5.06: Rite of Passage

skydiver

Trivia Goddess
all i know for sure is that it's a sam/cassie/janet eps and cassie is going to be played by ally (the girl in bane)

won't be the same without that cassie actress ( i wonder what she was doing to make her unavaliable - and if you day skool, thats just an excuse)

she was filming a movie and because of the impending strike at teh time they didn't want to wait and possibly lose the episode so they recast her

which i is glad at, but it'd be a bit weird with ally............

Ah, sigh, Original Cassie, you will be sorely missed. Katie did a good job--but then, so did the other girl. i only hope she can live up to it.

The Rite of Passage

**SPOLIER***
Cassandra begins to have attacks of uncontrollable telekinesis, and her health deteriorates rapidly. So, SG-1 travels back to her home world, trying to find something that could help her.

You've probably already heard about this ep., but I have just heard some interesting info to go with it. The intersting info is that Colleen Rennison (who played Ally in "Bane") will be playing the role of Cassandra, due to the fact that Katie Stuart has other commitments.

I think that's kinda cool. I really liked her in Bane.The question is, will her hair be red? :lol:

actors

That can be one of the problem with an ongoing series with occosional regulars. Sometimes they're not available for filming. Would have liked to seen 'Cassie', but let's see what happens.

I am so glad that the writers are getting back to some of the characters that stayed on earth. I am sorry that the original Cassie isn't back, but at least they are going to show her and Marty...now if Nyan would show up....

outlying characters

You're right, JSC. We get to meet these folks. they become important enough to get to know or come back to the SGC and then we never see them again.

Bummer.:(

Cassie in Rites Of Passage!

I am a HUGE fan of Katie Stuart. She's so damn good in everything, including The Magician's House and The Crow! When I get back home from lifeguarding, I always watch her if she's on!

I usually record it. It won't be as good without her.

:mad: :mad: :( :(

I agree that it's a huge shame they couldn't get Katie Stuart back to play Cassandra, but I've seen Colleen Rennison in a couple of things and she always seems to be pretty good. I think we should keep very open minds and give her a chance... then mercilessly compare her to Katie Stuart after the episode airs.

true i always liked katie and i hope she can come back. it will be confusing for ally to be cassie...but i did see colleen in poltergeist and she played a bad little girl. if cassie's gonna be a little naughty, colleen will do an excellent job.

then agian i'm also totally thrilled to get a janet/cassie/sam episode too

and if they're anything like enemies and threshold it's gonna be great

Rite of Passage

OK, this was definitely a very dramatic episode, and it showed sides of Sam and Janet that haven't been seen for a long time. Thank you, producers and writers! Also, is it me? Or does Jack respond to most scientific questions with, "magnets."

P.S. Those of you who recorded the episode, take a second look at Daniel's reaction to Jack's explination of Cassandra's new ability. Actions speak louder than words. :rolly2:

Pretty good eppy

Yes, it was a touching episode, but a tad predictable. And so Jack is only pretending to not be smart? Oh yeah, I do that all the time lest I blow anyone away with my massive brain capacity and output.

Quiz of the day: Where have we heard this line before? -

"You're killing me!"

I haven't forgotten....:)
Ah, Daniel in trouble those were the days...

- Orange

[Really looking forward to Beast of Burden]

:cool:

did danny's little 'ill be there for you' in the hall look familiar? it's pretty much the same thing he said to sam a few years ago, in the same hall by the way.

anyone catch PdL? he was the person danny took something from in the very beginning.

loved cassie's 'he's not as dumb as he pretends' line...now if he'll just stop acting like a brain donor we got it made.

and i LOVED janet and the gun. you go girl! adn how hammy ended up backing her up. good job hammy!

i liked it. it was dramatic without being horribly sappy, and with the exception of jack's little 'it's magnets' (which did make sense that was the scary part) it was great acting.
loved jack's 'ill stay here, you've scared her off once already' line. great way to reassure a kid

and the tokra should be happy with them. they didn't kill another goauld.

beast of burden next week for all you danny fans!

one nit. why the blue blazes didn't they TRY the hand device with sam? i mean they got that nifty tool, why don't they use it?

I think the best part of the episode was Jack's arguement to make the deal with Nurti. And Daniel looking thoughtful followed by an "I agree".

Definetely a better Jack episode.

Although I think the real best line was Hammond's.

"I might point out that this woman is Cassandra's mother."

Since Janet is one of my favorite characters, I'm glad she got a bigger role in this ep. But i was kind of disapointed, though i can't really put my finger on the 'why'.

