Trek's Jonathan Frakes to helm Thunderbirds movie

Tabitha

Save Angel!
From www.scifi.com/scifiwire

Frakes To Helm Thunderbirds

Jonathan Frakes will direct a live-action version of the SF marionette TV series Thunderbirds for Universal Pictures, Variety reported. The film will stick closely to the premise of Gerry Anderson's cult-favorite 1960s series, which followed the adventures of a clandestine rescue team made up of a retired astronaut, his five boys and several other associates.

According to Variety, production company Working Title developed the project for several years, with Peter Hewitt originally on board to direct the property as an adult action film. The story has been reconceived as a family-friendly adventure, much like the British series. Frakes last directed the Nickelodeon/Paramount SF family adventure Clockstoppers.

Production on Thunderbirds is slated to begin in early 2003. Universal Pictures is owned by Vivendi Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

Afraid I will not be camping on the flea pit door when it appears:(

I loved watching Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, et al. Still do. But current satisfaction rates with this type of film is very poor.

Thunderbirds is a quintessential British story led action/adventure.
By the time they've added 600 explosions, a bedroom scene with Lady Penelope in her NY apartment, a couple of fisticuffs, updated the shape of TB2 etc, there won't be a lot left of story or the original Thunderbirds.

Ray the Cynic:rolly2:

I agree with you, they'll probbaly end up ruining 'Thunderbirds' from what it is & that will indeed be a big shame if they do

I guess you beat me to this then?

Thunderbirds Live-Action Movie Coming

No, I'm not stringing you along!

Both 'Variety' and 'Reuters' have reported that Jonathan Frakes (Star Trek, Roswell) is set to direct a live-action feature version of "Thunderbirds".

The Universal Pictures project is aiming for an early 2003 start.

The British production company Working Title has been developing the film for many years, originally for Peter Hewitt (Thunderpants, The Borrowers) to direct. It recently took "Thunderbirds" back to the drawing board to reconceive it as a family film (reflecting the original TV series' core audience of kids under 10) instead of as an adult action picture.

Frakes, best known for playing Commander William Riker on TV series "Star Trek: The Next Generation," directed and co-starred in "Star Trek: Insurrection" and "Star Trek: First Contact." He most recently directed the Paramount children's adventure "Clockstoppers."

The American Cinematheque will pay tribute to "Thunderbirds" creator/producer/writer Gerry Anderson on 24th August 2002. Anderson will attend a screening of a "Thunderbirds" episode at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, and take part in a discussion afterwards.

Bayleaf and Ray --- Before you dismiss it, read the announcements again. They have ditched the --
600 explosions, a bedroom scene with Lady Penelope in her NY apartment, a couple of fisticuffs, updated the shape of TB2 etc
-- ideas, and gone back to make it a family orientated film. Frakes has experience with 'Clockstoppers' on this kind of film, although I think that Hewitt would 'understand' Thunderbirds better because he is British himself.

Re: I guess you beat me to this then?

Originally posted by Dave
The British production company Working Title has been developing the film for many years, originally for Peter Hewitt (Thunderpants, The Borrowers) to direct. It recently took "Thunderbirds" back to the drawing board to reconceive it as a family film (reflecting the original TV series' core audience of kids under 10) instead of as an adult action picture.

Bayleaf and Ray --- Before you dismiss it, read the announcements again. They have ditched the -- -- ideas, and gone back to make it a family orientated film. Frakes has experience with 'Clockstoppers' on this kind of film, although I think that Hewitt would 'understand' Thunderbirds better because he is British himself.

Forgive my cynicsm. It is the first time I've seen these details.

I will never dismiss the idea of a new film of Thunderbirds or any of my other favourites.

I will watch the film, and probably enjoy it. Thunderbirds, I think, will translate well to the silver screen. But I will still have to forget the original when watching, to give it and me a fair chance.

Many television shows that have been ported to the silver screen, have been reconceived for the 'Modern Target Audience'. Ending up missing the point of the original and leaving me wondering why they didn't just do something new.

In the case of Thunderbirds, the 'Modern Target Audience' seems to be as fascinated as I was all those years ago (at least the bits of it I see regularly). Even the old films were entertaining. So what is there that needs to be reconceived?

Re: Re: I guess you beat me to this then?

I saw that the 'SciFi Wire' story didn't have any of the 'family orientated' parts in it, even though they come from the same original source. Thats really why I posted the story again.

Originally posted by ray gower
So what is there that needs to be reconceived?

Maybe I read it wrong, but this is a project that has been around for several years. I heard about it last year when it was being dropped. They were originally intending to make just the kind of adult actioner that you would hate, but have now reconceived THAT idea to return to a kids film instead.

