Suggestions for April, May and June...

Culhwch

Lost Boy
A thread to suggest titles for the Book Club in April, May and June.

I'll put forward two, one from each genre:

- Temeraire, by Naomi Novak, and

- Consider Phlebas, by Iain M. Banks.

EDIT: I think a week for suggestions, and then a week for voting is a good timeframe, but let me know if you have any problems with that...

Hmmm. If we get two suggestions each, I'll nominate:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding

Neither one is very old and both are available in paperback, so no one should have too much trouble locating a copy if either one is chosen.

I'll second Teresa's suggestion of Strange & Norrell. It's a fantastic book!

By the way, Teresa, she's got a new book of short stories about faerie, and Uskglass and Strange out, if you didn't know.

---

I'm not much of a Sci-Fi reader, so can I nominate a Fantasy book as well as second the one above?

If I can:

City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers.

It's his shortest of his three Zamonia books (but about 200-300 pages... still a big book, though, at 400-odd), yet it lives up to Rumo and Captain Bluebeat and is as good as both of them.

He's a German author, and boy has he got an imagination to boot. And a writing style that conveys it perfectly.

Even if it doesn't become a book of the month, I recommend it to anyone who wants a cracking Fantasy read.

I also vote for Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell.
My second vote is for Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

Patricia McKillip's Fool's Run (I read it long ago and would love to reread.)

Haruki Murakami's Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (I am curious about whether this translated-from-Japanese SF book is as spectacular as the hype makes it sound.)

Strange & Norrell definitely, I've been wanting to read that after reading all the good reviews other Chron members have been giving it.

The Book Thief by Zusak - had a few customers ask me for this, I do not have it (folks are holding onto this one), but looked it up to see what all the hub-bub is about. Man, it looks pretty intriguing.
edit: Dang it - I just saw that is isn't reeleased in paperback yet, so I don't think it is a good choice for a bookclub book. Sorry.

Instead I'll nominate Cordelia's Honor by Bujold - it is actually 2 books, Shards of Honor and Barrayar (Hugo) in the same universe with same protagonist, but they are out of print seperately

Last edited:
I'll include The Book Thief for two reasons - it rounds out nominations to an even ten, and I know the library where I work has it. Sure, it's only good for me, but still....

I'll post the voting thread as soon as I collect all ten synopses.

Oohh.. I've got one you might have heard of and the other not so much
Jurassic Park by Micheal Crichton(I am the #1 BIGGEST fan of that book and if you liked the movie, then you'll absolutly love the book because it's BETTER!)
And, Warriors by Erin Hunter. The book is knid of kid-ish but I enjoyed it but you might not.
JP for sci-fi and W for fantasy.
Over and out
:D :D :D :D

Voting's already done for April, May and June, Sahara Star, but keep an eye open in a couple of months for suggestions for July, August and September.