Anyone ever want more?

MastaMystic

The Narrator of DOOM
personally i loved the Belgariad and Mallorean but i was a tad bit dissapointed how he ended the Mallorean anyone else feel the same?

Do you mean the results of the Choice and the final fight with Zandramas, or the way that the nations were more or less unified towards peace?

In any case, I didn't mind how the Malloreon ended. Admittedly, though, there are lots of Eddings books I've wanted a bit more from - The Younger Gods series, for example. As for the Belgariad, well I would have loved to read more, if only because it's still one of my favourite series after all this time, and the books are rather short compared to most recent novels.

agreed the whole series was great i just wish he elaborated on it more.. although there wasnt much to tell left....

Mystic, have you read 'Belgarath,' and 'Polgara' ? There is also some interesting background in 'The Rivan Codex,' if you can sift through the dross.

ive read Belgarath and im reading Polgara i mean continuing the Mallorean....those books are past events...

Well I think he'd decided he'd done all he could with that world. You could argue that the entire Mallorean was superfluous as at the end of the Belgariad he'd; defeated the evil god, restored the throne of Riva and secured the future of the orb. Job done, happy ever after etc.

The Mallorean sounded like an example where an author is asked by his publishers or fans to 'continue' a finished story. People just want more because they liked the original and this can sometimes lead to ill thought out sequels. I think the Mallorean was actually quite well done but it did play fast and loose with a few elements from the Belgariad (especially with the idea that these 'prophecies' made gods into their pawns) and it wasn't that necessary to exist in my opinion. Perhaps it even started him on the slippery slope of author laziness which made his other novels (Elenium & Tamuli) carbon copies of his original success. The Mallorean was essentially the same as the Belgariad with a few new names thrown in.

Last edited:
the ending to The Malloreon was a bit happy families, but all Eddings' books have this NEED to tie all the loose ends up. However trite and annoying it was, the Tamuli trumps it by a full mile of saccharine... ewww. Naff ending of the millenium goes to...

I'd have left it as just the Belgariad, I thought it had a nice 'open' ending; yes, he'd set the world to rights, but I always wanted to know how succession would work in a royal family where Dad's ultimate great-grandpa was 7,000 years +.

the ending to The Malloreon was a bit happy families, but all Eddings' books have this NEED to tie all the loose ends up. However trite and annoying it was, the Tamuli trumps it by a full mile of saccharine... ewww. Naff ending of the millenium goes to...

It was exactly the same - if not more so - in The Dreamers series, well, what I can remember of it, anyway. And another good example of "happy families" crops up in The Redemption of Althalus, too...

I always wanted a Silk/Velvet adventure,(Mallorean), I would have thought that the huge world he had created would have been a ready made backdrop for a shorter series of books. I felt a bit cheated when SparHawk showed up, the B & M have a sentimental appeal to me and none of his other books quite made the cut I'm afraid.:)

Now, if ever there were two characters more suited to a standalone series, it would be Silk and Velvet. At the end of the Malloreon, when Silk is negotiating trade with the Angarak kingdoms, it opens up a different kind of storyline.

I'd read a story that had Silk as a main character.:)

Hurrah! maybe someone could write them if Mr Eddings didn't want too- like all those Star wars books I've seen. Or are they not very good? I presume they use the familiar characters from the films?

uhh well most of the starwars books use characters fromt eh movies I.E. Luke Leia Han Chewy but every now and then you meet an author that give you new charactors. as for a novel abotu the world of the belgariad not written by Mr. Eddings it just wouldnt be right Mr. Eddings has a certain writing style that cant be duplicated and to have someone else of a different style do something would just ruin the series unfortunatly

Now, if ever there were two characters more suited to a standalone series, it would be Silk and Velvet. At the end of the Malloreon, when Silk is negotiating trade with the Angarak kingdoms, it opens up a different kind of storyline.

I'd read a story that had Silk as a main character.:)
I once had a dream I was reading that book, many years ago :)

And HappyHippo - I'd assume that once Geran reached maturity Garion and Ce'Nedra would've abdicated in favour of him. I mean, even Ce'Nedra is likely to live a couple of hundred years, so it'd be a bit silly for them to leave it until her death for him to step down.

its possible that Garion rules till he dies or is too old to rule anymore ore he steps down when his son comes of age....and goes to live in the Vale with Ce'Nedra his aunt uncle Durnik and belgarath the twins and Beldin...actually that sounds like a lot of fun!

its possible that Garion rules till he dies or is too old to rule anymore ore he steps down when his son comes of age....and goes to live in the Vale with Ce'Nedra his aunt uncle Durnik and belgarath the twins and Beldin...actually that sounds like a lot of fun!

Except that Garion is potentially immortal; Ce'Nedra isn't, although her Dryad blood makes her long-lived.

note the potentially you said there... he could be the normal one in his family and bsides none of his ancestors lived longer then 75 i mean Geran his ancestor died of old age!

But none of those were sorcerers - it's pretty clear from the books that it's the Will and the Word that makes you immortal. After all Beldaran (Pol's sister) died of old age because she wasn't a sorcerer.

I said potentially because the book does show that sorcerers sometimes grow tired of living - Belmakor and Belsambar being the examples - and commit suicide.

Wow, I really have retained an awful lot of Eddings trivia :D

well not immortal per se cuz i mean Chamdar seemed to die pretty quickly when garion put him on flames...i mean they live long yes but if you put a dagger in their back they die...

Uh.
I've just heard that Errand becomes the Child of The light (Obviously haven't finished Malloreon) Can someone tell me what happens to Garion.. What he does in all this.. I really don't think i can be bothered reading 5 books if our beloved Garion doesn't do anything at the end.. hmm.. I'm not really that intrested in Errand/Eriond