Best Arthurian Novel?

Favorites would be

* Merlin Trilogy- Stewart
* Warlord Trilogy- Cornwell
* Taliesin/Merlin-Lawhead
* Pendragon-Carmichael
* The Merlin Codex- Holdstock

I didn't care for TH White ( too whimsical and comical), Zimmer-Bradley ( way too feminist and no good male characters). Haven't read John Steinbeck's book which will be re-issued in a beautiful hardcover this month.

Would say that The Wicked Day is not as strong as the trilogy by Stewart ( which also applies to much of her other work). Also agree with a comment made above that Lawhead's harping about the Christian church really gets on most people's nerves, I've seen many people complain about that. It is at least bearable in the first two books, and they have lots of positive stuff going for them anyway, so I recommend them. Note that Lawhead's series is much more fantastical than Cornwell or even Stewart.

Carmichael's book is a very interesting book that most people probably haven't heard of but which is well-written and has a lot of Merlin in it in a strong portrayal. Also interesting twists on how the various tales of Lancelot, Tristan etc are usually portrayed.

Hold'stock's series has Merlin as a man who is nearly immortal and draws together the Greek and Celtic legends.

High Eight

Thomas Berger's 'The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights' is a good-natured send-up.

You're mixing two books up here. You have "Arthur Rex" by Berger and 'The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights' by John Steinbeck.

No Inspiration

My very favourite writing about the Arthurian story is actually in a book not about it at all. In GGK's Fionavar Tapestry, there is a peice involving it, and I just love it.

I loved that series as well and really liked the Arthurian angel ( which some people hated). What was it in particular that you liked?

Another good Arthurian-based series is the trilogy by Persia Woolley. The paperback versions of the books have kind of a bodice-ripper-romance novel look to them, but don't let that fool you, it's a very good series told more from a female perspective. They're more about Quinevere than they are about Arthur though.

The books in the series are:

Child of the Northern Spring
Queen of the Summer Stars
Quinevere: The Legend in Autumn

There's also an Arthurian-based series by H. Warner Munn that's very good. It takes place after the death of Arthur, and features Merlin, and his virtually immortal godson Gwalchmai.

King of the World's Edge
The Ship from Atlantis
Merlin's Ring
Merlin's Godson

Merlin's Godson is actually an omnibus that includes King of the World's Edge, and The Ship from Atlantis.

You'll also find an exhaustive list of Arthurian-based titles here:

Robert's ARTHURIAN Collection

Last edited:
It is years since I read it, but Gillian Bradshaw's trilogy was very good.

I just finished The Wicked Day ( 1983) by Mary Stewart, which is a straight sequel to the Merlin Trilogy, this time not in first person but third person, detailing Mordred's life. The review below has spoilers.

Merlin is not in this story at all, which I knew in advance yet still proved a glaring disappointment. Mordred here is, as is Stewart's tendency, far from a villain, in fact he is mostly sympathetic and the final outcome of the book is as much Arthur's fault as his.

It's a well-written book, Stewart has that great style of hers working full-time again here, but it is simply not as developed as The Trilogy, which is a masterpiece. The characters aren't as strong and the last 40 pages are a mess. In the afterword it becomes clear why. From the earliest moments Stewart had always intended for Mordred to be a villain because that is what he was known as in Arthurian Legend. That is why she had Myrddin prophecize that he would be the death of Arthur. Later on, as Stewart began to puzzle together what little was actually written by Monmouth and such about Medraut ( Mordred= Boy from the sea), she saw that she could not paint him as a villain. However she says that while extremely tempting, she did not feel she could rewrite the final battle at Camlann and thus we end of with a series of extremely silly misunderstandings and coincidences that lead towards the death of Arthur and Mordred.

It does not make a good ending though. Final rating: 7.75 out of 10.

High Eight

You're mixing two books up here. You have "Arthur Rex" by Berger and 'The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights' by John Steinbeck.

So I am. Thanks, Mith.

Speaking of Arthur, there's a nice little aside near the end of Keith Roberts' novel about the Romans leaving Britain, The Boat of Fate, where the hero writes about his Celtic bodyguard: "He is going back to Britain. He has even given himself a fancy new name: Artos. He says he's going to be a high king."

Just finished it The Warlord Trilogy by Cornwell. I thought it was absolutely phenomenal.

