Colored Chalk

Enjoyed this link a lot, but it spawned a real discussion around here.

Is it a dark sign that this word-play animation is required to get people to read a poem? Is published poetry in such dire straits that it requires gimmicky animation to get people (especially young people) to read poetry at all?

Or is it a wonderous opportunity to use the medium to help expose people to the power of words? Does the form of the animation effectively add to the power and significance of the printed work?

I have one foot in both camps. I enjoyed the graphic treatment of Staring Contest immensely, as well as the content and structure of the poem itself. If there is a concern, it may be that the animation will overtake the meaning of the words in determining what makes an effective work. The easy parallel, to my mind, is in the music video, where the visual content of the material is often more important than the song. (which explains the success of Van Halen)

Will substandard poetry receive more exposure and acknowledgment simply because its graphic content is more entertaining?

Back