Favourite, Gemmell series.

Im reading The King Beyond The Gate right now so soon i will be able to see what Drenai is all about.

Connaver, read Legend first. The King Beyond The Gate is set after that.

Haha i know i have read Legend earlier ;)

I wrote this earlier today just above your post:

So far Shannow series are my favorit. Shannow is the one i feel most for. His world was so dark and he was so tragic hero that i really felt for him. Only Legend comes near what i felt after finishing Shannow series. Both i felt very emotionaly drained cause you felt so much reading it.

So far its this order.

Shannow

Rigante

Ghost King

Drenai i have only read Legend so far it cant compete right now.

The three Jon Shannow Sipstrassi books. He was such a memorable, identifiable and three-dimensional character.

I'd have to say the Drenai books were my favourite since it had the two Druss (who is my favourite DG hero) books in it and the first waylander book which I thought was really good.

The shannow books would probably come in second, got to love the Jerusalem man :)

The book I least liked was Ironhands Daughter which I gave up on because I just wasn't enjoying it and I didn't really think Dark Moon was that great either though I finished that one.

The three Jon Shannow Sipstrassi books. He was such a memorable, identifiable and three-dimensional character.

Exactly all of DG fans i have talked to agree on Jon being the most human and complex character of DG.

He had so many different sides.

I adored his inane goodness. He did so many things for others for so long that he deserved a happy ending.

My Favourite book was The Lion of Macedon. But my favourite series was the Waylander trilogy.

Waylander 1 – 3, the opening chapter of the first book – It just got me into Gemmell from then on. :rolleyes:

Hey Ferret nice to see another new DG fans over here :)

My next book of Drenai is Waylander first book so it will be interesting to finaly see the uber famous Waylander.

You will not be disappointed, there some of his best work – enjoy! :D

just got into Gemmell after years reading Raymond Feist and David Eddings plus historical fiction, and i must say his Rigante series has just about blown me away!

apart from Feist's Riftwar Saga this is the best series of books i have ever read!
strangely to many on here my first Gemmell books were the first two Troy novels which of course were the great man's last complete books before his sad passing last year after his own pesonal battle for life ended.
will make it through his other books over the coming months and know i will be in for a dood time.

you certainly will Uylsse welcome to the wonderful world of DG I went the other way from Gemmell to Feist I didn't think anyone could come close to DG but he certainly does almost match him

first fantasy book i ever read was Magician and both me and my wife have read every Fiest book published!
i do feel a bit guilty i never discovered DG earlier,always saw the books in the shops but never picked one up until i saw Lord of the silver bow and read it in less than a week(with four kids to look after too)
good times ahead me thinks!!:D

Welcome Uylsse !

im envious of you i remember my first read of DG it was also Rigante as you can see my nick and signature :D

Rigante are some of his best but he has even better books.

Try his Jon Shannow series it is great.

I have to agree with rigante series:) i read all of them in completely the wrong order though, including the damned series, my stupid local bookstore didnt have any so i ordered them in but some came before others, and im pretty impatient

Connavar of Rigante,

will look forward to the Jon Shannow series and also the Drenai and Waylander books.
been away on 4 day mini break and left my copy of Ravenheart at home:mad:
a nightmare!! had to read half of The Deathly Hallows(i know,shame on me!)as that's all we had with us(the book is not mine!)
now back and i can relax with DG again,thank goodness.

I've got to say that even though I love all of his books (bar the Jon Shannow novels 'cos I haven't really given them a chance yet.. though I will!) I think the Rigante series was the best. Though, the Troy books were fixing to be his best work. I can only hope his widow can do the last book justice.

BTW - Anyone else feel violated after the terrible ending in Stormrider? After searching desperately for an answer to that horrible last chapter, I discovered DGs' very own complaint and apology (which I can't find the link for so your going to have to trust me on, sorry.) He stressed that his publisher was really riding him and he was already way overdue on his deadline. He also expressed a desire to release a revised edition of the book at some point in the future.

*sigh*

Alot of DG fans including me didnt like Stormrider as much the rest of Rigante cause of Gaise Maicon and the ending was way too cheesy for DG book.

Now i know why cause i didnt know earlier about his publishers riding him on it.

I thought Stormrider was awesome, I know the ending was sort of cheesy. But the book was epic.