Spoilers to follow for those who have not finished the series!

I have an issue with how quickly he ended it though, it seems very out of keeping. Everything else in Derfel's life is described extensively, and by having the story be from Derfel's POV and ending it with the last battle at Camlann, he leaves out so much story which could easily have fitted into an epilogue. Were I his editor I would at least have advised to spend some time on tying that up properly. Too many questions unanswered. What happens to Guinevere, Galahad, Gwydre and the others on the boat for instance? Does Derfel ever meet them again? Where does he go to live with Ceinwyn and how many more years are they given? I understand that he wants to keep Arthur's final fate unknown, even though we can deduce from his never coming back that he did die, but the final chapter just doesn't seem right in how fast Cornwell goes about tying things up.

Other than that niggle about the unsatisfying ending, nothing but praise. Well almost. I thought the characterization was great, particulary for the secondary characters. He does a great job of building a big cast of characters in a way few authors can. Especially the group of Arthur's companions such as Sagramor, Culhwch, Galahad, Tristan. Derfel is the star of the show in this series rather than Arthur, whose portrayal I am ambivalent about. The same applies to Merlin, who has been portrayed better elsewhere ( Stewart). Merlin to me was too powerless, too vulgar. I understand he went for the Dark Merlin/Mad Merlin take but I don't think it fully worked, he is too diminished for my taste. Nimue was interesting, as was Guinevere. So many good enemies as well, Lancelot, the Saxons, Amhar and Loholt, Mordred, Nimue, the vicious twins Dinas and Lavaine that killed his daughter, so many weak men set off against strong ones, the story of Tristan and Iseult, the character of Gawain gets a completely different treatment,a great sense of melancholy for a lost reign. Wonderful how Cornwell gives us the story through the eyes of a man writing at the end of his life, excellent device. Actually a great romance between Derfel and Ceinwyn as well, touching.

His portrayal of magic in the story seems to shift at the end of the third book from how it has been portrayed up until that late point in the story however, and I found that quaint. After two and a half book of pretty much no magic and alternate explanations for everything that could be construed as magical, he does seem to want to make it plain at the end that there is some real magic being done.

Lancelot: one-dimensional. He's a total tool, bereft of good qualities, unlike Galahad who is his opposite and who Derfel calls his best friend.

The Saxons: not villains in the sense that they are just like the Britons, trying to gain land so continious flow of Saxons coming to the British shores can be accomodated. And enemy yes, but it depends on the POV. Nimue, the druid twins, Lancelot etc are more clearly defined as villains. Not to mention the guy that tries to kill Derfel so shcokingly at the Isle of the Dead.

Strange how Nimue turned out. From Merlin's best friend in youth to ally in maturity to cruel enemy at the end. Mordred was a truly terrible human being, rotten even as a boy.

Merlin's portrayal leaves too much to be desired here. As does Arthur's, who is lead around the nose too much by Guinevere in the first two books, something which is corrected in book 3. He is very human, but for me just a bit much and too flawed. Some of his decisions were just poor and as Derfel said, poor for all to see but Arthur.

Loved the companions. The bachelor Galahad, Christian knight of great prowess, coarse Culhwch, built like a bull, Derfel himsel with his marvellous life story, Sagramor the black demon. Tristan was a great character as was the brutal Lord Owain in book 1, I was sad to see him killed. Same for Aelle, Derfel's father.

In the end, a superb portrayal of Arthurian legends. The only Arthurian series that rivals it is the vastly different Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart. I've still yet to read Sword at Sunset though, which has no Merlin as I understand it. He puts a different hat on almost every character, and on many known events. He has great storytelling flair and displays great characterization abilities. He shows us battles, passion, romance and makes the Arthur story new to those had become tired of it.

9/10

I am a big fan of Arthurian novels, and I would rank Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy and Bernard Cornwall's Warlord trilogy at the top.

However, above both of them would be Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles. They're phenomenal. The sheer scope of the works is breath-taking. What I loved about it is that we essentially watch the entire birth of a micro-civilisation, and as a result, because of the focused locality of the narrative, you really felt that you knew the place and the characters. I would 100% agree with what Riselka said about how strongly you feel for not only characters, but other familiar features of the narrative.