They are bound to mess something up, but at least it is a British production company.

Your cynicism is healthy, when you hear about the plight of the new 'Battlestar Galactica' TV series, or the recent 'Rollerball' film, and their reconceived ideas.

That is good to hear as you change some parts of it & it just isn't the same any more

Forgive me too, it's just that this rumour has been going around for some time now, particularly in regards to actors playing the different characters & yes I'm interested in seeing it

In September's SFX magazine they say that it's too early to get any details of the casting for this, but they speculate based on who the producers approached in 1999 for for the earlier attempt.

Back then they talked to Kristen Scott Thomas about playing Lady Penelope, and to Pete Postlethwaite about being Parker, and also to Rowan Atkinson to play Brains.

I heard that Chris Evans was rumoured 2 be playing Brains & it was something like Joanna Lumley 4 Lady Penelope & the 4 Baldwin Brother 4 4 of the Tracy Brothers

:blush:

Originally posted by Bayleaf48
I heard that Chris Evans was rumoured 2 be playing Brains
I do hope not!
Surely there is somebody that gives at least an aura of intelligence. Besides Brains was an American.

Think Joanna Lumley may be a little past it as well now. Though I would be hard pushed to think of a British actress that could fill the role as well

I hadn't heard that, and Chis Evans as Brains sounds like a joke.

Though he would make a good Brains!

Joanna Lumley is too old to play Lady P!

How about the McGann brothers?

I heard it a couple of yrs back, so obviously iy's bound 2 change Dave

Frakes Warps Into Thunderbirds

SCIFI WIRE - Jonathan Frakes told SCI FI Wire that he didn't know anything about Thunderbirds before signing on to direct a big-screen live-action version of Gerry Anderson's cult SF marionette TV series. "I know a lot about it now," Frakes said in an interview. "It's about a family international rescue team that functions under the radar of the public."

Frakes added, "This family, the Tracy family, is called in to save falling bridges and burning buildings that firemen can't save. It's one of those situations where someone calls a hotline, and this family comes to the rescue. There's also a wonderful international spy named Lady Penelope, who drives a six-wheel pink Rolls Royce. The original show was done with marionettes, and it was pretty wacko."

Frakes—who previously directed the Star Trek movies First Contact and Insurrection, as well as Clockstoppers—will jet this weekend to England in order to hire a crew and audition actors. "What I understand from being over in England already is that Thunderbirds is as popular with the English as Star Trek is with Americans," he said. "It's a huge favorite there, with the toys and the Tracy family action figures. All of those things are still huge sellers at Christmas every year. As I understand it, England, Australia and Japan have a passionate audience. Anyway, our version of Thunderbirds will be entirely live-action, with a Spy Kids meets James Bond kind of vibe." Production will begin in February 2003, with filming slated to take place in South Africa and London. Universal will release Thunderbirds in 2004. Universal Pictures is owned by Vivendi Universal, which also owns SCIFI.COM.

Hmmm! "pretty wacko".

Maybe he isn't the right person for this if he had such a sheltered childhood. I'm afraid he has just gone down in my estimation several places.

Anyway, our version of Thunderbirds will be entirely live-action, with a Spy Kids meets James Bond kind of vibe.

This doesn't make me any more confident either!

James Bond is an institution, a fun romp, full of gadgets etc. so they might get away with that, though remembering Flemmings original books, he is probably rotating at a fair rate of knots at the result. What price the bedroom scene?

Spy Kids. I am less sure about- Even my Grandson got bored with it.

Thunderbirds. Captain Scarlet et al. were always adult style, marginally eased for children- They even had people smoking and drinking! (cut from some US editions).

That is what made it fascinating to all ages. Weenie-Bopping it to rank with Spy Kids is surely a loser as a start point.

Actually, I liked 'Spy Kids' and 'Spy Kids 2'! I think there was something in them for all ages.

But, I agree with you that 'Thunderbirds' just isn't 'James Bond' or 'Spy Kids'. And it shouldn't be made that way.

I think he may be making a connection between the gadgets in 'James Bond' and in 'Spy Kids' and the Thunderbird craft and machines, but if he doesn't understand the difference it is very sad.

There is a difference & trying 2 connect them without simply knowing that difference will spoil the film

When I read that last quote from scifiwire I did find myself rolling my eyes, thinking "great, I am not even that big a Thunderbirds fan, but this guy is really going to stuff it up altogether".
At the very least it sounds as if the cast will be mainly British - as it should be.

I am a big big fan of Spy Kids BTW - laughed my legs off at that one, can't wait to see the sequel.

This is picky I know, but the only British central characters in TB were Parker and Lady P!