I did enjoy that little staring contest between Jack and Nurti towards the end, and Jack's rally for Cassandra's rights.

if my daughter was in danger and someone was capable of saving her and didn't, i don't think i'd have hesitated to pull a gun on them either. but Janet is also military and would be in soo much trouble. i'm glad they allowed her to be human, but still...

oh, and one more thing. After Show and Tell, didn't Sam say that they were going to attach those T.E.R thingies in the gateroom to prevent Rheetou attacks? If not, why not? And if so, why didn't they catch Nurti?

just some thoughts

Guys, I may get my head in my hands for saying this, especially since most people these forums love the show and hate it to be criticised. And I will say from the outset, that although the characters of SG1 have become irritating and too perfect for my liking, they weren't like that to begin with. They have evolved into something else other than what I think the original concept meant them to be. Whether this is due to the influence of the writers taking a different thrust for the show, or the producers paying lip service to the general viewing public and their rather surface desires in a tv show, or even whether it's because the fans have latched onto the character to such a degree that they are demanding more and more background to them, I have no idea. Maybe it's a combination of all of it.

Personally I think that the show's production team cop out when they have a mainly SGC based episode, even when it involves a Goa'uld. I think that the things which are missing are the atmosphere, menace and ambience promised in the movie and the first two seasons. I strongly feel that when the second season came to an end, the producers, networks whatever, realised that they could have a rather commercially viable fairly long running show if they only gave it a little less of the horrific danger, i.e. dampen down the Goa'uld as an enemy, which they have done rather effectively, give it a little more of that intimate interest, i.e. flesh out the characters, give it some action but not enough to upset those who want to see Jack & Co as real human beings and not as a military team and toss in a hint of romance between those characters.

Please don't all yell at me and tell me that the show had to evolve and that the character development had to happen so that we the viewer could see that they were a caring sharing team who prevailed against this enemy because they 'always go back for their guys.' which is, in fact, not strictly accurate. You go back for your guys if you're allowed to do so, given the opportunity and permission from higher up, unless of course you can do it at the time. I am not saying that you shouldn't have all of the above in the show, but not at the total expense of the original concept.

Anyway getting back to Cassandra and the episode. Nirrti, the bad Goa'uld, who strikes me as sneaky, petulant and sulky rather than highly dangerous or a big and bad, was a sop to those fans who are wondering where the enemy went. Except she was a rather unfortunate choice, because to be honest, she's a pretty pathetic sort of character. If I had been Hammond, I'd have just told her we would let her go, let her help Cassandra and then said 'sorry mate, I lied.'

Now you will all tell me that humans and the SGC have more honour than that. and I have one word to say to that......

Bulls***t....

If you all seriously think that Hammond would be allowed to make a trade like that by the PTB against the safety of earth, you had better think again. In fact, he wouldn't have BEEN allowed to use the resources and facilities of the SGC to just help one kid, even if she was the daugher of the doctor or any member of SGC.

Families are considered to be peripheral and unwanted baggage by the military in general, despite them making all sorts of allowances for them (like housing etc.). If the military WANTED you to have a family, they'd have issued you with one when you enlisted! So Cassandra would have been considered a casualty of war and expendable and Nirrti would have been a prize catch, there is no bloody way they should have let the lady out of their sight, and Janet would have been severely reprimanded and possibly posted out for doing what she did. The only mitigating factors as far as she would be concerned was the fact that she was a mother.

Nirrti was weak in the Fair Game episode and the writers did nothing to boost her badness up in this episode apart from cut her hair, change her makeup and put her in a Ninja outfit. She was about as scary as my grandma, in fact my grandma could have kicked the sh*t out of her, so could my grandson. So could I for that matter.

Cassandra was a dubious sort of asset to the show, yay, another sulky teenager a la the Prodigy. Boy they'd have made a good team together.

I still would like to see them get away from this constant 'look how caring we are to each other, look how honourable we are as a species, look how humorous Jack and Daniel are with each other again, look how autonomous we are as a unit' crap and actually start putting back into the show what is so appallingly and obviously deficient.

The atmosphere, the ambience, the mystery of this enemy who have ben turned into de-clawed fluffy little kittens, frollicking about pretending to be bad-as**es.

Having said all of this, the show continues to have a high standard of performances from its actors, which is frustrating for me, because I just keep thinking that if they can act as well as they do in these de-clawed cutsie pie little episodes, they would rock in an episode that they could get their teeth into.

So please don't take this as a wholly severe criticism. I just happen to believe that the show is capable of so much more than it is providing, and that's why I continue to watch, in the hopes that someone, anyone, will wake up and do something about it.

Perhaps because I don't have such a fanatical love for every aspect of the show OR the main characters, makes me able to see it from a different and perhaps more objective POV.

:cool: