Books to Movies --> what should be next?

What about the Dragon Riders of Pern? The Ninth Passage as a Series with Movies telling the story of Moreta, Nerilka, and the first colonists on Pern?

Okay, I just want to see some dragons... I admit it...:p

polymorphikos said:
Pfhh! The Cambridge Dictionary could kick Oxford's aas any day. The prose has such a wonderful definition to it.
Maybe we should set up a miniature boat race! Two dictionaries racing down a river in an epic battle to be turned into a movie. Think chariots of fire, with books! (and of course a vangelis score)

dwndrgn said:
What the hey is that? Sounds like something I'd like.
The adventures of a young scientist who is part of a naturalistic expedition in the uncharted regions of space. Episodic, but with three brilliant creatures and some memorable stuff. Also inspired the "Alien" quartet.

Ender's Game is being made into a film, Dark Materials is being made into a film, LOTR has been made into a film, Valerio Massimo Manfredi's novels are all being bought for future films..... Is it greedy to ask for more?

A Song of Ice and Fire ...... I am dreaming.
The Silmarillion ........ Impossible.

George RR Martin's Hedge Knight comics were the inspiration for the film A Knight's Tale.

1. George RR Martin's southern gothic vampire novel Fevre Dream should make for a very atmospheric movie.
2. An honest adaptation of H.G. Wells' Island of Dr. Moreau would be very desirable. I hear there is to be a Spielberg adaptation of War of the Worlds with Tom 'save-the-world' Cruise. I'm already dreading it.
3. The same for Conan Doyle's books of The Lost World and The Posion Belt (The latter should prove dicey though, since it's odd combination of cloistered chamber room drama and large scale devastation without explosions et al makes it a difficult sell to studios. But a mini-series could be possible, if they could get a deserted victorian London within budget.)

I'll be damned if I get excited about any swords-and-sorcery film adaptations though, Jackson's LoTR has much saturated that genre IMO.

Yeh, but I meant a good, faithful and artistic one, like that really good live-action eighties version of The Chronicles of Narnia.

But this is the 21st Century... We have the ability to do really good animation (Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within), but that doesn't stop production companies from making a real hash of good stories!!!

Wasn't The Chronicles of Narnia done by the BBC??? Then give the BBC loads of cash to produce some faithful/artistic stories!!! ;)

The Master™ said:
But this is the 21st Century... We have the ability to do really good animation (Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within), but that doesn't stop production companies from making a real hash of good stories!!!

Wasn't The Chronicles of Narnia done by the BBC??? Then give the BBC loads of cash to produce some faithful/artistic stories!!! ;)
As a child, I loved both the live action adaptions of the Chronicles of Narnia series as well as the animated version.

I don't know if the Final Fantasy movie should be considered a success story considering it bankrupted SquareSoft and got, at the very best, mediocre reviews due to the film's lifeless approach towards character animation.

I didn't know they'd done an animated version of CoN... Was that as good as the live action???

Well, I haven't really delved into the details of the Final Fantasy/SquareSoft issue... Shame that they weren't able to develop the system they used... It was leading edge stuff.. With further development, there could have been an alteration to incorporate more "life" into the characters...

I like those religious bible story animations, a LOTR or Silmarillion, or even The Hobbit would be great in this mode. Perhaps a beautifully childish anmiated Hobbit would be the most marketable.

Wow. You dig up some really old threads;)

The Malazan "Chain of Dogs" is almost written, by the way:)

kyektulu said:
The Dragonlance trilogy Dragons of autumn twighlight....
That would rule!!!!
xxxkyexxx
Who wrote that one? It sounds like a smashing Read!:D

Back