Devlin Announces Plans for Stargate Sequels

What direction do you think Stargate should take?

• 1) A Stargate sequel to the original film version only

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • 2) A Stargate sequel that combines both the film and tv version

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • 3) A Stargate sequel that ignores the film version and picks up where SG-1 left off

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters

Whitestar

With the abrupt cancellation of SG-1, it appears it will continue in some form or another. Dean Devlin, the writer of the original Stargate film had always wanted to create a trilogy of Stargate films and now, he may just get his chance. Currently, he's in talks with MGM about producing the second and third films, but he also clearly stated that these movies will be stand-alone projects, that is, it will not acknowledge the tv shows.

Here is the link:

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15537

Producer-writer Dean Devlin confirmed today at the San Diego Comic-Con that he is in talks with MGM Studios to shoot parts two and three to his original 1994 sci-fi filmStargate, which starred Kurt Russell and James Spader.

Devlin, speaking to the Comic-Con crowd about his next production, the World War I pilot drama
Flyboys, said he has signed a multi-picture deal with MGM and wants the completion of his originally envisioned "Stargate" trilogy to be considered for those slots.

"I'd want the films to stay on track for what the original three were planned to be," said Devlin. "I'd want to let the series stand on their own."

Stargate, a project that no one believed in – according to Devlin, has become an international sensation following successful SCI FI Channel series "SG-1" and "Atlantis." Devlin told attendees that watching what the "Stargate" phenomenon had become has been a great experience – likening it to a dream that had 'come to life, left his head, walked across the street, got married and had children.' You can't help but be proud of that."

"We've always envisioned it as a trilogy," Devlin added later when talking directly to the press about the sequels. "'Stargate' was also supposed to be the first part of three. We had written all three, not the script, but the story, when we did the first one and due to the nature of how that film got made, and how MGM has changed so many times, and their commitment to doing the series, they've been very reluctant to do the
movie. Well, under this new regime we've been in discussions with them and basically said, 'Look, one doesn't have to hurt the other. The series is doing great. Fans love the series, so much that it got a sequel. They may even be doing a third spinoff they're talking about. So it's alive, well and in good shape. But it would be great to finish telling the story we set out to tell 12 years ago.

So would he get Kurt Russell and James Spader back? He said, "Absolutely." Roland Emmerich? "Roland would absolutely be involved in it, whether or not he directs it will really depends on how much money I raise to make the picture." (laughs) "'Stargate' started as a story that Roland wrote in college called 'Necropol: City of the Dead', which was about a space ship buried underneath the Great Pyramid of Egypt. I had been working on, separately, without ever knowing, this thing I always called 'Lawrence of Arabia on Another Planet.' And when we met, he pitched me Necropol, and I told him mine, and I said how can we turn these into one story and our conceptual artist suggested, he said, 'Well, you know what's used a lot in science fiction and literature, but not that much in movies is the idea of the transporter. You see it in 'Star Trek' and a little bit in 'The Fly', but it's really a common device in literature but not used properly in movies. And that became the link, the Stargate became the link between his script and my script.

Devlin talked more about the story throughout the three films. "Our first movie was only trying to tap into Egyptian mythology. The second was to move into other mythologies. Then the third was to realize that all mythologies are actually tied together with a common thread that we haven't recognized before. So if you make it through all three, hopefully we're tying up all kinds of mysteries on our planet that makes one cohesive story. My hope is that the series could live as beginning when the third movie ends."

While I greatly enjoyed the Stargate film, as well as the tv shows, I think he's shooting himself in the foot by dismissing the tv shows. Therefore, I think there's a better alternative: merge the film and tv show as one. Think about it. SG-1 has already established that parallel universes exist in the Stargate universe. I think it would be very cool to have a Stargate sequel to the original 1994 film, featuring Kurt Russell, James Spader, Richard Dean Anderson, and Michael Shanks, as well as the rest of the SG-1 tv cast members as a parallel universe storyline. The corresponding character in the original Stargate feature film, played by Kurt Russell, was named Jack O'Neil. This was ignored, but there was once a joking reference ("Secrets") to another colonel who happened to be named Jack O'Neil who had "no sense of humor" (because O'Neil in the movie was brooding and serious, only to become witty and deadpan during the series).

