Robin Hobb is a she :)

I'm glad guys find Fitz convincing. I'm female and I always had trouble with him, because he's so whiny. I'm having the same trouble with Nevare too, but I love her female characters...

I honestly thought she was male because the name Robin for me has always been a male name (I at that point hadn't met anyone called Robin who was female) however there are plenty of female writers who are very popular, Anne McCafferey (God knows if I spelt that one right) Mercedes Lackey, Marion Zimmer Bradley etc, there are loads more but I can't be bothered looking them up. I think in the end people aren't surprised she's female when they find out, because female writers are no longer hidden away or dismissed immediately because writing might damage their fragile brains.

I honestly thought she was male because the name Robin for me has always been a male name (I at that point hadn't met anyone called Robin who was female) however there are plenty of female writers who are very popular, Anne McCafferey (God knows if I spelt that one right) Mercedes Lackey, Marion Zimmer Bradley etc, there are loads more but I can't be bothered looking them up. I think in the end people aren't surprised she's female when they find out, because female writers are no longer hidden away or dismissed immediately because writing might damage their fragile brains.

Or they might write (heaven forfend) chick lit. ;)