You got a real sense of a group of people struggling to cling to civilisation in the face of descending chaos. Whyte's writing is shocking, honest, and confrontational. There are moments that easily shocked me as much as a certain notorious wedding in "A Song of Ice and Fire", even moreso because I felt much more strongly for the characters.

I really only have two criticisms of the entire scope of the sprawling epic.
1. I felt like "Uther" was very weak. Too much of the book was basically just a narrative summary instead of real scenes. I think that was a missed opportunity.
2. The religious hand-wringing got a bit much. Obviously Whyte wanted to explore some religious concepts, and Christianity was being ripped apart by theological division at the time, and I appreciate that it was great to see a historical novel that actually gave religion the importance that it really had in the past, but at the same time I'm not religious, I hate religion, and it got a bit difficult reading page after page of religious debate between characters.

Having said that, given how good the series was, these are, on balance, really minor criticisms. Incidentally, I would probably credit Whyte and Cornwall, more than anyone, as the writers that took me in a more historical direction. I write fantasy, but it has gone more from classic fantasy to essentially historic fiction that happens to be set in a fictional world. It was the influence of these writers, and my admiration for their work, which sent me that way.

Thanks to Gumboot for bringing this back up. Loved T.H. White and Mary Stewart but reading about all these others has me thinking I may need to add a few to my already totally over the top waiting to be read pile (which is actually a 5 shelf bookcase with significant overflow). :eek:

I think Steinbeck's Acts of King Arthur is probably the best fantasy novel ever written, with the possible exception of Titus Groan. No sub-Tolkien stuff, no soap opera: it's grown-up without feeling the need to shock or mope about how hard life is, extremely well-written, thought-provoking, well-characterised and just really good. Even the notes after the text are interesting.

My suggestion: make sure that you read the Caxton edition of the Morte d'Arthur, as Mallory's Works gets mind-numbingly dull with the lists of jousts. This is one of the very rare times I agree with an abridgement of the writer's original.

I just ran across this thread. The way I teach Malory: I use the Oxford World's Classics edition of the Winchester Manuscript, skipping the tedious stuff about Arthur's war with Rome and (I confess) the Tristram material. I end up with about 3/5 of the book. More specifically, in this edition:

[FONT=&quot]3-80; first paragraph on 95, 118-119, middle of 167 (Gareth and Lancelot); 281-527 (351-372 skimmed).[/FONT]

I will post some study notes to this edition.

Malory notes 1.

[FONT=&quot]§ How Uther Pendragon begot the Noble Conqueror King Arthur (pp. 3-32)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.What major concerns of this whole section already show themselves in the first two paragraphs on page 3? As you begin to read, jot a list of what you think these concerns might be. After you have finished this section, see if your surmises were confirmed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.Merlin is one of the principal characters, perhaps the principal character, in this section. What observations can you make about him? Is Malory’s Merlin different from the idea of Merlin that you had before you read this section?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.Your book contains a Glossary of Recurrent Words on pp. xxxii-iii. A word not listed there is wite, “blame.” How does the issue of who’s to blame come up in this section? In what way is a question of blame different from a question of guilt?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.This section of the Morte depicts Great Britain (present-day England, Wales, and Scotland) as the location of numerous small realms ruled by kings whose armies might include at most only a few thousand men. In what ways do the issues and conflicts that arise, arise largely because of this situation?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5.For those of noble birth, at least, the circumstances of one’s begetting and birth are important. What is the ambiguity about Arthur’s legitimacy? Page 6 records Uther’s disposal of his stepdaughters, Morgause, Elaine, and Morgan. (When Malory refers to Morgan as “the third sister,” he means Arthur’s third half-sister; on p. 68 Arthur is referred to as her brother, etc.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6.Are there any characters who are not of noble birth in this section of the Morte?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7.We will have many more opportunities, as we read the Morte, to develop a picture of the ideal knight, but from this section alone, what qualities seem to you to characterize an exemplary knight?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8.Note the behavior of the opponents towards one another on page 18. Is there anything about it that differs from what you might have expected before you began to read Malory?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9.Trace the themes of deception and questions of identity in this section. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10.Assess the character of Arthur as seen so far in the Morte. In what ways is he an exemplary person and king? [/FONT]

Malory notes 2.

