So, who's your favourite character in the Gap?

Karsa Orlong

Unchained
For the few of you who've read it (everyone else is missing out so badly, they really are), who's your fave?

This is almost impossible for me, there are so many awesome characters to choose from. I really, really like Warden, he has a kind of presence about him which makes you hang on to every word, and a real underlying humanity. I think Hashi is absolutely brilliant, his sense of humour is unique and totally infectious, he's absolutely hilarious. Vector is one of the most likeable characters I've ever read about, I've rarely cared about anyone so much, and his sense of humour is outstanding too in a more restained way. Nick is an asshole, but he's one hell of an entertaining asshole. Angus is superbly realised and I truly admire Donaldson for that particular creation. I really can't choose!

For the few of you who've read it (everyone else is missing out so badly, they really are), who's your fave?

This is almost impossible for me, there are so many awesome characters to choose from. I really, really like Warden, he has a kind of presence about him which makes you hang on to every word, and a real underlying humanity. I think Hashi is absolutely brilliant, his sense of humour is unique and totally infectious, he's absolutely hilarious. Vector is one of the most likeable characters I've ever read about, I've rarely cared about anyone so much, and his sense of humour is outstanding too in a more restained way. Nick is an asshole, but he's one hell of an entertaining asshole. Angus is superbly realised and I truly admire Donaldson for that particular creation. I really can't choose!

I agree with you about Hashi Lebwohl being the best character. His last name means goodbye in German.

Best wishes,
Dirk

I'd probably also have to go with Hashi or Warden, and I will add that love the character names Donaldson came up with for the gap series.

Tough call. I find myself very fond of Angus, Davies, Hashi, Morn, Vector and Warden. All of the characters are very well drawn, though, and the psychology behind the villains is particularly well done. I actually found myself angry every time a chapter from Cleatus' perspective came up because I hated him so much.

One of the brilliant things about Donaldson characters is that you go through these great cycles of loving them and hating them.
Most of them (and especially Angus) are really complete b'stards until you understand their past, and they (Angus again) understand their potential.
Warden was the most consistently laudable, even when screwing the whole human race.
I gave up caring for Morn, somewhere in book 3.
Angus was the one I most wanted to triumph.
But for highest fun to exposure ration, I'm going for Holt's mother.

Kind of a tough choice. All the characters are so well drawn and all have such great motivations (even when they are mistaken in their motivations).

I think I have to go with Hashi. Though Nick is one of the most proactive characters I've ever read.