Anna Tambour, author interview

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Ladies, Gents and other members of Chronicles: one of our moderators has succeeded in gaining agreement by Australian fantasist Anna Tambour to answer our questions. In order to facilitate this, we'll collect any questions here you'd like to ask the author and send them off to her to answer at her convenience. For those not familiar with her work, please check out her wonderfully eclectic website here.

Please, post questions here only to keep it as easy as possible for the questions to be gathered and tossed in her direction...

Ask away!!

I would be interested to know what inspired Ms. Tambour to take on the venerable deal-with-the-devil theme, in Spotted Lily, and how she was able to bring a fresh sensibility to an old story and create something so striking and original.

I note that 'Spotted Lily' is Anna's first published novel. I'd like to know how many books she has written before, if any, that did not make it into print. Also, whether the publication of this first book has led to either ideas, or deals for further books.

Has she had any short stories published in the past? If so, were they fantasy, or has she written previously in any other genres? Just nosey, I guess.

This actually might be interesting, a well thought of author by other authors I really enjoy (Hal Duncan, Jeff Vandermeer). Will look forward to it.

Naming characters drives me absolutely batty(er).:) I'd like to hear what Ms. Tambour has to say about how she names characters - where does she find names, how does she decide which names fit which characters, does she use names symbolically?

Thanks for the questions people, and keep 'em coming. I'll mail Ms. Tambour tomorrow so you have about 24 hours to add to the interrogation!

Also, you can read some of her short fiction here. Take a look - might give you ideas for more questions!

OK, so the part about having short stories published in my previous question seems a little defunct now. :eek: However, I'd also like to know whether Anna felt that getting her anthology of shorts published in any way contributed towards her getting a deal for her novel. Does she see writing short stories as a good preparation for writing novels, or does she view the two disciplines completely differently?

Anna seems to have a marked penchant for writing fables. My question is, was it a conscious decision ("the age we live in seems to be deficient in the production of new fables -- if no one else wants to write them, I will"), or just the way her mind works naturally?

I confess I've never read anything by this author before (bows head in shame) but if Jay says she's well respected by Hal Duncan and Jeff Vandermeer I'll be very interested to see the results of the interview and to explore her works.

Anyone know where a good starting point would be and Yes I know her website provides useful information but has anyone here read her stuff other than Kelpie's reference to Spotted Lilly or JP's link to her short stories???

Maybe if you could elaborate a little on Spotted Lilly Keplie that would be great?...:)

I haven't read the book, Gollum; no way of getting my hands on it so quickly; I just researched it around the web. JP needed questions, so I did what I could to come up with relevant ones. I did read the short stories, though.