[FONT=&quot]§ The Tale of Balin and Balan (pp. 33-49)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This section is a tragedy. What catastrophes occur – and why do they occur?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.Why might Balin find it very difficult to return the lady’s sword?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.Does Malory make it possible for the reader to decide between the two differing views (Balin’s, Arthur’s) of the Lady of the Lake?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.What action of Arthur’s has prompted King Lot’s hostility?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.What conflict of loyalties or responsibilities is evident on p. 41?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5.In this section and as you read the whole Morte, watch for the theme of treachery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6.Does Malory report people’s thoughts? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ The Wedding of King Arthur (pp. 50-57)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.Despite a title that suggests celebration, this section deals mostly with the man’s world of knightly combat and not with love or marriage. While recognizing this, do take note of whatever there is that does relate to love and marriage.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2.What object does Malory focus on in this section?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.What factors do you see in this section that might cause Arthur’s knights’ fellowship to come to grief?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.What principles of chivalry are stated or clearly implied in this section? Note: Try not to read back into the text any ideas that aren’t really there but that might have appeared more recently in history.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A pause to take stock[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Having read this far, you’ve been introduced to quite a few of the major characters of the Morte. Think about the way Malory writes such material:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]accounts of violence[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]incidents involving the supernatural[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]references to love between men and women[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]happenings that foreshadow future occurrences[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]indications of religious life[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Malory notes 3.

