the relative merrits of the Culture and contemporary American society or even something really boring like how having Hofman, a real Jew, playing Shylock impacts the dynamic of Ther Merchant of Venice.

In a sense, yes, it is about an inherently "interesting" text. But it goes beyond simply "interesting" in the usual sense, into a text that can, as I've mentioned before, support varying readings; something that can be revisited numerous times and seen from different angles, and each time reveal a new way of looking at the text. This is something Shakespeare's work has proven up to, and will continue to do, as it has a more complex structure, a richer, more versatile use of language (including anaphora, litotes, hyperbole, chiasmus -- which last gives that feeling of cyclicity to certain of his writings, alliteration, assonance, onomatopoeia, etc.), all of which can affect the impression one receives from the piece or passage. This, in turn, allows one to revisit the text and take away new, different insights into life (experience, culture, mythology, legendry, history, emotion, etc.) with each reading; and not necessarily on the level of conscious analysis, but by dint of its subtle flavorings and how it resonates with the reader's own experiences and emotions -- whether it be overall, or their mental/emotional state at that specific point.

While the other examples you give can indeed bear some such variant readings, the fact that they are less complex allows for less such; this is what I mean by "richness" -- that ability to bear up under such scrutiny and repeated wear and tear due to the complexity and insight into the human condition within a text. The other examples you include do have their levels of interpretability, yes. Beano, for example, can be seen as a cultural artifact that tells a great deal about the assumptions of the time of its production, just as Shakespeare can. But it lacks the depth, complexity, and layers of symbolic meaning (and experience) encapsulated within Shakespeare.

Which, by the way, addresses something said by B.D. -- Shakespeare is succinct in that he can sum up, in a phrase or a relatively brief passage, a great deal of insight into these things, doing so in such a way that "more is said than is said", if you will. The noted soliloquy "To be or not to be...", for instance, encapsulates in a very brief space an enormous amount of insight into the "existential crisis", as it is sometimes called, and does so in such a way that it strikes on both the intellectual and emotional levels. Lady Macbeth's plaint about the blood on her hands speaks volumes for the emotional turmoil involved in betrayal, ambition, guilt, remorse, fear... even touching on the Biblical idea of Abel's blood speaking from the ground, as the blood here becomes the agent of retribution. This is handled in just a very few lines, yet the profundity of what it has to say has taken volumes of analysis. That is what I mean by succinct.

[2] My argument is not a reduction to the absurd argument as either a mathematician or a logician would understand the concept. I suggest therefore that you are using exageration for dramatic effect, deploying rhetoric to convince the audience?

No, I'd say it does apply as an argument to the absurd, for the reasons given above. It is the difference, again between candy floss and a steak -- both have their place, both can be pleasant, and both have some nutritional value; but one is wispy and insubstantial, while the other is substantive and requires mastication. It is on the level of Warhol's idea of cultural artifacts such as soup cans (or their representation) being as full of information as, say, Fuseli's "The Nightmare" -- yes, the one does tell us something about its time, but the other tells us not only about its time, but about a lasting part of being human; it symbolizes something familiar to the majority of people, and resonates on varying levels throughout the years. It is the idea of "the contemporary" being praised above "classic" taken to an absurd level -- again, there is a place for both, but one simply doesn't have the weight or heft of the other.

[3] I assume that a Harlequin romance is like the fine cod purveyed by Messers. Mills and Boon rather than the quest of the clown in motley for his Columbine? In any case your assertion is correct, your assertion to the nature of my argument as in [2] above wrong.

While I've not even seen any of the Mills and Boon pieces (though I've had them described to me often enough), and only when rather young dipped into the Harlequin romances out of curiosity... I'd say the analogy is fairly apt; though the Harlequins I dipped into certainly lacked the explicit nature I understand is part of the modern Mills and Boon. From what I understand, though, they've ended up somewhere between the two states now -- not as explicit (as that would alienate long-time readers), but much more so than they were then.

[4] At this point we come to the crux of your argument. That 'richness' of text is an important factor in how well that text can be used to sharpen minds. This may or may not be so. Unfortunately, you have neither defined what 'richness' is nor demostrated that it is to be found in the works of Shakespeare. Thus I cannot comment on this your central thesis.

See the explication above.