Some fans consider the "Stargate" O'Neil and the "Stargate SG-1" O'Neill to be, in fact, two different people, such as being physically different from each other: O'Neil having blue eyes and O'Neill having brown eyes, as well as totally different face structures. In order for this to be consistent, they must assume that there were two colonels with the same name working on the Stargate project, with identically-named wives, each with a dead son who had been killed by an identical accidental firearms discharge. There are also references made within the SG-1 series to interactions between Jack and Daniel that were depicted in the movie, making this position somewhat untenable, hence, the parallel universe storyline solves all the inconsistences.
And while having cast members from both the film and tv show together would probably make a very expensive project, one must bear in mind that Stargate is one of MGM's cash cow. In fact, the Stargate franchise is the second biggest franchise with James Bond coming in first place. Believe me, they have a big enough budget to make this work, thus, pleasing both fan factions. What direction do you think Stargate should take?

Whitestar

If they are going to make the 2nd and 3rd trilogy, it has to combine both the original movie and the series. They linked the pilot to the film so well you cannot ignore the fact that the series is an extention of the original. That's why I liked it so much.

Would love to see Stargate back at the big cinema again.

STARGATE: CONTINUUM SHOOTS IN THE ARCTIC
March 20, 2007

MGM issued a press release today revealing more details about the upcoming Stargate SG-1 movies:
RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON JOINS CAST FOR MGM'S
NEW STARGATE: CONTINUUM

Former Stargate SG-1 Actor and Executive Producer Travels to North Pole Location
to Reprise His Role as General Jack O'Neill

mgmlogo.gif

LOS ANGELES, CA. March 20, 2007 --- Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM) today announced that Richard Dean Anderson will be reprising his role as General Jack O'Neill for the Studio's upcoming Stargate: Continuum.
Anderson will join cast members Ben Browder (Stargate SG-1's Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell) and Amanda Tapping (Lt. Col. Samantha Carter) in shooting on location in the sub-zero climate of the Arctic where the production is working in collaboration with the U.S. Navy's Applied Physics Laboratory Ice Station (APLIS) for the week of March 23 through 29.
"We're thrilled to have Richard join us for Stargate: Continuum," said Brad Wright, co-creator of the Stargate franchise and writer/executive producer for the latest installment for the property. "As General Jack O'Neill, Richard brings both a sense of history and familiarity to the continuing adventures of the Stargate team. And we all recognize his value as the much-loved hero among the Stargate fan base."
In addition to the frigid outdoor environments, the filming will also involve U.S. Navy submarine USS Alexandria (SSN-757). One of the most visually stunning and dramatic scenes to be filmed at the location involves the submarine as it bursts through the ice and into the cold Arctic air with temperatures hovering around 50 degrees below zero.
As previously announced, Stargate: Continuum will shoot a variety of scenes on location in the Arctic ice, located approximately 200 nautical miles north of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Martin Wood, Director of over 70 Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis episodes, is confirmed to direct Stargate: Continuum.

In January of this year, MGM made a commitment to continuing the Stargate franchise by giving the green light to Stargate: The Ark of Truth, which begins production on April 15 and Stargate: Continuum which will feature the epic ice camp scenes, and resumes filming on May 22. Written and produced by Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum will include the following Stargate SG-1 cast members: Ben Browder, Amanda Tapping, Chris Judge, Claudia Black, with Beau Bridges and Michael Shanks.

About APLIS

The APLIS is operated by the University of Washington and was formed in 1943 at the request of the U.S. Navy to bring university resources to bear on urgent WWII defense problems. From a wartime beginning focused on effective torpedo exploders, APL-UW initiated acoustic studies and oceanographic research programs to understand how variations in the ocean environment affected the performance of Navy systems.

About Stargate: Continuum

While SG-1 attends the execution of Ba'al, the last of the Goa'uld System Lords, Teal'c and Vala inexplicably disappear into thin air. Carter, Daniel and Mitchell race back to a world where history has been changed: the Stargate program has been erased from the timeline. As they try to convince the authorities of what's happened, a fleet of Goa'uld motherships arrives in orbit, led by Ba'al, his queen, Katesh (Vala) and his first prime, Teal'c. SG-1 must find the Stargate and set things right before the world is enslaved by the Goa'uld.