[FONT=&quot]§ Of Nenive and Morgan le Fay (pp. 58-81)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.The title of this section was supplied by the editor. Do you think that Helen Cooper’s decision to name this section after two women characters was helpful?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. In The Flower of Kings, J. D. Merriman says that William Caxton’s 1485 edition of Malory’s Morte “has been the seminal source of nearly every worthwhile subsequent artistic treatment of the legend in English.” However, scholars debate whether readers should think that Malory thought he was writing one book, or eight books, or many tales. C. S. Lewis (in “The English Prose Morte”) says that modern readers should not read back, into our late medieval author and book, assumptions that arose after their time. To summarize Lewis’s point in his own words: “I do not for a moment believe that Malory had any intention either of writing a single ‘work’ or of writing many ‘works’ as we should understand the expressions. He was telling us about Arthur and the knights.” There is unity – “his matter was one – the same king, the same court.” But there also was multiplicity because “they had many adventures.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The book you’re reading is called Le Morte Darthur, The Death of Arthur, but this title is derived from what printer William Caxton put at the end of his edition of Malory’s writing(s). Caxton might or might not have taken it from something written by Malory. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The point is this: as modern readers, we are accustomed to novels with titles, chosen by their authors, that help us to see the unity of the book; but this wasn’t the case with Malory’s writing(s) about Arthur, the Round Table knights, etc. Thus, as you read this modern edition of Malory, feel free to consider other titles that might make sense for it. With reference to this § and the rest of the book, how about a title such as The Fall of the House of Tintagel? On Arthur’s mother’s side, he is part of the family that includes Morgan le Fay, Morgause (see pp. 21, 31, 40!), and Elaine. Malory’s concise style makes it easy for us to miss the fact that tremendous conflicts have been generated by the “irregularities” in this clan. At the end of the story, neither Arthur nor his half-sisters supply an heir to the throne; the new king is Constantine, the son of Sir Cador of Cornwall (see pp. 85-6); the immediate former royal household has destroyed itself.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.Malory’s Morte is one of the world’s best-known literary works in which there is plenty of magic and enchantment, and these are abundant in this section. How would you characterize Malorean fantasy thus far?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4.On page 66, what principles of chivalry are stated?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5.Page 68: Recognition is a recurrent literary device in the Morte.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6.Page 69: By what principles is Arthur acting?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7.Page 74: Evaluate the basis for Gawain’s decision.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8.On pp. 74-80, Malory provides a tale of courtly love – not his only one, certainly. Dr. L. Kip Wheeler posted the following discussion of courtly love:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Barbara Tuchman offers a fairly concise discussion of courtly love in her book [FONT=&quot]A Distant Mirror[/FONT]. While much of the book should be used with caution as a guide to the fourteenth century, her words below do capture the essence of courtly love quite nicely: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"If tournaments were an acting-out of chivalry, courtly love was its dreamland. Courtly love was understood by its contemporaries to be love for its own sake, romantic love, true love, physical love, unassociated with property or family . . . focused on another man's wife, since only such an illicit liaison could have no other aim but love alone. . . . As formulated by chivalry, romance was pictured as extra-marital because love was considered irrelevant to marriage, was indeed discouraged in order not to get in the way of dynastic arrangements.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"As its justification, courtly love was considered to ennoble a man, to improve him in every way. It would make him concerned to show an example of goodness, to do his utmost to preserve honor, never letting dishonor touch himself or the lady he loved. On a lower scale, it would lead him to keep his teeth and nails clean, his clothes rich and well groomed, his conversation witty and amusing, his manners courteous to all, curbing arrogance and coarseness, never brawling in a lady's presence. Above all, it would make him more valiant, more preux; that was the basic premise. He would be inspired to greater prowess, would win more victories in tournaments, rise above himself in courage and daring, become, as Froissart said, 'worth two men.' Guided by this theory, woman's status improved, less for her own sake than as the inspirer of male glory, a higher function than being merely a sexual object, a breeder of children, or a conveyor of property.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The chivalric love affair moved from worship through declaration of passionate devotion, virtuous rejection by the lady, renewed wooing with oaths of eternal fealty, moans of approaching death from unsatisfied desire, heroic deeds of valor which won the lady's heart by prowess, [very rarely] consummation of the secret love, followed by endless adventures and subterfuges to a tragic denouement. . . . It remained artificial, a literary convention, a fantasy . . . more for purposes of discussion than for every day practice." (66-68)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The phrase "courtly love" is a modern scholarly term to refer to the idea espoused in medieval French as "Fin Amour." This phenomenon is a cultural trope in the late twelfth-century, or possibly a literary convention that captured popular imagination. Courtly love refers to a code of behavior that gave rise to modern ideas of chivalrous romance. The term itself was popularized by C. S. Lewis' and Gaston Paris' scholarly studies, but its historical existence remains contested in critical circles. The conventions of courtly love are that a knight of noble blood would adore and worship a young noble-woman from afar, seeking to protect her honor and win her favor by valorous deeds. He typically falls ill with love-sickness, while the woman chastely or scornfully rejects or refuses his advances in public, but privately encourages him. Courtly love was associated with (A) nobility, since no peasants can engage in "fine love"; (B) secrecy; (C) adultery, since often the one or both participants were married to another noble or trapped in an unloving marriage; and (D) paradoxically with chastity, since the passion could never be consummated due to social circumstances, thus it was a "higher love" unsullied by selfish carnal desires.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]An example of this attitude is found in Castiglione's [FONT=&quot]The Courtier[/FONT], which presents a Renaissance outlook on this medieval ideal:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I hold that a gentleman of worth, who is in love, ought to be sincere and truthful in this [labor] as in all other things; and it if it is true that to betray an enemy is baseness and a most abominable wrong, think how much more grave the offense ought to be considered when done to one whom we love. And I believe that every gentle lover endures so many toils, so many vigils, exposes himself to so many dangers, sheds so many tears, uses so many ways and means to please his lady love--not chiefly in order to possess her body, but to take the fortress of her mind and to break those hardest diamonds and melt that cold ice, which are often found in the tender breasts of women And this I believe is the true and sound pleasure and the goal aimed at by every noble heart. Certainly, if I were in love, I should wish rather to be sure that she whom I served returned my love from her heart and had given me her inner self--if I had no other satisfaction from her--than to take all pleasure with her against her will; for in such a case I should consider myself master merely of a lifeless body. Hence, those who pursue their desires by these tricks, which might perhaps rather be called treacheries than tricks, do wrong to others, nor do they gain that satisfaction withal which is sought in love if they possess the body without the will. I say the same of certain others who in their love make use of enchantments, charms, sometimes force, sometimes sleeping potions, and such things. And you must know that gifts do much to lessen the pleasures of love; for a man can suspect that he is not loved but that his lady makes a show of loving him in order to gain something by it. Hence, you see that the love of some great lady is prized because it seems that it cannot arise from any other source save that of real and true affection, nor is it to be thought that so great a lady would ever pretend to love an inferior if she did not really love him.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]--[FONT=&quot]The Book of the Courtier[/FONT], Book 2, Paragraph 94.[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Castiglione's writings originate in the early sixteenth and late fifteenth centuries, but they very much embody earlier ideals. In the late twelfth-century and early thirteenth-century, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Andreas Capellanus' Rules of Courtly Love [/FONT][FONT=&quot]provides a satirical guide to the endeavor by offering a set of hyperbolic and self-contradictory "rules" to this courtly game. Chretien de Troyes satirizes the conventions in his courtly literature as well. Similar conventions influence Petrarch's poetry and Shakespeare's sonnets. These sonnets often emphasize in particular the idea of "love from afar" and "unrequited love," and make use of imagery and wording common to the earlier French tradition.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Good sources might be C. S. Lewis' [FONT=&quot]Allegory of Love[/FONT], or a historical text such as Andreas Cappellanus' "Rules of Courtly Love," Ruiz's [FONT=&quot]Libro de Buen Amor[/FONT], or Castiglione's [FONT=&quot]Book of the Courtier[/FONT].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Assuming that the explanation of courtly love given above is accurate, do you think that Malory is a wholehearted adherent of this “cult”? This is a question to consider not only with reference to the story of Pelleas and Ettard, but as you read the entire book.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Obviously, courtly love as described above would be recognized as immoral by Christians. The medieval world, however, was nominally a Christian society. How, do you think, this secular “cult” could coexist (at least in the pages of books) with the norms of a nominally Christian society? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Merriman notes that a knight could find himself conflicted about his duties – “to his king as defined by the chivalric ideal and his duty to [his lady] as defined by the doctrines of courtly love.” Watch for the dramatization of this conflict later in the book.[/FONT]

