A book about the Tuatha De Danna conquest of Ireland

svalbard

Supporter
Looking for this old book I read thirty or so years ago. It is about the conquest of Ireland by the Tuatha De Danann. However they are not gods. It is clear that they are a Celtic tribe. Features characters such as The Dagda, Lugh, Diancecth, Nuada, etc. All of them warriors or chieftains, not gods. The story is narrated by a character called Cian.

Yes he was. I think his relationship in the book is more complicated.

Cian was the son of Danu and Dian Cécht.
BTW, pronounce C as K - there is no soft C in Irish.
Yah, I don't like hearing the name of the basketball team. Feels like fingernails skreeeking on a chalkboard.

Looking for this old book I read thirty or so years ago. It is about the conquest of Ireland by the Tuatha De Danann. However they are not gods. It is clear that they are a Celtic tribe. Features characters such as The Dagda, Lugh, Diancecth, Nuada, etc. All of them warriors or chieftains, not gods. The story is narrated by a character called Cian.
So much literature on them, and I don't read much sword and sorcery; got interested in the Tuatha Dé Danann after watching the beautifully animated "Secret of Kells".

But Fantastic published at least one Sword and Sorcery type story on the Tuatha Dé Danann by Keith Taylor writing as Dennis More. ("The Atheling's Wife, 1976".) Haven't read it. Your description doesn't sound like science fiction, but this being a science fiction forum, that's the category I used in my searches.

But you mention it being a full book. I saw some other possible SF search results, like "The Conquest of the Moon Pool" (1940), a serial by A. Merritt, also run in Fantastic.

This may or may not get you started.

Thanks. The is not the book. There is little to no sorcery in it as far as I remember. It is a full book. Irish author I believe. Also think Gods or Kings or Warriors was somewhere in the title. And yes there is a lot of literature on the Tuatha De Danann to search through.

I have a rough outline.

Cian and his tribe arrive in Ireland. They fight the Fir Bolg and Fomorians. All as per legend. The book ends with the arrival of the Celtic Sons of Mil. As far as I recall the Tuatha and the Gaelic Sons of Mil are represented as being of the same tribe.

I think you are looking for the series Riders of the Sidhe by Kenneth C. Flint