[5] No one is endowing Shakespeare with 'pretensions'". I take as MY text the ancient art English Pantomime. "OH! YES THEY ARE!". I content that Shakespeare is pretentious for the following reasons; some of it is propaganada in support of crowns long fallen, it is of inconsistent morality, it is laughable when it should be serious, pathetic when it should be funny, human motivations are often unreal, it is racist, sexist and sectarian, I grow weary &c. &c. &c.. You on the other hand ask the audience to accept your assurances that Shakespeare is without pretensions simply on your say so! Not good enough!

Perhaps we're using the term differently here? I am referring to the aesthetic component of Shakespeare, his insight into human emotional complexity and experience, his use (and expansion of the use of) the language, etc. I don't think anyone would argue that a fair amount wasn't propagandist, nor that, by today's standards, there's quite a bit of sexism, racism, and sectarianism. But this is true of anything from any time, including our own. Place the contemporary writings in a different cultural context, and they will be open to the same accusations (or something similar). That's simply the result of the author being a product of their own time; the verdigris that clings to any writer's work after a certain time or in a different place. What is great about any writer transcends that, overcomes it -- and Shakespeare repeatedly has done so, perhaps more than any writer of his time, to appeal to numerous classes of people (unlike Marlowe who, despite my often preference for his work over some of Shakespeare's, was a bit too "high-toned" overall to appeal to as broad a spectrum). In other words, I am arguing that no one is claiming greatness for Shakespeare (as a playwright and master of the language) that is not deserved; if there are those claiming Will was perfect... they've got rocks in their heads. The man had more anachronisms, for one thing, per play, than darned near anyone I can think of. But what he did with the substance of his work can overcome a dozen such flaws -- and has done, repeatedly.

[6] If you think the stuff is 'rich' show us why. We are not Orwell's sheep, you have to show us not only that the text is 'rich' but the 'richness' has some value. Do not expect us to say "baaaaa baaaa it is rich because j. d. Worthington says it is so"

This seems almost (albeit not quite) a restatement of point 4. Again, the explanation (at least in part) of what I mean by richness can be seen above.

[7] If you think the Beano is pretentious you have to demostrate it to your audience. Ditto Noddy. Ditto Potter (although in this case I would personally yeild to your position out of personal distaste for the text).

Again, I wasn't claiming pretentions for any of these; simply for putting them on the same level as Shakespeare (or Chaucer, or Marlowe, or [either] Shelley, or Keats, or...). They may be worthy enough in their own way, but they simply do not have the complexity and richness of texture, multiplicity of meanings, layers of interpretation, or subtlety of understanding within their text that Shakespeare & Co. have.

[1] This is not a valid argument. One can read Prokofiev but fewer than one in a thousand can appreciate it fully this way. I was meant to be played not read. Once can read Shakespeare but in doing so so much is lost, he intended his plays to be performed not read.

Actually, it is a valid argument. Shakespeare intended them primarily to be performed, but he also knew that such things were read as well, by individuals. He knew that the actors would have to read them, the publishers, and perhaps some of the nobility as well. He knew they had to pass muster with those who would not attend the play as well as those who would, especially given the often turbulent political times he lived in, where one had to practice care when addressing political subjects if one wished to keep one's head -- or at least avoid exile.

[2] This point in a nutshell

As for this... you've taken my comment out of context, which -- as anyone analysing texts knows -- can considerably alter its meaning. This is why cover blurbs or critics' comments on movie posters are to be taken with a large amount of salt. "Wonderful..." says So-and-So, of the Australian Daily News... when what was actually said was "A wonderful example of the purest crap ever put on paper...."

[3] No he did not. He wrote what SOME people think were the most amazing pieces in the nglish language. Good God some people think Buffy scripts are the greatest works in the English language, some the Bible. You would not want to stop these people having an opinion but yopu would not want to encourage them in thier delusions. So too with the Shakespeare buff (see just like the bard I can do really bad puns, just like the bard they are quite,quite rubbish).

There is (again) a huge difference here. On the one hand, we're going on the opinion of the widest (and deepest) read people for several centuries; on the other, we're going for those whose main contact with writing is often through the popular media of television and film -- and not often the best those have to offer. (Don't misunderstand me; I happen to enjoy Buffy myself -- especially the first two seasons, which maintained a surprisingly high quality overall. But because I like something does not mean I put it on the same plane as something of higher value. I am a big fan of the pulps, I have an extreme fondness for Doc Savage, for instance... but these are in no way -- save for some individual stories in the general pulps now and again -- on the same level as Shakespeare or Dostoevsky.) And there is nothing wrong whatsoever with puns. That is a bit of snobbishness that has long been discarded. There are, of course, different levels of punning, and that which is more complex, and enriches the subtleties of meaning within a passage -- allowing for varying readings -- are better than a simple double-entendre; but either one displays the inherent elusiveness (and allusiveness) of language, its playfulness and subtleties and shades of meaning. Or, as Browning put it: "Fancies that broke through language and escaped...." Shakespeare has overcome periods of eclipse (such as the Restoration) and proven time and again to appeal to both the most widely-read and intelligent, as well as those who simply enjoy a good, rousing performance. I'd say that argues more in favor of my assessment than otherwise.

