Help me find the name of this 1970s book, please

bluelake

I read this book in the early to mid 1970s, and it may have been at a teen reading level or a regular adult novel.

In the first chapter, an older man and a woman got to an escape pod to flee a spaceship that was going down. A third, younger man came to the pod and then teleported into the pod, surprising the other two, and they escaped to a planet below.

I think they had to keep their identities a secret on the planet they landed on, and I remember the population there had these poisonous needle guns. Each of our three heroes had a power of some kind -- the young man could teleport, the girl might have been able to read minds or something.

I remember that the young man was opposed to being thought of as a hero and went to lengths to appear like he wasn't, though he did come through in the end. He may have died then from one of those needle guns.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-- John

Sorry, John. I thought I knew quite a bit of the 1970s sf, but this one isn't ringing any bells at the moment. I hope someone else here will be able to provide you with the information...

Meanwhile, welcome to the Chronicles... Come in and browse....