Which future do you fear the most?

Status
Not open for further replies.
everything is very pessimistic...

I personally fear a world ruled by one superpower with one agenda: the Bush-y neoconservative one that tries to impose 'liberty' on everybody else using military force. Their 'liberty' involves fixed elections in their own country that benefit only the rich and powerful. Then we will be controlled by global corporations that care only for their own good...

The future i fear is exactly the same as the one we live in now . Everything is so wrong on so many levels and it is all being flushed away by polititions .time and resouses are being wasted . we should live in a society where everyone has a job ,somewhere to live and a roof over there heads .if anyone has a problem with this then they should be sent to the outer hebredes . And we should invest more money in sustainable energy and space projects .everything should be run as efficiantly as possible,so that if disaster does stike earth than at least we hae tried .

What I worry the most is the collapsing of civilizations where we would have to kill each other in order to survive. We'd also end up with a Simplification period where the scientists, the doctors, and just anybody who could read and write get systematically persecuted and killed. Books get burned. Computers get destroyed. Just to get the Knowledge eradicated for fear that Knowledge will only bring death, destruction, and untold grief. All due to this forever war. And history get repeated again and again. Depressing thought, I know, but I fear we're kind of heading in that direction.

Have to agree. We seem on the cusp of technologies that will facilitate local wars having devistating global impact.
Recently a science journal announced laser weapons are nearing battlefield deployment as in the lab they have reached 50 KW (70 'required' for battlefield 'use').

Have to agree. We seem on the cusp of technologies that will facilitate local wars having devistating global impact.
Recently a science journal announced laser weapons are nearing battlefield deployment as in the lab they have reached 50 KW (70 'required' for battlefield 'use').

Oh frabjious day! Callooh! Callay!:rolleyes:

Now all we've got to wait for is for them to install them in your family automobile à la Ellison's "Along the Scenic Route".....

The theatre of war may shift, soldiers may not be the frontline anymore. Our beloved politicians able to reduce each other to a stain on the floor? the repercussions could be quite novel.

I guess the upside maybe that should aliens be sitting (levitating?) on the sidelines they may be forced to intervene. But that could be another can of annelids.

And I can't believe I spelt devastating devistating.
I'm sure there is some forum software that deliberately inserts phonetic spelling into the more erudite posts

Last edited:
A fundamentalist future. Religious/political/cheese-sandwich.

*whisper* Him. Him over there.
Who, him?
Yes, your next door neighbour, the one with the hat. He doesn't like cheese sandwiches.
I've never liked him.
Came out and said so, bold as brass. People like that, I don't know. Makes me sick.
I've never liked him.
He won't sing the cheese sandwich national anthem. What will we tell our children? That a man can deny cheese sandwiches?
I've never liked him.
Let's get him.
Yes. Burn him! Burn him!

A future that is like the past.

Quit whinging 21st century folk; try any time prior to the second half of the 20th century for size.

But I agree on the brain sucking spider thing.

<oratory>

Good point, andrew.v.spencer. It's easy for us to see the darkness in our future but compared to the 90% of the human race who have gone before us, we've got it easy. In fact, for those of us with access to these forums, we're also better off than 90% of the people who are living now (I'm talking about first world culture, of course, not just the fact that we have access to chronicles!).

The standard of living and freedoms that we enjoy are unparalleled throughout the rest of our history (I think - am I wrong? Would be interested to hear otherwise). The problem is that our perception of freedom is simply growing faster than our practical freedom.

I don't think that our future has to look bleak - there are a multitude of ways in which we can help to improve our communities (both virtual and realworld). If enough of us focus on this, we can then cast our nets wider and help the global community at large.

The future is what we make of it so as long as we don't start genetically modifying spiders to have a taste for brains, we should be okay.

</oratory>

**JDP steps down from his soapbox, smiling beneficently. Rapturous applause echoes throughout the forum, drowning out the catcalls of the odd nay-sayer. So engaged are the audience in JDP's oratory that nobody notices a set of eight eyes glowering malevolently from the shadows. Like a whisper taken by the breeze, they are gone, leaving only a lingering promise of doom.**

Last edited:
Oh frabjious day! Callooh! Callay!:rolleyes:

Now all we've got to wait for is for them to install them in your family automobile à la Ellison's "Along the Scenic Route".....

Scientific American has an article on upcoming battlefield lasers, sorry 'beam weapons'.
They are solid state about the size of trucks.

The interesting thing is the military take, 'near infinite low cost magazine' and 'little or no collateral damage'.

So warfare will become cheap and precise.

Hmmm. You just had to bring that in, didn't you, MM?:rolleyes:

To be honest, I'm not surprised. And it may not be all that long before they get into private hands somewhere, either.....

What about genetically altered brain sucking spiders with lazers for eyes?

Arrrgh... the horror, the horror.

No prizes for guesses which future I fear the most.
Ignorance,general stupidity,intolerance,racism,spying governments.....,
total depradation of the planet,idiotic governments,suppression of political opposition.....
That's the future i fear

Good sum-up. Worse than our planet being demolished by Vogons for a hyperspace bypass.

I fear a future in which we will look like at a slightly aquarium-shaped thingy like hypnotized idiots.It will show things which are 'broadcast';said things will be a bewildering variety of bad movies,insipid drama,comedies with canned laughter*filmed before a 'live audience'*,things called talkshows,in which people ask inane questions of 'guests',and the guests respond with 'duhhhh,what does 'inane' mean?',documentaries about life in the Playboy mansion,funny short clips the purpose of which is to entice us into buying an absolute load of bovine fecal matter,and a weather forecast which is "brought to me by the deleted deleted company".Ooww, is it raining today?Well,i'd better not buy the product then!!!
"new improved formula!!!"Ben
Ok then:
a future with
no space exploration
no love
no empathy
no creativity
no peace

I fear the future our government is trying to give us. Kind of like Vfor Vendetta really (scary thing is I can see it happening, can't you?)

The whole star trek thing is evil, maybe they brainwash everyone really.

the end of earth (my best friend and I can't agree on how that will happen though)

can't think of anything else

Gothic x

Status
Not open for further replies.