What Asimov book.....

Now you should try to read all of Asimov's sf short stories (or even better, all his short stories). Good luck ...

By the way, I count 25 Asimov sf novels, not including the three Robert Silverberg novels.

I get 25, too. 7 Foundation (if counting the original Foundation trilogy as three novels), 6 Lucky Starr, 3.5 (or 4) Robots, 3.5 (or 3) Empire, 3 independents (depending on how you look at them), and 2 Fantastic Voyages. (I wonder if xenofon was counting the Silverbergs (which I don't) and not the Lucky Starrs?)

And agreed on the stories, too. :)

If you are referring to the Norby novels: Those were mainly written by Janet Asimov, but they put Isaac's name on the cover for sales purposes. And then there are two Mystery novels, but we were talking about SF novels.

If you are referring to the Norby novels: Those were mainly written by Janet Asimov, but they put Isaac's name on the cover for sales purposes. And then there are two Mystery novels, but we were talking about SF novels.

I was being a teensy bit impish there, I must admit, picking up on the casual reference to "all of Asimov's novels"... when he (or co-wrote) quite a few beyond those mentioned... and science fiction was (iirc) not specified in the posts (not to mention the Lecherous Limericks being mentioned at one point). And, of course, Asimov wrote in a rather large number of fields during his career, for that matter, albeit most of this was non-fiction (a Guide to Gilbert & Sullivan?!).

Incidentally, Murder at the ABA, while not (in my opinion) a particularly good mystery novel (though fun), does manage to have some in-jokes which sff fans would probably enjoy....

To J-Sun: Okay... time for the old man to retire to a deserted island somewhere and re-learn how to read.....:D

*"Oh, these young whippersnappers'll get ya ev'ry time...."*

My next Asimov read will be The God's Themselves.

I've jsut re-read that one and had forgotten how good it was. Also just re-read The End of Eternity

I've read so many knocking his style, so it was good to remind myself just what a good story-teller he is (sorry was) - and with such a good imagination :cool:

I count 22 novels: 7 in Foundation series, 4 in Robots series, 3 in Galactic Empire series, 5 stand-alone novels and 3 in colaboration with R.Silverberg ( I know that probably Silverberg wrote the last three novels and Asimov just signed on the covers, but all three are extensions of Asimov short stories and the style of writing is very similar with that of the Doctor).
The Lucky Starr and the Norby series doesn't seem serios sf to me (altough I may be wrong about this). Anyway, Norby series is written in the percentage of 90% by Jane Asimov (at least that's what Isaac said) and Lucky Starr is more like old pulp stories than science-fiction.
Of course, this is just my opinion.

Two weeks ago I have finished "The Gods Themselves" and I found it again very beautiful. The last months I've tried to read the novels who won the Hugo Awards and this one deserves the award.

I'm re-reading The Gods Themselves ... and I'm really glad that I decided to read it once again, now that I have a full grasp on what to expect in a sci-fi genre, I'm enjoying it... but am I the only one who finds it disturbing to imagine the intercourse of the para-universe beings (the soft ones)?

I'm re-reading The Gods Themselves ... and I'm really glad that I decided to read it once again, now that I have a full grasp on what to expect in a sci-fi genre, I'm enjoying it... but am I the only one who finds it disturbing to imagine the intercourse of the para-universe beings (the soft ones)?

I haven't read it, so I have no clue what you're talking about. But it sounds strange to me. lol. I'll have to check out that book.

I just finished reading the Foundation.

I just finished The Caves of Steal. I hadn't read a book by Asimov since 1973. I forgot how much I enjoy his writings. You've encouraged me to read The Gods Themselves.

I recently read through The Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, and 'Robbie' from I, Robot.

I just loved The Caves of Steel it was such a visual story, I preferred it to The Naked Sun but both books were great. Caves of Steel won it over from The Naked Sun because it seemed more detailed and believable.
I read the short story Robbie, from I, Robot and I think I fell in love. Made me think about when I was a child. It was a gentle, easy story but it was just lovely.

I completed, Robots of Dawn, the third book in the robot series. This book was written many years after Caves of Steel and Naked Sun. It is interesting to see how Assimov's writing reflects the social mores of decade when it was written. Bailey fully matures as a character. Very enjoyable.

Just finished reading The Gods Themselves, my first Asimov novel - *blushes* I'm a (very) late starter. Took me a while to get my head around who was who in the triads... maybe I should have taken notes, heheh.

The Caves of Steel next methinks.

Guide to Earth and Space 1991

Anyone wanting to bone up on a lot of related sciences, painlessly, could give this one a go. It's like relearning all the basics.
It's a series of questions - How big is the Earth, how heavy is the Sun- what are Solar Flares, etc. - each with a 1-2 page answer, which leads to the next question.
A must for budding SF writers, and an enjoyable read even if you know most of the information.

I also enjoyed The Gods Themselves but my most recent read was "The Complete Robot" Most of those short stories I remembered reading many moons ago but there were quite a few I didn't recognise.