Malory notes 4.

[FONT=&quot]About the 2/5 of the Morte that we are skipping[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We will not be reading this material: Malory’s account of King Arthur’s warfare on the European mainland, in which the Pope crowns Arthur as emperor; the story of Tristram, Isode, and her husband Mark; and much of the material about Lancelot. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Merriman quotes Vinaver as saying that Malory’s Arthur in the first tales of the Morte is “’the true embodiment of heroic chivalry … a political and military leader, conscious of his responsibility for the welfare and prestige of his kingdom.’” Merriman adds that Arthur is an “influence for the better on his knights.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Malory’s way of describing the adulterous love of Lancelot and Queen Guenivere seems to be something we can summarize thus: that early on, in the text we have, Lancelot denies that she is unfaithful to Arthur (90), but rumors persist (108, 115); Lancelot and Guenivere are spoken of along with Tristram and Isode, who certainly are lovers in the physical sense (201); the matter is brought to Arthur’s attention (204) but he does not want to think about it (245); a plot is developed that involves tricking Lancelot into thinking he is sleeping with Guenivere, which he seems to be used to doing (283). Lancelot eventually acknowledges to his confessor that he and a woman whom we know to be Guenivere have evidently kept up a public front of moral behavior for fourteen years (332); but Arthur has refused to deal conclusively with the matter. Perhaps there is more than one reason for that neglect. We certainly should discuss such possible reasons or motives. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It appears that Guenivere is barren, since Arthur (and Lancelot) father children by other women. The word “barren” is used advisedly. It is usually considered more kind today to say, “neutrally,” that a woman who cannot bear children is infertile. “Barren” is “politically incorrect.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the Bible, the childlessness of a woman married to a man who is able to father children could be attributed, by her, to God’s withholding of a blessing (Genesis 16:2), while the blessing of conceiving a child, at last, took away a woman’s “reproach among men” (Luke 1:25). God promises the blessing of fruitfulness to His people Israel if they are obedient (Exodus 23:26, Deuteronomy 7:14). Although I don’t find a Biblical passage that states outright that God would punish people by making the women infertile, Psalm 107:33-34 states that a “fruitful land” could be stricken with “barrenness [due to] the wickedness of them that dwell therein.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It would not be inappropriate for us to suppose that, as Guenivere’s love for Lancelot, and perhaps her husband’s toleration thereof, became matter of ongoing “buzz” in the Arthurian court, many people would suppose that her childlessness was a sign of God’s judgment. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Malory notes 5.

