Who's your favourite movie robot?

Paige Turner

Just another busted robot
I know the meaning of life, but I can't tell you
I've always had a big fascination for robots. When playing "Supersonic Outer Space Astronauts" as children, I always wanted to be the robot.

My favourite movie robot is Hector from the not-particularly-good Saturn 3, starring Kirk Douglas, Harvey Keitel and Farrah Fawcett.

edit: I ask because an overlooked movie with a great robot could inspire me to pick it up at the local Videodrome and take a look.

Tough question for me, Paigie. If I absolutely had to choose, I think I'd probably go for the "Ultimate Futura" from Metropolis. That is one of the neatest robots I've ever seen, with its blending of the organic and expressionist look, making it look very like some bizarre futuristic idea of the undead -- quite intentionally, I would imagine.

But there are so many great robots and I, too, have a love of the things (fostered, no doubt, by reading I, Robot when I was 6...).

I have a few fave robots,

The scutters from Red Dwarf, they are so kewel, especially when they don the wigs and try to escape with the crew as part of the Dibley family! lol.:D

Data has to be number one fave, he is everything a android should be immensely intelligent and handy to have around in any situation.

I like R2D2 too, and K9 from Dr Who, I have always wanted a robotic dg after seeing him.
:)

I'm tempted to say Cherry 2000, but that's a bit of a cheat since she didn't exactly look like a robot.

Does TV count?

If it does, it has to be Marvin [SIZE=-1]the Paranoid Android [/SIZE]from HGTTG, though Kryten from Red Dwarf runs him a close second.

The robot from Lost In Space (the series, not the film) get's an honourable mention. And Bender of course.

If it must be from a film, then I'd go with the very scary Yul Brynner cowboy robot from Westworld.

Edit: I completely forgot about Hewey, Dewey and Lewey (I've no idea if I spelled those right) from Silent Running.

The little fixer robots on farscape. i know how silly that is, but they are so darn cute. I want one!

There's no contest. It has to be Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet...

Robbie.JPG

Robbie Rocks!

If it has to be from movies only, the I second Huey, Dewey, and Louie from Silent Running, with C3P0 a close second.

But if television counts, by far my favorite is Robot from Lost in Space (as Snowdog said, the series, not the movie).

For sentimental reasons, I would have gone with Robbie -- and it is a neat design (though I understand the man inside that outfit had some troubles navigating -- especially when drunk). But aesthetically speaking, I just find the Ultima Futura to be rather awesome -- and it has remained an iconographic image since the 1920s.... So I'll stand by my choice, though it was by no means an easy one to make.

My favourite movie robot is Mecha-Godzilla or if I really want to take the mickey, Optimus Prime from Transformers the Movie ("One shall stand, and one shall fall!") but they're probably both a bit of a cheat as one is a cartoon and one is a robot version of Godzilla. :)

Scariest movie robot for me was Maximillian from Disney's "The Black Hole" - those razors which came out of his hands were pretty scary as a young kid :)

Most rubbish robot surely has to be Robin William's Bicentennial Man.

Honourable TV mention:
Cylons from Battlestar Galactica
Twike from Buck Rogers
Nono from Ulysses 31

Winters_Sorrow said:
Twike from Buck Rogers

If there's such a crime as roboticide, then I would have committed it if I could have got my hands on that annoying little pest, going "bidi bidi bidi" all the time!

Snowdog said:
If there's such a crime as roboticide, then I would have committed it if I could have got my hands on that annoying little pest, going "bidi bidi bidi" all the time!
Yeah. Heck of a role for the great Mel Blanc, wasn't it?

steve12553 said:
Anything with Mel Blanc is a classic. Look how bad the Warner Brothers' Looney Tunes got after he passed away.
Oh, indeed. Wasn't his son doing a lot of the work then?

dustinzgirl said:
The little fixer robots on farscape. i know how silly that is, but they are so darn cute. I want one!

Yeah! Same for me. Esp. One Eye and 1312. :)

Do replicants count?

Roy Batty from Blade Runner

"If only you could see what I have seen with your eyes."