Gordianus the Finder

creslin_black

I would really highly recommend the series of books by Steven Saylor. Up to this point, I have yet to read a more accurate fictional representation of not only ancient Republican Rome, but also the more notable inhabitants who helped shape it into what it would become. The only series that really comes close is the SPQR series by John Maddox Roberts.

I've never read this series, but I'm in the midst of Lindsey Davis's Falco series, which I find thoroughly entertaining and very interesting. I think it's more humorous than Saylor's series (from what I've heard from others), so I think it's a matter of taste.

If you're looking more for humor than seriousness then you might look at John Maddox Robert's SPQR series. It's quite good, and it has plenty of humor in it as well.

Found this deep in the bowels of this sub-Forum. I read a Gordianus novel by Saylor a while back, and it was great. Think of Inspector Morse in pre-Caesar Republican Rome. Excellent historical detail, especially of the politics of the time, and a darn good mystery story to boot.

Anyone else enjoyed these books?

I was wondering about these books for historical detail. I wouldnt want to read historical mystery in great times like Rome era and find bad historical detail.

Is Saylor better than other with those details ?

I will read him cuz i dont like humour with my historical stories.

Connavar,

One of the women at another forum I hang out at loves Saylor's Roman era mysteries, and she tends to read novels that are good with the historical detail. So I'd have to say that he's probably very good with the historical detail.

You might also want to check out Michael Jecks' novels. She loves his work too.

I have only read the one, Catalina's Riddle, which featured largely on the political struggle between Cicero and Catalina (just prior to the events outlined in the HBO Rome series, which detailed Caesar's rise to power) to be elected Consul. The detail was excellent, and the reviews by papers like the Times, the New York Times, etc. all laud Saylor's ability to paint a vivid picture of Roman life. I felt like I was watching a Roman election. I think you'd enjoy it, Conn.

Though there were references in the book to the previous ones, the book did a good job of standing alone. Would have been a little better for me to have read the previous ones first, though.

Thanks guys i will get it now that i know more about Saylor's series.

Only reason i was wary was that some crime series tend to be very much of formula,not much more and you cant really trust popularity views. You have to know what a series is known,rated for.

I have read four of Saylor's Books. Roman Blood; Arms's of Nemesis; Catalina's Riddle and Murder on the Appian Way.

I have a great interest in history; and I found the quality of the novels remained consistent. You can read them in any order; but if read in the order published, I find the personal details go more smoothly---regarding Gordianus and his family.

Highly, highly recommended.

Bringing this one back to life --

I have read all of the Roma Sub Rosa books by Steven Saylor, and I love them! Gordianius is a great character as a detective, and the books bring life to stories and rumors from ancient Rome while keeping true to the details of history. I had fallen behind in the series and just got the last two as ebooks for my new reader, but I'll have to get the hardbacks to complete the series anyway.