[4] This suggests we might study English Lit for some reason other than to learn analysis, I for one can see no other reason. One does not need to be trained to read for enjoyment.

There are many reasons to study English literature: to acquire a greater understanding of the culture and its traditions, including the origins of many of our own views; to see how the great minds of the past worked with the stuff of life and their times creatively, and how so much of it remains relevant to the human condition today (not necessarily in incidentals or specifics, but in deeper and broader terms); to enjoy good stories, plays, poems; to experience a "connection" with those of the past, witness the continuities that bind us to what has gone before, as well as to allow us to see how things change in both the popular and the more rarefied strata of society; to learn from those who went before how to develop or not develop (depending on how successfully or unsuccessfully they achieved their effects) any theme we wish to address.... And so on. Not to mention that it simply encourages an appreciation of the experience of life on many, many more levels; the more one can appreciate the subtleties of these things, the more deeply one can appreciate the subtleties of day-to-day existence, and the more types of experience one can enjoy on more levels. All of these things can be greatly enhanced by a study of the literature of the past (as well as the best of the present). Anything that broadens the view and opens one more to an understanding and appreciation of the world is a benefit, both to the individual and (potentially) to the society, as it also tends to enhance one's ability to think in broader terms, see more solutions to problems, feel a connection to others, see the necessity of aiding others, generally boosting true beneficence in one's conduct toward others (I'm not meaning charity here, which often has a feeling of the donator being superior to the recipient, but genuine kindness and empathy toward one's fellow beings, etc., etc., etc. All of these are things that can be enhanced (and quite usually are) by a greater appreciation of the arts and humanities, among which English literature can assuredly be counted.

Last edited:
One extra point, Tielhard:

3) Like Estragon and Vladimir I await the j.d. worthington full response with eager anticipation but hopefully not for quite as long as they do?

I will plead guilty to sometimes getting distracted and forgetting things -- especially these days, when it seems as if a crisis intervenes every few days to throw my life out of kilter again -- but I don't recall what the connection is here. Care to send me links to these, so I can see what the specific reference is and (I hope) correct the situation?

A few minutes ago, I read the last lines of Shakespeare's Henry VIII. That completes my goal of reading all of the Shakespeare plays.* What do I feel, aside from some satisfaction about meeting a goal of many years' standing?

I feel eager to get in there and do some rereading! That's what I feel!

*I'm not counting The Two Noble Kinsmen, absent from both of my Complete Shakespeares, that of G. B. Harrison and that of Orgel and Braunmuller.

Last edited:
I recall JK Rowling was called the new Shakespeare--that was the moment I sensed that Harry Potter was a corporate-approved culture being peddled globally.
The advertising campaign for Transformers 3 said "It's not Shakespeare" as a way of answering critics who complained about the poor storytelling in the films--I don't think it was a good campaign since Shakespeare would have been populist for his time and so many films, even a low budget creature feature of the 1950s, have had some literary traces back to Shakespeare in their characterization and plots.

Lovecraft talked about the trend to "repudiate the past" and there are a number of voices who (consciously or not) champion such an idea in recent times.
One time I encountered a fiction writing instructor who said he dismissed fiction written before 1950 as irrelevant.

One time I encountered a fiction writing instructor who said he dismissed fiction written before 1950 as irrelevant.

That's deplorable, but not terribly surprising. He probably spoke from that culture of literary writing coming out of university-sponsored writing workshops and so on, which produce work that, I suppose, is primarily read by people with similar backgrounds. It might even be good a lot of the time, but it's a province in the world of fiction, & he was being provincial in the bad sense, if you ask me.

If you're writing fiction then, yes, writers need to focus on what is being published now - and these days for publishers, editors, and agents, that means reading work from this side of the 21st century (their words, not mine). I see too many people coming to chrons wanting to be writers, but wanting only to write like the books they read decades ago - not the books that people read now.

That's not to say that people who might aspire to writing should ignore anything published earlier - arguably they should have already been reading classics before focusing on a genre to write in - then consuming recent books in that genre.