I think a trilogy would be neat... I would go see them in the theaters

Sorry but i think they are only being released on DVD and wont be in the theater.
which will be a bad thing because most people will just download it from a ripped copy.

personally i think they should have done an 11th season to kind of tie things off. and then it leaves it open for the movies. so he could go in what ever direction he wants to with them whether that be to start a new season on another network (so i heard) or to just make 3 movies with a start middle and end of.

I'd like to see a combination of both the film and the tv show. Both are famous in their own right, so blending them together might be for the best.

hey dont go down the road of a 11th series, i thought the tenth was bad enough..what they should do is have continuum to continue the fight with the ori thus ending the arc..stargatre started with a film, therefore its fitting it ends with a film..the 10th left the ending open, with them having all the asgard technology and the power to stop the ori once and for all..i think the 3rd film, i cnt believe im saying this, should be based on atlantis and the rimely end of the wraith and the other blasted replictors

I think a trilogy would be a fantastic idea. However I must disagree with many of those who have already posted. I am a big fan of SG-1 but the quality of the show delcined greatly in the last three seasons. I have a feew reasons why I say this: the severely limited acting ability of Ben Browder, the Valaa (sp.) character seemed out of place and gimmicky and also the episodes became little more than opportuinites for the writers to spoof the series. Many didn't care for Kurt Russell as Jack O'Neil but I thought he did a much better job of it than Richard Dean Andersen. Nothing against Andersen but Russell portrayed a much more believeable Air Force officer than did Andersen. Shanks performance was dead on-especially in the first two seasons-as Dr. Jackson and he was probably the bright spot of the series. Having said all this I believe if MGM were to bankroll a motion picture (or two)to the tune of tens of millions of (or possibly one hundred million plus) dollars the studio would want to do everything in its power to ensure its success. Furthermore I believe the studio would have significant doubts about having the cast include Richard Dean Andersen, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping, etc. instead of Kurt Russell and James Spader. I am not trying to insult the cast of SG-1 but one of the biggest keys to a film's success is having big name presence to get people into the theaters. Personally I hope if the sequels are made there is no consideration given to having the SG-1 cast participate. Devlin himself said that while he respects the Stargate TV series he doesn't consider them to be Stargate cannon. I think this would put to rest any controversy about who will portray Jack O'Neil or Daniel Jackson.

Many didn't care for Kurt Russell as Jack O'Neil but I thought he did a much better job of it than Richard Dean Andersen. Nothing against Andersen but Russell portrayed a much more believeable Air Force officer than did Andersen.

I think that this assumes that there is only one type of believable Air Force officer - which is obviously not true just what Hollywood would have us believe. Both seem reasonably believable charcters - just different.

I also thought it a slightly weird comment about Browder. Although I have serious misgivings about him being a lead character in the series, particularly alongside Claudia Black, (and those series were quite poor in comparison) both play different characters to their Farscape ones, so I would assume they can both act. Have you watched Farscape at all? I'm not sure his ability to act is the question that should be considered.

As for Delvin ignoring SG1 as part of the Stargate canon - how ever much he tries to ignore SG1, an awful lot of people will have that in their minds whilst watching any follow up.

At the end of the day, the studio has the choice: a follow-up to Stargate: The Movie, or a movie to continue the Stargate: SG-1 canon... and I don't think cross-over is possible.

I dont know how you can be a SG1 fan for so many seasons and think RDA wasnt good Jack O´Neill. He was what made the series so famous.

IMO Kurt Russell was as lame as the hole movie was......

I totally agree - it would have been so dry at the beginning without him. I'm still not sure what anyone would see as not believable about him. Is it that he wise-cracks? I'm sure there's a few of them around.

One question really is 'Is either actor really interested in reprising the role?'