[FONT=&quot]Read the first paragraph on page 95 (Lancelot’s fame); pp. 118-119 (more on Lancelot’s fame); and the middle of p. 167 (chivalrous friendship – the Round Table – trumping clan loyalty).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Galahad, Sir Lancelot’s son, how he was begotten (pp. 281-292)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1.J. D. Merriman says that “Malory’s presentation of character is consistently dramatic,” that is, Malory doesn’t explain characters to the reader, he doesn’t interpret them as a rule; rather, he tells the reader what the characters say and do, and the alert reader must evaluate the characters accordingly. “This objective approach to character is but one aspect of a pervasive matter-of-factness in his treatment of the stories,” Merriman says. As you continue reading the Morte, observe how the chief knights and other persons of the story are differentiated from one another.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Page 282: Malory uses few similes. On this page you will encounter one that is unfamiliar today, though perhaps common in his day.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Page 283: Malory’s editor, Caxton, omits “for a season.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Page 288: C. S. Lewis says, in The Discarded Image (p. 206), that the literature of the Middle Ages is “unrivalled, till we reach quite modern times, in the sheet foreground fact, the ‘close-up,’’ and as examples he includes something Guenivere does on this page, and Malory’s “practical and financial detail” (see p. 303 of our text!).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Lancelot, that suffered and endured many sharp showers (pp. 293-303)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 299: Malory does not give us the detailed delineation of inner states that modern writers often do. However, he treats Lancelot as a round character, that is, as one having depth, complexity, the possibility of change, etc. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Page 303: We should discuss King Arthur’s remarks here about the cause of Lancelot’s madness.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Tristram and Sir Palomides (pp. 304-309)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Palomides is a Saracen, i.e. a Moslem.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Malory notes 6.

[FONT=&quot]§ THE NOBLE TALE OF THE SANGRAIL (pp. 310-320)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hermits and prophetic dreams begin to appear frequently![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Page 311: The chronological detail establishes our story as imagined as occurring in the final years of the sixth century AD.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Page 317: It’s interesting that the Feast of Pentecost of which we read here is characterized by awe-stricken muteness. The Pentecost described in the Biblical Acts of the Apostles is characterized by a miracle of speaking: members of a large and motley crowd hear the Gospel preached each in his own language by people who had not learned those languages. Moreover (p. 318), Arthur is grief-stricken by what happens.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Galahad (pp. 321-326)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This brief section is part of the “convergence” of Sir Galahad and the Grail.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Gawain (pp. 327-328)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There’s a vivid little bit of dialogue between Gawain and the hermit as this very brief section closes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Lancelot (pp. 329-334)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 331: Prime was one of the canonical hours. They are: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]matins, lauds, prime, terce or tierce, sext, none, vespers, complin or compline. Prime would occur around sunrise – about 6:00 a.m. Persons following a religious rule (priests, monks) employed prescribed devotional readings and prayers for these times.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Percival de Gales (pp. 335-345)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This section takes on a quality that we will encounter when we read Book 1 of Spenser’s Faerie Queene.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 335: The recluse is an anchoress. One of J. R. R. Tolkien's scholarly publications concerned the Ancrene Wisse, Guide for Anchoresses. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pages 336ff.: This King Evelake is also known as Mordrains. He is not the Maimed King of the Castle of Carbonek. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 339: A rare instance of Malory explicitly contrasting the Arthurian era with his own.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Lancelot (pp. 346-350)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Malory has shown the splendor of the way of the Round Table – the achievement of a fellowship of chivalric peers. The round shape of the Table suggests the world, and these knights were exemplars of a great worldly ideal of excellence. The round shape of the Table also suggests something more orderly, more stable, than the shapeless chaos of contending warrior-kings taking what they can grab. It forbade plain murder, theft, and rape. A knight should fight for others’ benefit (and his own fame) and not as a mercenary or a pillager. The code required courtesy, fair play, mercy to defeated opponents, loyalty to one’s peers and (in a way) one’s lord, etc. However, it also sanctioned courtly love. This could mean simply that one offered one’s feats of arms as tributes to a woman, possibly another man’s wife, without the intention of securing something from her other than her approval; but it could mean adultery. Lancelot has lived according to the knightly code, so well that he is “’the flower of knighthood’” (p.281). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In these pages, the inadequacy and even wickedness of knightly custom is exposed, and the critique of that code is applied to the model warrior, Lancelot.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Gawain and Sir Ector (pp. 351-356)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 353: Gawain is a Round Table knight in good standing, but this section shows how the c[FONT=&quot]ode accepted by these knights condoned a competitiveness that could result in deplorable death.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 356: Gawain’s response to the “challenge” of holiness is different from Lancelot’s; recall also Gawain on page 328.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Bors de Ganis (pp. 357-372)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 369: Lionel’s savagery here is an example of the kind of thing that might have been more common before the institution of the Round Table.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Malory notes 7.

