Spider Robinson: who is he, and what has he written?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I know nothing about Spider Robinson, but it was highly recommended that I open a board dedicated to him by one of the staff.

so...now I'm wondering what he writes about - what themes - and which are the most pivotal and famous novels?

Well as to who he is and what does he do, here is a blurb from the 'About the Author' portion of one of his novels.

"Since he began writing professionally in 1972, Spider Robinson has won three Hugos, a Nebula and numerous other awards, and published 28 books, eleven of which involve Mike Callahan and his family and friends."

It doesn't tell you much other than he is a successful writer. The best way to describe his work is hopeful optimism, spiced with intelligence, humor and technology served up in a friendly bar where all drinks are a dollar and puns are rewarded.

I love his books because they make me think, they make me laugh and they make me wish I could go for a visit and stay for the rest of my life.

The Mike Callahan books center around a bar, Callahan's Place where everyone is accepted, no matter their flaw, their planet of origin or their bad puns. The people who gather there work out their problems together. Together is the key word. Every character introduced has had some sort of tragic happening in their life, or is just plain odd like the Lucky Duck who happens to be the offspring of a Pooka and a Fir Darrig who tends to make the laws of probability do strange things around him. The narrator, Jake Stonebender, lost his wife and child when the brakes failed on his car; the brakes that he was too cheap to have an expert change and did himself. Then there is a whole cast of characters who each have their own little quirks. I could go on for hours about Doc's puns or Slippery Joe and his two co-wives, Ralph van Wau Wau the talking dog...well you get the picture.

Just taking it as plain humor, popcorn reading - it's a blast. A fun, scifi lite story of friends getting together, having a great time and ending up saving the world. However, if you really read deeper in, Robinson has a lot to say about what is wrong and what is right (like God's Blessing - Irish Coffee) about our world today. I find his writing to be extremely intelligent and well-thought-out. I would recommend it to anyone with a sense of humor.

As far as themes go, they range from the idea of forgiving yourself for living through tragedy to accepting the foibles of others, or tolerance if you will. Each book (in the Callahan series) tells the story of one piece of life that surrounds the bar called Callahan's Place.

Callahan's Key, one of the latest, discusses Nikola Tesla (he happens to be a regular at the bar), saving the universe from the US defense system and moving to Key West. I just read it last month and enjoyed the heck out of it.

The first book in this series is 'Callahan's Crosstime Saloon' and the title means exactly what it says. Go on, pick one up. You won't regret it.

I find it hard to believe that of all the members here I'm the only one who seems to have read and enjoyed his Callahan series. I honestly believe that quite a few members should try one or all of the series, just check it out. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

dwndrgn said:
I find it hard to believe that of all the members here I'm the only one who seems to have read and enjoyed his Callahan series.

Nope, sorry, I haven't read any of the Callahan books, but I've read a couple of standalones, and the first two books in the Stardance Saga.

I agree, he's well worth a read - I'd recommend Stardance, which is also supposed to be one of the author's own favourites.

I've yet to read one of these authors books. Which would be the best book to start with :)

If you are interested in the Callahan series which is sort of a scifi/fantasy/reality/comedy based story you would start with Callahan's Crosstime Saloon its the first in the Callahan series. After that is Time Travellers Strictly Cash and then Callahan's Secret. For his other straight scifi work (which would probably not be for you considering your normal likes, rune) the Stardance and Starseed were his favorites.

If you just want to get a taste of the author's style you can check some of his shorts at his website which he updates pretty regularly
http://www.spiderrobinson.com
Also here: http://www.spiderrobinson.com/about.htm is a fantastic article (down below his listing of awards) by Patrick Leary about his first foray in the mind of Spider Robinson.

there is also a listing there of current re-releases, new books out, his music and musings...kind of a fun place just to traipse around :)

Thanks for replying, got a lot of info there :) I'll go check out his website, and see if anything appeals :D

I find it hard to believe that of all the members here I'm the only one who seems to have read and enjoyed his Callahan series. I honestly believe that quite a few members should try one or all of the series, just check it out. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

The Callahan series for is very special to me. I used to be a metro bus driver. About six or seven years ago after my run I returned back to the yard. I finished my paperwork and got up to sweep the back and found a tattered copy Callahan's Crosstime Saloon on one of the seats.

99 times out of a hundred I would have dropped it in the lost and found box by dispatch, but the cover looked interesting so I took it home and read it. Now back then I wasn't what you'd call a big reader, but after I read the first story "The Guy With The Eyes" I was hooked.

I've read the whole saga from Callahan's to Lady Callahan's to where Jake took over for Mike.

For any one who hasn't read them the best I can describe the books is that they're a primer on how the human race "should" work.

Sometimes I like to think that Mike Callahan left that book on that seat. "TO GOOD BOOKS!!!" -SMASH!!!-

I have read and LOVED the Callahan series!! But then I don't mind the occasional pun - even if they are grade three!

Unfortunately I have only two of the books - they are hard to get a hold of here in Australia - I must see what I can do through the internet now I know there are more out there.