Elenium and Tamuli series (David Eddings)

Vera

Peaceful Explorer
The Diamond Throne (first volume of Elenium serie) was the first book of David Eddings I've read and I was hooked since the beginning. Love the main characters Pandion knight Sparhawk and queen Ehlana.
The Elenium serie consists of three volumes:
1. The Diamond Throne
2. The Ruby Knight
3. The Sapphire Rose.
You can find a very good summary here (better then if I try to make a summary ).
http://cellwall.stanford.edu/todd/elenium.html
The Tamuli trilogy is a sequel to Elenium.
1. Domes of Fire
2. The Shining Ones
3. The Hidden City
Summary is here:
http://cellwall.stanford.edu/todd/tamuli.html

I recently dug this series out again to re-read, and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. It may not be as convoluted or dark as some fantasy books, but it's good humoured and there are enough differences between the Belgariad/Malloreon series to make it interesting to me.

ahhh.. this is really the best books of dave.... they really got everything=)...
especially the shining ones

i gotta agree with Miculus! these books are brilliant. Well written, funny at times, and i loved the whole stratagey thing!

I completely agree. Kalten makes the Elenium/Tamuli series for me. Especially when he goes to comfort Sephrenia after Zalasta's betrayal. Using "Elene magic" to kick the door down was inspired! And then smothering her with sincerity, as she'd suspect everyone else of ulterior motives. I love that scene.:)

And when he found Ehlana and Alean. Like ehlana said sparhawk would come in blazing sword and bhelliom one hand and ultmately lose everything. Wheras Kalten calmy let them know he got the message and let them know Bevier and Caalador is with him. Really complete character and the comic relief all in one.

I enjoyed Diamond Throne even it it lacked in action. Not too complex a plot and the ending is obviously left way open for the sequels to complete. Will definitley read the rest of the series to see what happens.

I enjoyed Diamond Throne even it it lacked in action. Not too complex a plot and the ending is obviously left way open for the sequels to complete. Will definitley read the rest of the series to see what happens.

I gave up on this series at the beginning of the Tamuli. The characters were having the same conversation on the road to Tamuli that had happened all through the Elenium (and the Malloreon, and the Belgariad). I found the Elenium disappointing because of the way it started. It appeared, at first, gritty and real, and the hero not a shining night, but one tough *******. Sparhawk showed so much promise, so much potential depth, and then it all just withered on the vine, into the same stuff I'd read before.

When the series first came out, I thought it was very good. Really enjoyed the way the characters were portrayed, the plot seemed well thought out and I didn't notice that there were parts similar to some already written. I think I was quite new to reading Fantasy at that time.

I still re-read them, for easy relaxing reading now and still enjoy them!

I came to The Elenium after reading The Belgariad and it's my favourite work by Eddings. The Diamond Throne I particularly liked, with Sparhawk spending the whole book on a quest that took him back to where he started at the beginning of the book. The next 2 books didn't disappoint with highlights -for me- being the election in book 2 and the final confrontation with Azash in book 3.

I started The Tamuli with high hopes and really enjoyed the first two books - Eddings at his best I thought. But then came The Hidden City and Eddings worst flaw reared it's ugly head once again - making his characters far too powerful. How I wish the Bhelliom had not had self awareness and it's own special enemy, a step too far.

I still reread these books often and enjoy them but how I wish Eddings had known when to say enough.

i love these books, i think i would prefer the Belgariad and Mallorean series though (possibly because they were the first of his that i ever read)

I came to The Elenium after reading The Belgariad and it's my favourite work by Eddings. The Diamond Throne I particularly liked, with Sparhawk spending the whole book on a quest that took him back to where he started at the beginning of the book. The next 2 books didn't disappoint with highlights -for me- being the election in book 2 and the final confrontation with Azash in book 3.

I started The Tamuli with high hopes and really enjoyed the first two books - Eddings at his best I thought. But then came The Hidden City and Eddings worst flaw reared it's ugly head once again - making his characters far too powerful. How I wish the Bhelliom had not had self awareness and it's own special enemy, a step too far.

I still reread these books often and enjoy them but how I wish Eddings had known when to say enough.

hear hear. Belgariad and mallorean were good in the sense the characters themselves discussed the repititions. a conscious decision on the Eddings' parts. the Elenium was a great series. some similar characters, but others that were fun. yeah Kalten was great for nice simple comic relief, but I thought Faran was a lot of fun too. get into the Tamuli, and ugh. characters are changed...... Berit frolicking with a married woman? What The?!?!?!?!?!?!?! the whole series was forced. They may not have called it quits, but I did. I'll reread Belgariad, Mallorean, Belgarath, and the Elenium, but no others....