Has anyone noticed....?

ellimist84

Insanity takes it's toll, please have the correct
Hey I'm new to the site, has anyone noticed that aldurs orb and the orb from the series with sparkhawk (don't have the books with me so I cant check the spelling) are the same thing? theres a good and an evil side, they aren't the actual conbatants in the final parts or in most parts, they are (in all of the books) reffered to as different destinies or something similar to that, Aldur's orb lashes out for splitting the Earth and (if I'm right), according to the ellenium, the orbs 'daughter'.

P.s Iv'e noticed too many comments about Althalus (the book not character) was nasty, terrible, etc. Why?

P.P.s I've been writing a book series of my own, can't decide whether to continue the hard way (first person because it is better for someone else reading it) or the easy way (third person because it feels better to write like that) any tips?

I would go with 3rd person, 1st person book are usually awful to read, i have yet to find one i liked.

As to althalus; its the cop out of the book, oh gosh such and such went wrong...no problem i will just jump in tiem and fix it!! way to easy!

with style, it is what does best to tthe novel really. sometimes it works, othertimes it can just seem pretentious. check out our 'aspiring writers' section for info and advice.
as to the orbs, yes, and the book in althulus and i'm sure it's repeated in the elder gods, though i can't be bothered to plough my way through it.
althulus isn't badly written, it's simply a copy of better things that were done before, as are the other works done since. sigh.

I liked Redemption of Althulus

It was the first Eddings book I ever read, and I got it in hard cover when it first came out, 13 at the time and read it in like, three days. Would have only took me two by I kept getting intererupted. But yeah anyway, I really don't see what people find so bad about it, but then again I've found that I love all of Eddings books equally.

As a Stand-alone book, Althulus is one of my all time favorites.

Tamuli is my favorite fantasy triliogy (although the Inheritence trilogy is quickly taking that spot)

and the Belgariad my favorite saga (my way of distinquishing between trilogies and stories with more then three books.)

I really need to get off my ass and get the Crystal Gorge and The Younger Gods (thats the name of the fourth book isnt it?)

can anyone tell me how many books are in the Dreamers series?

Hi, Riven!

I just saw your post regarding The Dreamers. So far, there are 4 books:

The Elder Gods
The Treasured One
Crystal Gorge
The Younger Gods

I am ploughing my way through them now; I just got The Younger Gods in hardback. I read the first one, found it was so similar to his other characters, but I can't NOT finish a series so I'm muddling my way through.

ellimist84 said:

P.s Iv'e noticed too many comments about Althalus (the book not character) was nasty, terrible, etc. Why?

It put me off Eddings' for life, terrible, dreary, boring, predictable, lacked description and enough emotion!! Bad bad bad (Such a shame as loved Belgariad!!) I didn't even finish Althaus, thats rare for me!!

I love David Eddings work, and I loved Althalus... sometimes I just want to read a book and not think about what's going to happen next, there is nothing wrong with a little bit of predictability every now and then, but then I am a die hard David Eddings fan and I love his style. I was a bit disappointed by the ending but overall it's not that bad a book.

The ones that I gave up on was the Sparhawk ones, not because I didn't like the characters, I just found it annoying that Sparhawk had met his nemesis goodness knows how many times and he still didn't kick his butt! That annoyed me! It was too unrealistic IMO, as in reality they would have scratched, burned and tortured each other, but they didn't. Also I found it a bit drear for him.. I preferred Althalus, that's more in keeping with the Belgariad and Mallorean.

I have read all of Eddings books up to Althalus, and enjoyed them all, have also re-read them.

As to 'The Elder Gods', well I just didn't enjoy that at all :( For some reason I couldn't 'lose myself' in this book...

So once again, it just goes to show how different our tastes in literature are... :)