Suggestions?

polymorphikos

Scrofulous Fig-Merchant
I feel sort of foolish about all this, but I have a question. I'm going to try and knock-together the illustrations for Alice in Wonderland and get it bound for my nephew's birthday in July, and I was wondering (ignore the pun) about something.

The Wonderland illustrations in most editions are inherently creepy, especially those by Tenniel. I was wondering if this creepieness were a good thing, and if I should stick with it. Basically, if you were me (and lets assume, however erroneous it may be, that I have the talent to pull this off well) then how would you approach the illustrations. How much creepiness, how much whimsy, etcetera. I'd actually like to do quite a creepy version, but I don't want to scare the hell out of someone who will only just have mastered enough English to get something out of the story when I give it to him.

This really does leave me feeling awkward. I'm going to bail, and thank anyone who cares to respond with ideas. They'll be in black-and-white, too, if that helps.

I'm familiar with Tenniel's illustrations for the Alice books. Since the world is not packed with sociopaths who were permanently scarred by exposure to these pictures as children, and they've beeen around long enough for a trend like that to have manifested itself, I'd say they're safe. I don't know how old your nephew is (I'm guessing around 5?) but I've always felt that children are a lot less easy to scare than we'd think. I also think it's a great idea for a gift - very personal and definitely something he ought to cherish for a long time. If they turn out any good, that is! :p

If anyone is interested in the Tenniel illustrations, or wants to see them before responding, here's an online version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with the illustrations: http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/People/rgs/alice-table.html

Thanks for the feed-back. I've been doing some character design, and I realised I've developed an urge for extremely-detailed grotesqueries. These aren't the good kind, mind, but still the type I like. I'll avoid that and go for a creepy version that doesn't cross into horror. (Incidentally, if you do a Google image search of the Chesire Cat you get some very freaky images).

I'm also having problems with the Duchess's chin. Go figure.

Two points.

1: This should probably be in a different area, but where?

2: I have cobbled together a thingummy and would appreciate any opinions. The main difficulties seem to be anything lapine, the Cheshire Cat (until recently) and Alice herself. I either draw her as gawkish or far to mature, and this is a book about a little girl, not a video-game by American McGee.

Thankyou for any opinions opined. If I become a pain, anaesthetise me.

Attachments

• alice prelim.jpg
    alice prelim.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 195