What is your fave genre?

Not sure how this thread got by me until now.

I have trouble saying which genres I love most, but crime/mystery/detective fiction has drawn me recently, as it did when I first started reading the Power boys stories (Hardy boys knock-offs) and segued into Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers, among others, in grade school.

In retrospect it's surprising how many crime/... anthologies contain horror stories (mainly of the non-supernatural variety), which led me to that genre. Fantasy and s.f. were a short hop away from horror. (Don't give me that raised eyebrow! "Who Goes There?", The War of the Worlds and The Island of Doctor Moreau, "The Little Black Bag" & "The Mindworm", "The Twonky" & "Vintage Season" & "Mimsy Were the Borogoves"; "It's a Good Life"; "The Cold Equations" ...)

So, I guess
Crime/mystery/detective
Horror
Fantasy
S.f.

At least, this month.

Randy M.

I meant to add earlier that "gorenography" doesn't appeal to me, either. I don't usually mind violence that fits the story, but I prefer fiction that plays on our fears. The New Weird and old weird are often attractive to me, as are ghost stories and the like.

Randy M.

A couple of my favorites would be literary ghost stories in the M. R. James tradition; travel books such as I've discussed in the thread on that topic -- but really I don't go by genre that much, it's much more by author. I love, and reread, Tolkien, but would avoid most fantasy, for example.

A couple of my favorites would be literary ghost stories in the M. R. James tradition; travel books such as I've discussed in the thread on that topic -- but really I don't go by genre that much, it's much more by author. I love, and reread, Tolkien, but would avoid most fantasy, for example.
Have you read Penelope Fitzgerald's "Gate of Angels"? One of the characters is based on M. R. James, and one of the chapters is a fake M. R. James story, that said character supposedly wrote.

You might want to check out the comic fantasy novel Silverlock by John Myer Myers . It was written in 1949 and it's quite a fun and interesting read. The main character Shandon Sliverlock finds himself shipwrecked on an Island called The Commonwealth. and what's interesting is the island is populated by all fantastic characters of Myth and literature . :cool:

Contemporary fantasy (not necessarily urban), soft sci-fi, horror of any subgenre. Any combination thereof is pretty fun.

Hmmmm, I dont even know! LOL Depends on my mood, somtimes its fantasy, somtimes its SF :) Im not a great fan of horror but like it somtimes if its very good :) As of this moment in time I would have to say

1) Fantasy
2) SF
3) Horror

:)

Hi and welcome to the chronicles forums. :)