• Cordelia's Honor, Louise McMaster Bujold

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be around for June (I did nominate the book, after all), but I couldn't get into Cordelia's Honor, and then I had to return it to the library... But I'm heading there today so I'll see if it's there and have another crack.

Somebody nominated and voted for Cordelia, and it wasn't me -- so why am I the only person who seems to be reading it?

(mumble, grump)

I read it - I discovered Miles late, and went through the saga like a .303 bookworm. I was a bit wary of the books without Miles himself in - "you can't really count being in a uterine replicator" I thought, wrongly, but I wasn't too keen on Falling Free, and avoided the two pre-Miles books for a while.
I think LMB has avoided the usual pitfalls in writing prequels, and has made Aral and the Captain really strong characters in their own right - the way that Cordelia short-cuircuits the expected plot-line in Barrayar had me literally whimpering with glee.
Excellent book(s). Thoroughly recommended, but I still think that it's a good idea to read one or two actual Miles books first, probably starting with The Warrior's Apprentice and The Vor Game.

Hi
Am new to the fourm and wondered how you go about joiginh the bookclub? Or is it being dispanded because someone posted is tehre any point continuing the bookclub??
I would like to join or start a young adult fiction book club maybe??
Anyways hope you experts can help:)

Hi
Am new to the fourm and wondered how you go about joiginh the bookclub? Or is it being dispanded because someone posted is tehre any point continuing the bookclub??
I would like to join or start a young adult fiction book club maybe??
Anyways hope you experts can help:)

While I don't think the book club has been officially disbanded, the problem with this is that people keep asking for such a club, get very excited about it, and then, by the the time all the set-up is done, and the votes are in... their interest has waned, or they find that life has taken over the time they'd intended for this, or numerous other things happen; with the upshot that almost no one actually participates. Even where some do, within 2-3 months it dies off almost completely.

My suggestion is that, rather than going with an "official" book club, you throw out some suggestions on shared reading for discussion, and see who responds. However many there may be, at least you have a good chance of getting some sort of discussion going, and others can join in along the way if they want. Just treat it as a normal thread, and see what happens....

Status
Not open for further replies.