I recall him saying something about commercial writing and trends but as we delved into the subject I got the impression he just felt that anything written before the 1950s was quaint, nothing to benefit personal growth as a person or writer. I met him online, not in a classroom so I didn't know much about his background. He came across as articulate and sensible, but on that one subject it was strange to see him advising there was no value in looking at the past.

Shakespeare is the cornerstone of the English language. But (as has already been mentioned) it can only be fully understood when watched as a play, just as the same as trying to understand Mozart's work based on sheets of music or a cake by studying a list of instructions in a cook book. Also to fully appreciate his work, it helps to have an understanding of what is being said and in what context, although (again) when watched as a play the audience can understand the sentiment, if not necessarily the writer's intention.

Having studied and watched (on more than one occasion) some of Shakespeare's plays, I would still not claim to have an understanding of all that is being said, but with (some) understanding of what I am watching I can elicit much more enjoyment. Far more so than having to read Macbeth in class at school. I do wonder if Shakespeare's audiences fully understood the meaning of his works or if most of it went over their heads too!

In some respects a modern audience has the advantage as quite a number of sayings and idioms that we are accustomed to were used for the first time by Shakespeare. But imagine hearing for the very first time such phrases as

Neither a borrower nor a lender be
To thine ownself be true
To the manner born
Murder most foul
Brevity is the soul of wit
What a piece of work is man
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil
The lady doth protest too much
Hoist with his own petard
I must be cruel, only to be kind
What dreams may come
Oh woe is me
Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice
My hour is almost come

Imagine if all of those phrases were removed from the English language (as well as the many, many more in others of his plays. How much poorer would the English language be?

And these from only one play (Hamlet). It's also interesting to note just how funny Shakespeare is; but again this his often hard to discern from reading a script. It is the way things are said, the physical movements of the actor , or sometimes just a look in his/her eye. I saw a production where Hamlet came down off the stage, picked an audience member at random and commenced his 'What a piece of work is man' speech - was very funny to see, but entirely lost on the reader of the written word.

Last edited:
I am guessing that many people use phrases coined by Shakespeare all the time without even knowing it. They know some of the famous lines from the great speeches, but have no idea to what extent Shakespeare's idioms have entered the language.

And I agree with those who have said that Shakespeare's plays are more comprehensible when one sees them acted out than when read to oneself, or when listening to one's fellow students stumbling through when obliged to take turns reading aloud in a classroom setting (which is something I remember having to endure when we were studying MacBeth). The actors (ideally) understand the metaphors and period language and so have many ways of conveying the meaning which are far more effective (and interesting) than a footnote of explanation on a page.

Also in a classroom, even when there is a filmed performance to accompany the reading, there is not time to see the whole play performed at a sitting, and coming back to see the rest on another day the momentum of the play as it was meant to be experienced is lost.

I am guessing that many people use phrases coined by Shakespeare all the time without even knowing it. They know some of the famous lines from the great speeches, but have no idea to what extent Shakespeare's idioms have entered the language.

And I agree with those who have said that Shakespeare's plays are more comprehensible when one sees them acted out than when read to oneself, or when listening to one's fellow students stumbling through when obliged to take turns reading aloud in a classroom setting (which is something I remember having to endure when we were studying MacBeth). The actors (ideally) understand the metaphors and period language and so have many ways of conveying the meaning which are far more effective (and interesting) than a footnote of explanation on a page.

Also in a classroom, even when there is a filmed performance to accompany the reading, there is not time to see the whole play performed at a sitting, and coming back to see the rest on another day the momentum of the play as it was meant to be experienced is lost.

I agree; and the danger is that a poor introduction to the Bard will see some students put off him for life. Which is why I would prefer an introduction to Shakespeare at school to be about why he is an important cornerstone of the English language rather than sitting through (what initially appears to be) pages of text which may as well be written in a foreign language.

There was a tv series of filmed Shakespeare plays in the 1970s. Many familiar faces from movies and tv. Been meaning to check it out again. I read Othello recently and used one of those "Shakespeare made easy" sites that translate the writing into a more modern style. It may be easier to understand but not so quotable!
It's good to have a reasonable knowledge of Greco-Roman mythology when reading Shakespeare to avoid the need to constantly check the meaning of words.
Another thing that is very interesting is how little Bible reference is in Shakespeare. I notice efforts to link his writing to it but the claims of inspiration seem to be sketchy at best in many cases.

