What was the last movie you saw?

My Neighbour Totoro is on at the moment. However, I am torn. Spirited Away starts soon on another channel and I do like that one. But I've seen that one and not My Neighbour...

Maybe I should just keep switching between the two. Two minutes of one, two minutes of the other...

Apparently bank holiday weekends are not complete without a lot of Studio Ghibli. Not that I'm complaining in the slightest.

Devil Doll A fairly decent chiller from 1964. What is it about ventriloquist's dummies that frightens us so?

Just finished Awake. I'm pretty sure it was originally suppose to have Brad Pitt as the main character and get a theatrical release, but the one I saw had Hayden Christensen and was on tv. If that's not enough warning, it's all about a guy who wakes up during a heart transplant, but can't move or tell anyone. It sounds creepy enough, but it's done really, really bad. First of all, he wakes up during surgery and barely feels any pain? So... what's the point? All it does is prove that he can't act. The rest of the so-called actors aren't much better, and the story such a cliché you probably know everything about it already from reading this. Hint 1: He'a filthy rich and recently married. Hint 2: You don't need more hints. Avoid at all cost.

Btw if you want really gross, I saw a movie once about a guy who woke up during autopsy. And I mean "left the table" wake up, not "darn can't move" wake up. It ended with a woman punching him in the stomach so the wound opened up again, and all his intestants fell out. While he was still alive. Now that's gross. :D

I watched Splice last night. I wasn't hugely impressed to be honest. It wasn't bad, just hugely predictable.

Just watched Lars Von Triers AntiChrist.

The first 4/5s are beautifully directed and I was thinking that I must watch more Von Trier - some beautiful imagery and an interesting subject.

Now, I had heard about all the controversy surrounding this film but being a horror fan i was quite looking forward to this aspect.

However this film is not really scary, it is however very difficult to watch the graphic and nauseating imagery in the final fifth of the film. Wow there was some sick stuff that came out there.

Anyway, the director is obviously talented and I will check out his other stuff but this film is not for the faint hearted.

I watched AntiChrist and fell asleep... :eek: Though if you want Von Trier at his best, you might want to watch the danish mini-series Riget and Riget 2. They are pure awesomeness. :D Although they are in danish, I'm pretty sure they were released internationally as Kingdom. We're talking ghosts, voodoo and stuff. Even a guy trying to turn another guy into a zombie in Riget 2. :p

They were later remade as Kingdom Hospital by Stephen King, but I haven't had a chance to see that version yet.

I've got Riget I, and Riget II on DVD - titled in English as The Kingdom, Series One, and Series Two. They're in Danish with English subtitles. Definitely worth a watch.

If you're going to purchase them, you might want to do so fairly soon, at the kind of prices they're currently listed at on amazon. My copies were put out by Koch Lorber, but Lorber is now paired with Kino, and the price they're listed at on Kino's website is ridiculously expensive. (They seem to only be listed there under 'Educational Pricing'.)

Whether or not they'll be listed at those exorbitant prices once amazon no longer has any Koch Lorber copies, and has to get them from Kino, I have no idea.

I was amazed to find my copies for an incredibly cheap price at a thrift store - they'd never been opened.

Amazon.com: The Kingdom - Series One and Two: Udo Kier, Ernst-Hugo Järegård, Kirsten Rolffes, Peter Mygind, Søren Pilmark, Holger Juul Hansen, Ghita Nørby, Baard Owe, Birgitte Raaberg, Jens Okking, Otto Brandenburg, Annevig Schelde Ebbe, Morten Rotne

Search Results - Kino Home Video

I saw some of the Kingdom Hospital episodes put out by Stephen King. In my opinion, it's not nearly as good.

Kwaidan (1965) Masaki Kobayashi's superb collection of four ghost stories. All of them have great sets and some fine cinematography. My personal favourite of the four is The Woman Of The Snow.

At over 180 minutes running time, it's a bit of a marathon but very rewarding to watch. Highly recommended:)

Kwaidan (1965) Masaki Kobayashi's superb collection of four ghost stories. All of them have great sets and some fine cinematography. My personal favourite of the four is The Woman Of The Snow.

