Forest Mage

jof

The good looking one :P
Has anyone else yet read this? I got it a couple of days ago and found it predictable, to the extremes, after the first mention of his 'problem' on perhaps page one i immediatley knew what was going on. Also i think the ending was pretty crud, whilst it was effective, it wasnt the ending that i would of liked.

Haven't read it yet but I had planned to get it soon, sad to hear it's not great :( I didn't enjoy Shamans Crossing that much to be honest, but I'll give forest mage a go anyway.

jof said:
Has anyone else yet read this? I got it a couple of days ago and found it predictable, to the extremes, after the first mention of his 'problem' on perhaps page one i immediatley knew what was going on. Also i think the ending was pretty crud, whilst it was effective, it wasnt the ending that i would of liked.

Yeah I've read it. It's not a bad book, but I'm also disappointed cause I was hoping for more. She took the story in an unusual, if not entirely unforseeable, direction. The underlying theme of the book though is not particularily novel and certainly did not need an entire book out of a three book series devoted to it. The scope of this series seems to be quite limited and personally I think she would need to do something pretty impressive in the last book to bring it home.

Sorry if that sounds dissapointing, but I'm sure everyone who reads it will have their own take on it.

I think all commendations for the ending, it was really effective and stoked up emotions :p. But i think that the 'main' section of the story if you get me, for instance the 'main' section of Shamans crossing was the plague, was very predictable. The main characters are portrayed excellently i think it was the plot that let it down.

Glad to see you back on the boards, having had a somewhat bumpy introduction process. I've not read this, so can't offer an opinion, but it's good to see new people willing to share their views. Never know when something will really catch even the most jaded appetites.

bought it ...havent read it yet...will soon :)
Until then jof I plan to expect hobb to produce the talent she has clearly shown on past occasions :)

Now I'm expecting some stick for this, but I'm halfway through Forest Mage, again not a lot of action.Again we are concentrating on Nevare and his anguish, but I'm hooked and really feel for him.Its not a spectacular series and not really that orginal,but I'm finding it more compelling and enjoyable than her other series.

I'm afraid this only confirms my belief that Hobb isn't what she's cracked up to be.

Still I'm glad there's some members who enjoy her work including my friend Teir...:)

:)
this set is ok... but even ill have to admit it isnt really great gollum

Nothing will ever compare to her six duchies sagas:D

Im gonna buy the third one though...just cos its by her, and i want to see what happens and finish/own the whole set *smile*

By far my favourite were the Assasin Trilogy. They just... WERE GREAT!

jof said:
Has anyone else yet read this?
I finished it a few days ago and it's haunting me rather unpleasantly. I didn't want to write about it for a while. It is a disturbing book with a nightmarish quality (it reminded me of dreams where my teeth start to fall out, to be honest!) and the whole thing with the Specks dragged on and on. There was *nothing* in this story to feel good about and the resolution seemed contrived to me. I'll read book three when it comes out, but only out of curiosity. I suppose I quite like Nevare (whereas I loved Fitz) but I don't particularly enjoy the quasi-American frontier setting of this series.

I just finished the book last week, and I have very mixed feelings about it. First-off, I did enjoy the frontier setting, because it was different than anything else I've read. It seems like most fantasy books are pretty much set in the greener parts of Europe. Not that I find fault with that, but it was nice to have a story that was not set in huge pine forests, high snowy mountains, or hedgerows. It had a different, more raw feel to it. And I liked as well that it really wasn't an "American" setting, unless you use the term loosely to encompass the Americas as a whole.
That being said, I spent the first half of the book literally yelling at Nevare to get out of the house and away from his loser family. I was convinced for some time that if he would just head to Bitter Springs and throw himself in the water, he'd stop being a plague victim.
As for the ending, well... it was very sad and not altogether satisfying, but I was relieved that I knew it wasn't final. I want to read more.

greylin said:
I finished it a few days ago and it's haunting me rather unpleasantly. I didn't want to write about it for a while. It is a disturbing book with a nightmarish quality (it reminded me of dreams where my teeth start to fall out, to be honest!) and the whole thing with the Specks dragged on and on. There was *nothing* in this story to feel good about and the resolution seemed contrived to me. I'll read book three when it comes out, but only out of curiosity. I suppose I quite like Nevare (whereas I loved Fitz) but I don't particularly enjoy the quasi-American frontier setting of this series.

***Caution! Here be (slight) spoilers****

Greylin pretty much summed it up for me, though I didn't have a problem with the plains setting.

Some have said this book is depressing, and I have to agree, but I think a better way to describe it is very disturbing. I was in a funk the whole time I was reading it, and even had a couple of nights of nightmares. Somehow this book affected me on a very deep level. I'm still trying to understand it.

I'm a huge fan of Hobb. Her characters feel very real and three dimensional, and her world building is just awesome. I wish she'd give us readers a happy ending once in a while, though. ;) As for FM being predictable, I think it was written to be like that. I think Hobb wanted us to feel a sense of inevitability throughout the whole book. Nevare did his best to fight against the magic, but the most he could do was nothing, if you know what I mean. He didn't have the power to act against it, the only thing he could do was pretend that it didn't exist or waffle. This makes for a rather static storyline, and a really passive character. I think she overdid it a little, and to a certain extent I think she shot herself in the foot, by making the story so grueling and so dark. It's not going to appeal to a lot of people.

My big question is: In the first book, what did all that conflict between the old nobles and the new nobles serve? Why was it included? I assume that a good author has a reason for including everything in a story, but I guess every auther is not necessarily Marcel Proust. I don't see any reason why Shaman's Crossing couldn't have been 1/3 shorter. Maybe it was a mistake, Hobb doesn't have to answer to editors anymore? Was it just for atmosphere? I think the point of the first book was to show us everything that Nevare had to lose in the second book, and to set up his character and why he is so passive. Why all the conflict between cadets? What do you all think?

Oh, it's my first post here. Nice to meet you!

Hi Mclimbin!!
I've just finished Forest Mage and I liked the ending, was actually crying when Nevare nearly got beaten to death and had to 'hypnotise' everyone. Esp. when Ebrooks was crying! It was so tragic! Can't wait til the next one.

Mouse said:
Hi Mclimbin!!
I've just finished Forest Mage and I liked the ending, was actually crying when Nevare nearly got beaten to death and had to 'hypnotise' everyone. Esp. when Ebrooks was crying! It was so tragic! Can't wait til the next one.
SPOILER
Thats what really annoyed me, Nevare's supposed death,she did the same thing to Fitz.Ok different setting, different circumstances, but two different series and her main character is dead to the rest of the world.Would have prefered something a little more orginal

--Spoilers here too--

(select text to see it, similar to Nixie's)

Aha, I see what you mean Nix. A faked death does seem to be something that Hobb uses a lot. How many times did Fitz fake a death?

Actually there are quite a few similarities between Nevare and Fitz. The most obvious is how passive they both were. Both of them seemed to just wait around until something happened to them. It was often exasperating as a reader.

One of the big differences between them, though, is that Nevare is really very social. Fitz's only real relationship was with Nighteyes, he pushed everyone else away. Nevare, on the other hand, loved his family and valued his friends and comrades, and was even happy to hang out with the other two gravediggers, even though they were not the kind of people he was brought up with. Because of this, being forced to cut off all ties with other Gernians was especially tragic, I think. More so than when Fitz had to fake his death(s).

Did you have any other ideas of how this all could have been resolved without a fake death? Just curious.