The Winner of the Arthur C. Clarke Award for 2007 is…

Ian Whates

Author and Editor
Nova Swing by M. John Harrison and published by Gollancz is the winner of this year’s Arthur C. Clarke Award, the UK’s premier prize for science fiction literature.

This year boasted a very strong shorlist of novels, with the other contenders being:

End of the World Blues by Jon Courtenay Grimwood (Gollancz)
Oh Pure and Radiant Heart by Lydia Millet (Heinemann)
Hav by Jan Morris (Faber)
Gradisil by Adam Roberts (Gollancz)
Streaking by Brian Stableford (PS Publishing)

The judging panel for the 2007 Award were Niall Harrison and Claire Weaver for the British Science Fiction Association, Pat Cadigan and Graham Sleight for the Science Fiction Foundation and Dave Palmer for the Science Museum. Paul Billinger represents the Arthur C. Clarke Award as the Chair of Judges.

It was incredibly hard to pick a winner from such a fantastic shortlist but also a hell of a lot of fun!!! Congratulations to all.

I'm looking forward to judging again next year! :D

Hi Claire, Welcome to Chronicles!

At least the judges were all still talking to each other at the end (as far as I could tell), so the debate couldn't have been too heated. :)

Ian,

Great interview on the Today programme this morning - well done! I look forward to hearing who wins this year...

Hi, Patrick,

Many thanks -- short but sweet (the interview, not me :)). Actually, it was shorter than it might have been due to my part being conducted via mobile phone from the back of a taxi, because the taxi driver the BBC organised couldn't find where I live.

Still worth going into Cambridge though, because I reached the studio in time to conduct a second interview, which I only found out about this morning.

Like you, I'm looking forward to hearing what the judges choose. Should be a fun (if damp) evening! :)

Ian,

Thanks. What was the outcome - who won this year? I've looked for a thread, but can't find one :).

Good photos. I forgot to take my camera to alt.fiction. A few people were glad about that...