At over 180 minutes running time, it's a bit of a marathon but very rewarding to watch. Highly recommended:)

Great film. Especially considering how long ago it was made. I especially liked "Hoichi The Earless" not only for its ghostly tension, but also because it recounts historical incidents from the battle of Dan-No-Ura.

Great film. Especially considering how long ago it was made. I especially liked "Hoichi The Earless" not only for its ghostly tension, but also because it recounts historical incidents from the battle of Dan-No-Ura.

Yes, they are all great stories. Hoichi The Earless makes me want to learn to play the Biwa:)

Just seen Limitless at the cinema. Dull in the beginning... and in the middle. Picked up towards the end, but God the main character was smug. Smug smug smug. Kinda predictable, but all right.

Jumper, for the second time. Not as bad as it first appeared. In fact, quite enjoyable, although Hayden Christensen can't act his way out of a paper bag.

A Kind of Loving, 1962. John Schlesinger's beautiful adaptation of Stan Barstow's famous kitchen-sink novel

Alan Bates and June Ritchie were beyond superlative in this film; natural, graceful and heart-broken to the right degree and in correct order.

Probably my favourite Brit movie of the 60s, and one that I watch every couple of years.

Don't miss it if it comes your way.

:)

I did a double-feature and watched The thing from another world and the Carpenter remake The Thing. They are both pretty darn good movies when watched independently, but they are even better if you watch both together. In many ways they are identical (scientist in the Antarctica finds a spaceship buried under the ice and unleash a deadly alien), but they are two very different movies. The original focus heavily on the alien stalking the corridors and fighting an enemy you don't know (and clearly an inspiration to Alien), but the remake is more about paranoia and not being able to trust anyone. Both are excellent and well worth watching.

I did a double-feature and watched The thing from another world and the Carpenter remake The Thing. They are both pretty darn good movies when watched independently, but they are even better if you watch both together. In many ways they are identical (scientist in the Antarctica finds a spaceship buried under the ice and unleash a deadly alien), but they are two very different movies. The original focus heavily on the alien stalking the corridors and fighting an enemy you don't know (and clearly an inspiration to Alien), but the remake is more about paranoia and not being able to trust anyone. Both are excellent and well worth watching.

The Carpenter film is the one that is faithful to John Campbell's original story. But, as you say, both are classics in their own way. Would you believe there may be a prequel in the works?

Who Goes There? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Independence Day (1996) - on TV for the Bank Holiday afternoon.

Enjoyable hokum, though even my suspension of reality was severely tested by the revelation that the Critters-from-Another-World apparently use Windows 95...

I have watched quite a few films recently, lets see if I can remember them.
In no particular order (except that in which I remember them)
Fair Game - not as good as I hoped, interesting, but not really very thrilling, I have seen better political thriller type films. Naomi Watts is good (as always) and Sean Penn wasn't bad, but the film just didn't get into the nitty gritty thrills that I expected, I suppose because it was based on real life. and we all know real life is boring!

Wake Wood - what a pointless film, a couple lose thier child to a dog attack then a year later they move to some small Irish village/town called Wake wood, where, through the process of some ancient ritual, people who have been dead less than a year can be brought back to life for 3 days (as long as there is a dead body to use so someone has to die and be utilised) but if they are dead more than a year then they become evil and kill lots of people. Kind of ridiculous premise and not very well done. Lots of animal violence, girl killed by dog, man killed by bull, dog skinned alive after being hit by a car.

Little Fockers - I'm not a big fan of the Focker films but this one (as most of them did) made me laugh a few times, Owen Wilson's character is quite amusing, but I don't like Robert De Niro (I once thought he was great but then I read a biography and since then I think he sucks, his old stuff is brilliant, but I don't think he has done anything good since awakenings) and Ben Stiller is never as funny as he when he is being silly. Still it made me laugh out loud several times and is probably worth a watch. Just hope they don't do anymore.

umm. I think that is it. no wait! I also saw most of Princess Mononoke a Anime film about, hmm not entirely sure :) some sort of battle between humans and animals and gods, something to do with a forest and the spirits that live there. I thought it was brilliant, very cool. Will have to try and watch it all sometime.

The Football Factory
A pretty decent film but extremely violent. It left me thinking...why do people actually live like that?