In my original post I gave my personal opinion about the topic of the original cast from the film versus the SG-1 cast. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am not saying anyone else is incorrect. I don't believe that there is a right or wrong answer on this issue. Having said that I still hold to the tenets of my previous post. The two O'Neil characters (film and TV) have more to do with the different stages in the life of the character of Jack O'Neil than anything else. In the film, thanks to the friendship he formed with the kids on Abydos as well as the bond (not quite friendship in my opinion) with Daniel, O'Neil came to some sort of resolution about the death of his son Tyler/Charlie. In SG-1 we see a new O'Neil. In the series the character makes the jump from an emotionally vulnerable (thus the so-called brooding) to a wise cracking Air Force colonel. To me the sliver of realism of the film (i.e. it could very well be there is an ancient device spec ops forces go through somewhere under Creek/Cheyenne Mountain that takes them to other planets) is what made it so appealing. Translating that through the series I do not see a logical connection between the personality of the film version of O'Neil to the SG-1 version of O'Neil. This isn't the first example of this situation in Hollywood either. The Donald Sutherland version of Dr. Hawkeye Pierce in the film M*A*S*H was worlds different from the same character portrayed by Alan Alda in the TV series. I loved both the film and TV version of M*A*S*H and I love both Hawkeye characters but I thought Sutherland portrayed a more realistic version of a surgeon in the Korean War. The same issue is here with O'Neil. I didn't say I Andersen did a poor job of portraying O'Neil but that the feel of the character did not seem to be a logical development of O'Neil since we last saw him walk through the Stargate to return home at the end of the film version. This is why I think that Russell should return as O'Neil if and when the sequels are to be made. If Devlin himself does not consider SG-1 to be of any relevance to the Stargate story arc (whatever your opinion of that may be is another issue) then it would be illogical to incorporate a version of O'Neil that is inconsistent with the film version of the character.
However please do not think I am not an SG-1 fan because of what I have said. I watch the reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel everyday and I own the film and SG-1 soundtrack and they are among my favorite CDs. I enjoy watching Andersen crack wise as O'Neil and I have to admit that Amanda Tapping does help keep my eyes glued to the screen. Sadly all we are left with is that very-painful-to-watch Stargate Atlantis. Maybe I am a purist but Atlantis comes across as an updated version of Farscape minus the puppets. Gone is the hint of realism that SG-1 possessed (at least during the early seasons). Incidentally I continue to stand by my opinion on Ben Browder. In my opinion he belongs in those monster/ghost/disaster movies Sci-Fi Channel airs several times a week. I'm sure many of you have seen them; poorly written, terribly acted and with laughable special effects. I have nothing against Browder personally but I think the producers should have looked for a better talent to enter a hit series as a lead character. The producers seemed to want to capture the Farscape fanbase and attract them to SG-1 using Browder/Black's popularity. I have seen a few episodes of Farscape and from my point of view everytime I watch him on the show I see his Farscape character donning an SG-1 uniform. He is very one-dimensional and lacks the charisma Andersen possessed. An excellent move was adding Beau Bridges to the series. His portrayal of General Landry was very good and the producers got it right when they chose him. I only wish they would have made as good a choice when selecting a replacement for Andersen.

I completely agree with your opinion in why they employed Browder and Black. You are absolutely correct in that they wanted the Farscape fans - and its also absolutely true that he holds nothing on the screen presence of Richard Dean Anderson. I still wouldn't go as far as to say he can't act - no more or less than many actors in both Stargate incarnations. In my opinion Stargate should have been left alone when Anderson said that he no longer wanted to be a regular cast member - so we're probably looking at the end of season 6 or possibly 7.

As for the two O'Neil characters - the "O'Neill two lls" that Anderson repeated on more than one occasion, I'm sure was meant to be a very clear nod to the fact that they had completely altered the character.

As for what we all think should happen - many people are bound to disagree and have many ideas for the next step. In my opinion - they're always going to upset some fans so probably best to leave well alone. They're never going to do that however - we'll all just have to wait and see.

DO you not feel that RDA was only acting in the last couple of seasons he was present in, for a joke. Every performance I've been watching seems to be done as a dare, rather than with the proper effort he started out with.

I'm not sure he ever took it that seriously - not that the programme really suffered for that. I always felt that he acted almost as if they were happy to pay him to have a laugh he was happy to do it.:D

Michael Benjamin:

I was just surprised about you not like SG1's O'Niell because RDA has a huge following for that role of his. I understand that cause he made the series less generic with his humor and coolness. He is my favorit SF hero along with Mal from Firefly.

About Browder and Black they were amazing in Farscape one of my absolute fav SF shows but they didnt fit in SG1.

Its funny in Farscape i thought he was as funny and cool as RDA. He did the same for role Farscape well. His mistake was joining SG1 after too many season of RDA and when the writing quality of the show was way down.

If Browder had replaced RDA in season 4 or 5 he would be perfect for the role and do great in series seeing as the series was written much better than S9,10 then.