The time traveller's wife - Audrey Niffenegger

goldwine

Science fiction fantasy
Ive just recently read this book which was recommended to me by another reading forum. Has anyone else read it? The title says it all! It has quite an intricate chronological sequence. Im sure it would benefit from another reading. It has been listed as one of the "cant put down" variety, and I must admit to reading the whole thing in two sittings (which made me very antisocial). I wont put a spoiler about the ending, but i would love to hear others comments.

I just read your review LMA and let me say it was great to read and makes me want to read the book again.

I adored this book, great characters, great story, very vivid...

I gave my copy to someone, so I will be investing in a new copy real soon.

:)

Really enjoyed this book, thought it was wonderfully origional but I felt it lost pace and direction at the end. Would certainly recommend it to anyone however.

littlemissattitude said:
I wrote a review of this book, which you can find here.

I loved the book, and am on the lookout for a copy to buy - I read it out of the library - so that I can re-read it.

That review made me go out and buy the book. Even eye surgery and barely being able to see couldn't make me put that book down.

I adored the book.

Intersting news...while I was looking up something else on IMDB, I have discovered that there is to be a film version of this. Not due out until 2008, and no cast attached as yet. Be interesting to see how they handle this one as a film.

littlemissattitude said:
Intersting news...while I was looking up something else on IMDB, I have discovered that there is to be a film version of this. Not due out until 2008, and no cast attached as yet. Be interesting to see how they handle this one as a film.

It is not settled yet but I heard that Brad Pitt would play Henry in the film as he loves the book so much, the movie rights were bought even before the entire book had been read, just excerpts according to an interview I saw. There is also some talk of his wife playing Claire.

Hmmm...I'll have to think about that. Yeah, I can see him in the role. Probably not my first choice, but it could work. But I'm not sure I see Angelina Jolie in the role of Claire. Not sure who I would cast.

I think Mark Ruffalo or Keanu Reeves would make a great Henry, bringing that touch of melancholy to his character. I'm not sure about who would be best to play Claire, but probably not Jen!

Ooh, Brad as Henry? I'd have gone for someone more melancholy too Goldwine, but Brad's pulled it off before so you never know!

As for Clare, definately not Angelina Jolie, she doesn't suit the character atall. I'd probably go for someone less "dark", not sure who, will think on that!

I think the book will be quite difficult to transfer to screen, it will be hard to bring all that emotion to life.

Speaking of the book, probably my favourite read of the year so far, my mum just went on and on and ON at me to read it for months and I kept putting it off, but then I fancied a bit of a break from Fantasy so I picked it up and I just loved it. I laughed, I cried, I loved and I lost.

Wonderful wonderful book, I recommend everyone to read it!

xx

I would love to see Charlize Theron in the role of Claire - she has a depth and softness the Mrs. Pitts do not have. I still can't picture Brad Pitt as Henry though - but he is a wonderful actor so I'm sure he could pull it off if he tries.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what they make of the movie. The first few chapters are quite disjointed and difficult to follow so I wonder if they will resort to some sort of narration? Or will Henry and Claire doing their own narration be enough?

I really loved it too, and have passed it onto many other readers, along with Cloud Atlas and Oryx and Crake, so secretly "feeding" SF to those who would not attempt it otherwise... However, I suspect this book is truely 'unfilmable'; so much is in the writing rather than what happens. It is a fragile story, and I could see it being crushed under a load of Hollywood explanations.

Oh - and Brad - maybe too cute? What about Jake Ghyllenhal (spelling?!) -

I recently did a re-read of this. It was even better the second time around, and yes I had to cry a bit at the ending again.

Actually this has helped me also, I have been debating for months now, do I buy it or not? I've seen it in the bookshop and keep passing it over, not that it dosn't sound interesting, just I wondered if it would make much sence all that jumping around.
Ok one to get after I have finished the other 3-4 on my list.

Like Sathai I've read this book more than once and yes, there was a need to cry at the ending. It's a very good and well-written book. Strong characters who are well developed and a plot that keeps you caught right up to the end.

I like especially that it ended the way it did. That the writer did not cop out and go another way.

Another book you all might want to try which is the same but different is Ahab's Wife or Star-Gazer by Sena Jeter Naslund.

It's about the very infamous Captain Ahab's wife. And all of you who have read and loved Moby Dick and who understand the man he will will know that Mrs Ahab would have been quite something else.