• Cordelia's Honor, Louise McMaster Bujold

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very hard to suggest books when we haven't read them yet.

Yeh, I've been struggling with that. For the book club, I'd prefer to read books I haven't read. But it's easier (and potentially safer, as far as predicting the clubmembers' enjoyment) to recommend ones that I have read.

The availability issue also causes dilemmas. I wish Fool's Run wasn't out of print. It's short, it's good, and I think many of us would enjoy it. But even though I recommended the book, I didn't vote for it, because I've read it, and because people might not be able to find it.

Anyhow, after buying The Long Run and being somewhat underwhelmed, I got Douglass's book from the library--and am very glad I did, because now I can return it. I'm going continue getting any future book-club books from the library (if the books are available in the library), just in case . . .

Grrrrrr! I read the reviews and voted for "The Book Thief. And now a day later discover that its price and availiblity were not good enough for this group. If I can change, I would change to Consider Phlebas.

Well, it looks like third place may run a tie, so I'll probably just open a quick poll with those two books, so you can have your vote again...

I've poked around and made inquiries about The Book Thief and it seems to be something of an international bestseller. There must be plenty of copies floating around in libraries, or otherwise obtainable without a major investment. I don't think you made a mistake in suggesting it, Parson.

I've been missing for a few days (work and all that) so after reading the discussions I'm happy with whatever the group decides. After trying to read Hade's Daughter and failing so far, (which was not expensive as a used book, app. $5 including shipping and handling) I will try for the Library copies of any new books.

Voting is now closed! Looks like April's book will be Strange & Norrell, May's will be Cordelia's Honor, and June's... is a tie. I'll start a flash poll to decide which. Get in quick, one day only!

I predict we will have a lively discussion next month, since there will undoubtedly be strong partisans on both sides of the love it/hate it equation.

Ooh yes - it's a real love it or hate it book. Caused real ructions in my family, with a 50/50 split!

Whee! A bookclub book I can take part in discussions about! :)

Only my mum and I have read it in my family, and we both loved it. Though my mum says it gets a bit slow when the second war rolls around.

I'm going to have to start reading it - it's pretty thick, no? I was hoping first cab off the rank would be the Bujold - I walked into my library last week to find it staring at me from the shelves. Hope I can renew...

Yep, big book.

Though for some reason the paperback version is miniscule! I expect that the writing inside is even smaller.

I don't know about Australia, but we can borrow a book for 3 weeks, and renew twice. If it's the same, then that will give you ample time to keep hold of it, no?

Yep, big book.

Though for some reason the paperback version is miniscule! I expect that the writing inside is even smaller.

I don't know about Australia, but we can borrow a book for 3 weeks, and renew twice. If it's the same, then that will give you ample time to keep hold of it, no?

It depends on the library, but mine is three weeks, one renew. But I can always return it, linger until it comes out on the recent returns trolley, and sneakily snaggle it again. Or just read it quickly now. Either way...

Six weeks... three weeks of March, three weeks of April.

Should be fine for a few reads. You could get three in, definitely. Maybe even six if you don't read anything else.

And you can always make notes. :p

The tiebreak poll is closed, with Temeraire/His Majesty's Dragon taking the honours. So we have:

APRIL: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Susanna Clarke
MAY: Cordelia's Honor, Lois McMaster Bujold
JUNE: Temeraire/His Majesty's Dragon, Naomi Novik

I am pretty broke at the moment, so I might not be able to buy the Susanna Clarke book, for the next couple of weeks anyway. So I'm going to be reading The Long Run in the mean time..

Lenny said:
I don't know about Australia, but we can borrow a book for 3 weeks, and renew twice.
Culhwch said:
It depends on the library, but mine is three weeks, one renew.

Southampton is four weeks, and they have abolished the renewal limits altogether, unless the book is reserved by someone else in the meantime.
It only needed about twenty people to request this, after which they put a questionnaire in the branches asking for feedback. As the only people that actually fill these in tend to be the rabid readers anyway, it was practically a foregone conclusion that it would change.
Perhaps a orchestrated campaign from friends and acquaintances...?

That's entirely OK. Anyone who wants to is welcome to join in.

However, it's beginning to look like there may not be a Book Club discussion in June, because May seems unable to get off the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.