Which two-parter did you like better? "Scorpion" or "Year of Hell"?

Neo

Red Pixie Boot Wearer
I have been think today which one of these two parters did I like more? I mean these episodes were great in my mind. I'm leaning more towards "Year of Hell" though because "Scorion, part 2" started to lack something.

My preference is towards Scorpion.

Both episodes showed how erratic Janeway can be, but Scorpion at least left the Reset button in one piece, rather than pressing it so hard it fell out the bottom.

From Year of Hell I am left wondering why Voyager lasted so long. By six months they had pitched most of the crew overboard and everything was failing, Who was repairing it and what with?

I vote 'Scorpion'.

I wish 'Year of Hell' had been series of Hell. The way Voyager looked is how it should have been during most of the journey, since it was constantly under attack, without enough supplies, and with few friends.

these both rank high on my list of fave voyager episodes.

if pressed, i'd choose 'scorpion'. the shine has worn off it just a bit in subsequent viewings, but when i saw it for the first time i remember being really impressed. of course, that was back when the borg were still scary...

also, i think the general quality of voyager improved from 'scorpion' on with the addition of seven of nine. (i am NOT a guy, so not for the reason you might be thinking! :D i simply think the character allowed for the development of more interesting episodes.)

'Year of Hell', although it is a "reset" episode, it featured some of the best acting and special effects ever seen in Trek. The scenes with Janeway on her obliverated bridge telling the crew that Voyager as a ship was "part of the family" was entirely emotional, as was Tuvok giving her a soft and loving hug (a very hard thing for a Vulcan to do). I found the episode had a whole 'shakesperian' feel to it.. especially the scenes between Chatokay and Annorax.. Only time can pronounce judgement on me!

'Scorpion' I must admit, for me was a very weak and flawed episode, especially Janeway's reasoning for helping a known enemy of the Federation and helping a race guilty of murdering millions kill another race.. it was completely atrocious behaviour for a Starfleet Captain, and her actions were very selfish.

I much prefer it's "sequel", 'The Gift'.

Can someone refresh my memory on what Scorpian was about? I remember the year from hell when they were in the time loops.

'Scorpion' was the episode that introduced Seven of Nine, when Janeway made a deal with the Borg, to help them defeat species 8472 if Voyager could pass through Borg space.

I thought they dropped the ball with Scorpion and especially so in later continuity. The idea of 'helping' the Borg because the species 8479 were the greater threat was a bit much really consider past Borg/Federation entanglements. Also a child could have guessed that the Borg 'started' the conflict so that came as no shock whatsoever when it was revealed and the subsequent episodes with species 8479 (posing as Starfleet Academy no less) jars massively with their "Your whole universe will be purified" statement. The only positive from the two-parter was the sight of 3 Borg cubes running away from a single Scorpion ship and the plot extension of 'rehabilitating' a Borg from the collective which took the whole Locutus thing much further than TNG was able/willing to do.

Year of Hell I didn't mind quite so much but again it felt very contrived. You wouldn't be able to convince cultures that they'd been altered by a "time ship" without being labelled a looney, especially if they'd never met you before. However, I enjoyed it more than Scorpion because I'm a sucker for time travel stories, even if they do contradict themselves.

I'd say "Scorpion" was better. It showed how desperate people will be. Especially if you face assimilation.

I thought they dropped the ball with Scorpion and especially so in later continuity. The idea of 'helping' the Borg because the species 8479 were the greater threat was a bit much really consider past Borg/Federation entanglements. Also a child could have guessed that the Borg 'started' the conflict so that came as no shock whatsoever when it was revealed and the subsequent episodes with species 8479 (posing as Starfleet Academy no less) jars massively with their "Your whole universe will be purified" statement. The only positive from the two-parter was the sight of 3 Borg cubes running away from a single Scorpion ship and the plot extension of 'rehabilitating' a Borg from the collective which took the whole Locutus thing much further than TNG was able/willing to do.

Year of Hell I didn't mind quite so much but again it felt very contrived. You wouldn't be able to convince cultures that they'd been altered by a "time ship" without being labelled a looney, especially if they'd never met you before. However, I enjoyed it more than Scorpion because I'm a sucker for time travel stories, even if they do contradict themselves.

It's species 8472, just to clear that up.

I still think 'Scorpion' was a bit daft. Surely the greater good would have been to allow the Borg to be destroyed (whether that meant Voyager's destruction or not) and therefore think that any Starfleet officer in that position would have allowed just that to happen. Bargaining with Borg just wouldn't happen; at that time they were THE enemy. The whole story seems purely a device to get Seven on board.

Back