Shannara: what is it about?

1. GOLLUM

GOLLUM Moderator Staff Member

If that's the case I could recomend several authors to you that are antyhing but traditional inlcuding Ted Chiang, Steven Erikson, China Mieville, Neil Gaiman, Kelly Link, M John Harrison, Jeff Vandermeer, Italo Calvino and the list like the road goes ever on and on....:)

2. Grimward

Grimward Where matter vanishes...

Hi AVS.

If you want to give Terry Brooks a completely fresh start, pick up his Word and Void series (Running with the Demon, A Knight of the Word, and Angel Fire East). If you can find more than the most basic good&evil comparisons to LOTR in that series, well, you've keener eyes than mine!

If you're looking to try something in the Shannara vein again, Elfstones is great, but if you want a little distance from Sword, pick up the Jerle Shannara series. As you probably have seen, both are listed here under the flagship thread for Brooks' sub-forum, http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/3592-bibliographie-terry-brooks.html

Good luck, and hope you enjoy them! ;)

3. Tansy

Tansy Northern Monkey

Thanks Gollum

Already like Gaiman and have Gardens of the Moon on order. I will look into the others :)

4. Landroval

Landroval Active Member

Sword of Shannara is without question heavily influenced by Lord of the Rings. If you haven't read LOTR, read it first because there is no comparison in terms of writing quality!

However, SoS is still a decent book and can be enjoyed at it's own level, so long as you can stomach the author's blatent audacity!

Elfstones of Shannara is even better in my opinion and is proof that Terry Brooks can write decent original stuff.

5. BAYLOR

BAYLOR There Are Always new Things to Learn.

It post apocalyptic, Which I like. (y)

6. Ray McCarthy

Ray McCarthy Sentient Marmite: The Truth may make you fret.

It rains a lot :)

7. Bob S

Bob S Member

The Sword of Shannara is the worst case of plagiarization I've ever noticed. The first part of Sword has a gross amount of specific plot points/elements taken directly from LOTR. Imagine if Tolkien had handed Brooks an outline/draft and told Brooks to rewrite it in his own prose. The book does diverge later but still has so many copied elements that it's (literally) ridiculous.