Sci-Fi announces Stargate Atlantis in development

mordy

Teal'c of Chulak
This was taken from Gateworld.net

***Warning Spoilers*****

MARCH 31, 2003

It's official: The Sci-Fi Channel is developing Stargate's first live-action franchise for the 2004-2005 broadcast year! In a press release issued today, the cable network announced that Stargate Atlantis is among the shows it is developing.

The network will double its production slate for the broadcast year, with about a dozen potential series in the works. The network describes Stargate Atlantis thusly (beware of potential spoilers for Season Seven of SG-1!):

A whole new adventure with a new team begins in the successful Stargate universe. In this spin-off from MGM Worldwide Television, a secret base left by the originators of the Stargate is found in the most unlikely of places: on Earth, buried within the ruins of the legendary civilization Atlantis. The implications of this discovery lead the team to a distant universe, where they find a primitive human civilization threatened by a sinister new enemy.

The pilot episode of the series is currently being written by SG-1 co-creator Brad Wright, who stepped down from his executive producer duties for Season Seven in order to focus on the spin-off and the potential SG-1 film.

Should Atlantis stay on track for a 2004 premiere, it's almost certain that it's predecessor Stargate SG-1 will take its final bow next spring, and not continue on to an eighth season. Season Seven is expected to conclude in March of 2004.

The creators of show intend to bridge the two series with an SG-1 film, which would have to be rushed into theaters in 2004 to beat Atlantis. Alternately, MGM may choose to green-light the bridge film as a TV movie, most likely for The Sci-Fi Channel.

Caught this over at www.thefutoncritic.com

Interesting, but I am worried that the mentions of "A New Team", will mean an alternate SG team - SG2 anyone? Hopefully it won't be an all-human affair.

The implications of this discovery lead the team to a distant universe, where they find a primitive human civilization threatened by a sinister new enemy.
Does anyone else get the impression that the team wlll be getting "Lost in Space"???

not really

Originally posted by Tabitha
Caught this over at www.thefutoncritic.com

Interesting, but I am worried that the mentions of "A New Team", will mean an alternate SG team - SG2 anyone? Hopefully it won't be an all-human affair.

Does anyone else get the impression that the team wlll be getting "Lost in Space"???

WARNING - Mild spoilers for some of Season 3, 5, and 6 of Stargate SG-1

Honestly, I doubt it. If you think about it, we're pretty safe when it comes to star travel. The more and more we do for the Asgard, the more and more they do for us in return. I'm fairly convinced that by the time Season 7 is over and done with, we'll have become full-fledged ally's with the Asgard, and will be having regular communication with them, as well as regularly working with them to solve issues (whether they be Goa'uld or other). I'm particularly interested to see what the "fall out" is from Unnatural Selection. I'm curious to see if the Asgard begin holding us in much, much higher regard.

But this new series is supposed to be based off-world, that has been said from the 'get-go'. My guess is, that it is set several years in the future, and the whole basis of the story=line is based off the overall theme of season 7 of stargate SG-1, whatever that might be. Personally, I'm leaning towards a fight along-side the Asgard, one in which the Asgard are very close allys, more so than the Tok'ra are to us now. That would explain the "distant galaxy" thing. We don't travel out of our galaxy all that often, and when we do, 99% of the time its got Asgard involvement (except that time they blew up a sun, wasn't that a hoot! :)).

In any case, I'm eagerly looking forward to this show, as well as the possible movie. Just can't get enough. :)

Spoiler for season 6

I was just thinking about the S6 'Disclosure' episode. Nothing ever came of the Chinese, British and French finding out about the Stargate program, the SGC and Thor. If we are going to find a whole new civilisation below the sea too, and then the kind of regular communications with the Asgard that Ego suggests, it beggars belief that this could be kept quiet from the news media. This would now HAVE to leak out. How could it be kept secret any longer? Especially if the French know :)

Anyway, I like 'Stargate SG-1' because in general, it is set in the present day, with present day technology and expectations. It's not too fantastic. 'Stargate Atlantis' will have have to be more fantastic for all those reasons.