Review: Pathfinder: Hollow Mountain

Overread

Searching for a flower
Pathfinder Hollow Mountain
Published by Dynamite
Written by James Sutter
Art by Tom Garcia

Pathfinder: Hollow Mountain #1 (of 6): Digital Exclusive Edition - Comics by comiXology: Web UK

291218._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

So the complete 6 issue series of the latest Pathfinder comic is out and done and I've been through it cover to cover. If you've ever read the old DnD comics or any of the preceding Pathfinder comics then you'll know what to expect. In fact if you've only a passing knowledge of DnD you'll know what's to come.
Adventures and adventure! Beasts and monsters and dungeons (actually this one really does have a dungeon - although no dragon in this one).

This is one of a series of Patherfinder comics (Pathfinder being an alternative DnD style RPG game) and like its preceding series it contains the adventures of a party as they quest through the world. The characters are well presented, each with their own quirks and charms and they grow and develop steadily through the series; thus if you're a newbie I'd heartily recommend heading back to read the first Patherfinder series (called Pathfinder) and its following series "Origins*" and then City of Secrets before the Hollow Mountain.
Whilst you can certainly start here the series are really meant to be read in order and reading them out of order means some twists and turns in the story that occur earlier will be spoilt and you won't get all of what is going on nor all the back-references.

The story and art are well presented and the story and pacing are well set. This is a series that knows its an adventuring story about adventurers and doesn't try to do anything else other than play to that tune. And it does so very well - one of the stronger series that Dynamite (publisher) puts out and well knitted together.
I'd heartily recommend the series and if you're already a fan I'd wonder why you're reading this and not already enjoying Hollow Mountain.

In addition to the great story each issue has a small game of Pathfinder in the back; character and quest and setup to play out as part of a campaign in Pathfinder; so if you're a gaming fan too you can get your group together for a game after reading the comic.

*Yes Origins comes later; mostly as its a recap of the history of a selection of characters that slots neatly into the narrative of the ongoing series.

Back