Lovecraftian Cinema

Andersson

With all the TV series that are being made these days why haven't anyone made one based on Lovecraft's writings? Is there some problem with the rights to the material (I think I read something about it but I can't remember)? Surely it would have enough name recognition to appeal to the general public.

Dulahan

Broken Hero
With all the TV series that are being made these days why haven't anyone made one based on Lovecraft's writings? Is there some problem with the rights to the material (I think I read something about it but I can't remember)? Surely it would have enough name recognition to appeal to the general public.
It's been a couple months since you posted this but I fully agree. Has anyone watched the first season of HBO's True Detective? I was all but convinced half-way-thru they were going 'Lovecraftian' with the hodo cultist and weird totems. Perhaps they were, but they bent the story arch to where it was almost kissing the 'cosmic horror' before righting the ship and ending up the season in reality. Still a fantastic season (season 2 not so much) but I would have liked a bit more LC.

MiskatonicFiles

Science fiction fantasy
Unfortunately, it's a pretty small niche, as I've discovered as a filmmaker trying to develop/promote a Lovecraftian series. I LOVED the aforementioned elements in S1 of True Detective, but it turns out we're a relatively small group of fans, in terms of cosmic horror.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Sorry if anyone else has mentioned it, but the James Spader film 'Supernova' is HEAVILY Lovecraftian
Now that you mention and now that I think about it. Your absolutely right. :):cool:

BAYLOR

The 1956 film X The Unknown has a bit lovecraft in it . The Crawling Chaos or a variation on it?

Caledfwlch

I am not a Geek, I am a Level 22 Warrior!
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Principality of Wales
Cloverfield kind of feels a little Lovecraftian to me, though I suppose Godzilla is the main/biggest inspiration.

Fantasy RPG PC Games often have very Lovecraft inspired elements, whether in their worlds mythology, a part of the plot, or in characters/deities.
In the Elder Scrolls world (games such as Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind are set in the ES world) for example, you have the Daedric Princes, who are kind of effectively Gods, though, Demon is perhaps a better description, they are incredibly powerful beings who reside in Oblivion, another plane, or a set of multiple planes of existence to the main reality/Plane - iirc, the Princes, are generally trapped/locked up in their individual planes (for various reasons, in the game Oblivion, portals to some of the Oblivion plains are opening up across Tamriel, and one of the Princes is attempting to enter "reality" if you like) but usually, they are heavily restricted, they cannot normally enter reality - they can watch us Mortals from afar, they can make small Nuisances of themselves but that is it, by operating through agents, cults that worship them and so on - Clavicus Vile, like most of them, for example can access/possess statues built to him in Shrines, but all he can do really when there is talk, he cannot make the statues move - his main "Agent" if you like, is a talking Dog called Barnabus, as Barnabus is to all effects and purposes a living dog, he just happens to be able to talk, he is able to travel around, and act as Clavicus' eyes and ears, but no more than that.

The most Lovecraftian influence I suspect is Hermaeus Mora, who is the daedric prince of fate, knowledge and memory.
His image feels very Lovecraft - you meet a Mage who is either a willing agent of Hermaeus, or Hermaeus has been whispering into his mind, to get him to do various things, and the poor guy is totally barking mad - that's what happens if you work for Hermaeus, willingly or not.
This is what he looks like.

Hermaeus_Mora_Concept_Art.jpg
hermaeus_mora__master_of_fate_by_spynder4-d67glna.jpg

KGeo777

I havent watched it, but the Shuttered Room 1967 is another (I see it is mentioned in the Lurker list).

ZlodeyVolk

The Lurker at the Keyboard
Even though this thread petered out in December last year, I'm yet surprised that nobody so far has mentioned Pickman's Muse (2010) (a mingling of "Pickman's Model" and "Dreams in the Witch-House"):

or The Void (2016):

BAYLOR

I havent watched it, but the Shuttered Room 1967 is another (I see it is mentioned in the Lurker list).
Ive seen this film and found it to be a disappointment , There is nothing remotely lovecraftin to it.