There was a tv series of filmed Shakespeare plays in the 1970s. Many familiar faces from movies and tv. Been meaning to check it out again. I read Othello recently and used one of those "Shakespeare made easy" sites that translate the writing into a more modern style. It may be easier to understand but not so quotable!
It's good to have a reasonable knowledge of Greco-Roman mythology when reading Shakespeare to avoid the need to constantly check the meaning of words.
Another thing that is very interesting is how little Bible reference is in Shakespeare. I notice efforts to link his writing to it but the claims of inspiration seem to be sketchy at best in many cases.

Considering the religious upheavals of the time, keeping religion out of his plays was probably for the best.

Generations of readers found that Shakespeare can be read with understanding and enjoyment, without the reader having seen performances. Probably the majority of people who have loved Shakespeare never saw more than one or a few, or likely enough none, of his plays performed. It would be a mistake to forget about their experience.

That's a distinct point in itself, but one that a moment's reflection will suffice to support.

That experience might be harder for people today because we are so accustomed, on the one hand, to living in a stream of flowing images*, and, on the other, suffer from a perhaps temporary cultural assumption that certain "voices" are more "authentic" than a voice that is rich in vocabulary, allusion to history, sacred text, poetry and drama, etc.

That too should be obvious enough after a moment's reflection.

That's also one reason we need Shakespeare. He can help us to see that we are (from an historical point of view) oddballs in our cultural antipathy towards the sound of learned speech, our readiness to assume "authenticity" when the speaker sounds like someone off the street.

Another point about Shakespeare is that he wrote for the stage of his day and readers need to visualize it. Performances were done during the day, so the poetry had to evoke night and its associations in the audience's imagination. Stage props were minimal: again, the poetry had to evoke the forest or the royal court. The audience mostly stood and watched and listened to the actors who were on a projecting stage. Lines had to be declaimed; if a character was understood to be whispering, the poetry had to convey that. The audience could not see subtleties of expression on actors' faces. There were no cinematic closeups such as we are accustomed to and expect. The poetry had to convey inflections of character.

Shakespeare sometimes wrote "flowery" speeches for certain characters, but when irritable students deplore what they call his flowery writing, they are probably forgetting facts such as those just mentioned.

And films of the plays inadvertently support his notion that Shakespeare was a "flowery" writer, because, of course, the cameras peer closely into the faces of actors. Sets may be eye candy and thus a speech (even if abridged) that was written by Shakespeare to evoke details and emotional impressions in the audience of his day will seem redundant -- why, after all, describe a scene that the moviemakers have provided for the audience of the movie or the televised version?

When I taught Shakespeare, we did not watch movies or TV versions.

With one exception.

We did watch Akira Kurosawa's very free adaptation of Macbeth, the samurai-era film Throne of Blood. This is wholly successful because it is a reimagining of Shakespeare's story as a movie.

There might be some good movies that stick pretty close to Shakespeare, but I suppose they make enormous cuts in the text and are, really, new imaginative creations and, so, are not, perhaps, very good for anything, as regards Shakespeare, except getting the story figured out. For that, I would have the students read the appropriate selection in Marchette Chute's Stories from Shakespeare.

S. L. Bethell's short book Shakespeare and the Popular Dramatic Tradition really influenced me. It was introduced by T. S. Eliot, btw.

I'd also have the students watch, when they were going to read a play, for how some type of imagery helped the play to hold together. I got that clue from the back of Caroline Spurgeon's book Shakespeare's Imagery. Tell someone to enjoy the poetry of Shakespeare and he or she may feel a sinking sensation, but ask someone to watch for imagery of light -- sun, lightning, bright things, etc. -- and it's more like a seeking game. It works.

So my recommendation for anyone who proposes to read a lot of Shakespeare, at home or for school, is: have a good edition with notes for the unfamiliar words (or words whose meanings have changed). I personally use my G. B. Harrison that I bought in 1974. Get Chute. Check out Bethell and Spurgeon or get used copies. Have a notion of the Elizabethan understanding of the cosmos; I gave my students a photocopy of C. S. Lewis's The Discarded Image, pp. 92-121 (or something like that). And -- read at least some of the play aloud.

Last edited:
to an English degree, for instance....?

toledoblade.com -- The Bard is not to be

Title: "The Bard is not to be", originally published Wed., Apr. 25, 2007.

Having grown up in Toledo with a subscription to the Blade 1) I cant believe you found this and 2) I am ashamed of this “reporting.” This was the beginning of the end for the blade. It went downhill and got bought out by one of those regional partisan conglomerates. Our entire family has canceled their subscription.