[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Galahad (pp. 373-387)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 377: The editor’s notes and the index are often helpful, and you may find the information on pages 535 (to page 45), 550 (to page 314), 552-3 (to page 344) and 573 especially valuable for grasping the situation as regards the Maimed King, the Fisher King, etc. We will recall the Arthurian “matter” of a wounded king and a devastated land when we read T. S. Eliot’s The Waste Land.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Lancelot (pp. 388-394)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 391: A crucial episode. Why is Lancelot stricken impotent? [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ Of Sir Galahad (pp. 395-402)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lancelot attained as far as the Grail castle of Carbonek, while Galahad, Bors, and Percival attain “the city of Sarras in the spiritual palace.” How do their experiences while still at Carbonek resemble, differ from, Lancelot’s? What happens at Sarras?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]§ THE TALE OF SIR LANCELOT AND QUEEN GUENIVERE (pp. 403-467)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Identify the sources of tension within people and between people in several pages beginning on page 403.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 410: It might seem quaint to modern readers that “righteous judgment” could depend, for people in the world of Arthurian romance, in part on who was successful in a context of arms between warriors. It’s not quite so simple a matter as which of the two warriors is a better fighter. In this situation, the accused person benefits when people of high reputation are willing to stand up for them. Guenivere’s champions, sometimes Lancelot, but on this occasion Bors, are like “character witnesses” who appear at a trial to lend the prestige of their names and the impressiveness due them as respected people to the cause of an accused person.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Page 434: Elaine’s spiritual advisor has her best interests at heart – he knows there is no future with Lancelot for her. Her outcry, nevertheless, has real pathos, and is a striking example of eros in literature. Eros is one of the “four loves.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Four Loves[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]The ancient Greeks distinguished four kinds of love. Storge (pronounced with a hard G) is affection, such as parents have for their toddlers, or pet owners for a beloved dog or cat, or old-fashioned schoolmasters for pupils. It’s a love between non-equals. This loves gives a sense of comfort and security in daily life. In the world of books, accounts of storge might include stories about dogs, such as the Lassie books, and horses, such as Anna Sewell’s Black Beauty. A danger that may arise in storge is that the one who loves may wish for the beloved to be in a state of unwholesome dependency; this is a not uncommon problem in relations between parent and child. Philia (fee lee ah) is true friendship. This love is something more than the passing companionship of people who hang out together. It’s a deep loyalty and esteem that might last for the lifetimes of the friends. Often friendship develops when two or more people are involved with the same task or have similar interests. A familiar literary example is the friendship of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, and in the cinematic world, the friendship of Captain Jack Aubrey and ship’s surgeon Stephen Maturin in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Friendship may contribute much of the interest of life to those who love in this way, but friendship may go wrong by becoming cliquish. Eros (eh ros) is passionate love of man for woman or woman for man. Eros aspires to union with the beloved person – a union of souls, as well, usually, as of bodies. Literary examples are abundant; a good one is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë, which chronicles the growth of governess Jane for the aristocratic Lord Rochester, and his love for her, right up to the moment when Jane, who has been telling her story, joyfully announces: “Reader, I married him.” Coventry Patmore’s The Angel in the House is a series of poems describing eros within marriage. When eros is not disciplined by conscience and charity, its imperious demands may lead to idolatry, destruction and even death, as when the title character in Tolstoy’s novel Anna Karenina kills herself out of despair and jealousy directed towards her lover. Finally, agape (ah gah pee) is charity or self-giving love. While the other loves have a strong element of need, it’s of the essence of agape to give. Christ’s parable of the Good Samaritan, who crossed ethnic boundaries to assist an injured man who had nothing to give him in return, is an example of agape in action. The great poet Dante taught that the other loves need an element of agape so that they do not become selfish and destructive: “Set love in order,” he wrote.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](See the book The Four Loves by C. S. Lewis.) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What are some other examples, in Let Morte Darthur, of one or other of these four loves?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One of Lewis’s chief points, in The Four Loves, is that each of the other three loves is apt to make excessive, even idolatrous, demands, if it is not ruled by agape (charity) and reason. In this section and the final section of the Morte, we will see how the passion of Lancelot and Guinevere, prompting adultery, has devastating consequences.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]