Space Miltary/Opera: Walter Hunt's Dark Wing & Tim Zahn's Conqueror's Trilogy

bookfan

Greetings!

I've been wanting to read some books with a little bit of space flavor and those books caught my eye. Timothy Zahn is probably better known for this Hand of Thrawn Trilogy set in the Star Wars Universe, but I've never read them.

Next is Walter Hunt's "Dark Wing." I think this is his first novel, and the synopsis on the back of the book kind of reminds me of Wing Commander which I enjoyed playing many years ago.

Has anyone read them and what did you think about them?

Well, I haven't read the books, so no comment there, but I just wanted to extend a welcome to Chronicles, and glad to see you putting thoughts out there....

I've read the first of the Dark Wing books. It was... okay. If you like military sf, then it's better than most. Hunt's aliens were interesting, but I found his human characters cliched.

I don't read that much military sf, but one author I do particular like from the sub-genre is Richard Fawkes. His Face of the Enemy and Nature of the Beast are entertaining reads.

I've read Timothy Zahn's Conquerer series.
It was pretty good.
It certainly had an interesting twist on the old Humans vs "evil" Aliens war cliche. It's worth a read. :)